Considering purchasing a 2005 Hunter 27

Oct 18, 2012
Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a 2005 Hunter 27 with the deluxe package? Can anyone who owns the boat tell of their general experience with it? Also, are the any particular things I should ask the surveyor to be on the lookout for when the boat is inspected? Thanks!

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I own a 2008 Hunter 27 at present but have been aboard a 2005 model. The only difference that I could see was the interior material (painted) as I have a cherry interior. That being said I've had the boat eight years and have had no problems to speak of. I primarily use it as a day sailor and take it for a day cruise (from Bellingham to Friday Harbor.). I have added many additions that make my boat enjoyable but I suspect the sailing characteristics are the same. This is one fine sailing boat. I have not had problems in the eight years I've had her.

On the other hand I have added many things like a three blade Max prop, a Webasto hot air furnace, a Raritan PHII head, companionway doors, and my WinchRite (I'm eighty-three so need help winching the sails in and out). I've also added a battery monitor and the new safe power cord system (see Mainsail this website on both of these items), I have a Raymarine autopilot and navigation items and I'm happy. I don't think there is a better boat on the market at the moment in this size. I still use the original sails and have added an asymmetrical chute which I hardly use.

For a more complete article on my boat you may be interested in Three Sheets Northwest blog that I wrote for them. file:///Users/lesblackwell/Desktop/Pacific%20Northwest%20Boating%20News:%20My%20Boat%20%7C%20Trumpeter%20%7C%20Three%20Sheets%20Northwest.webarchivefile: Feel free to write me if you have further questions.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I forgot to add that this was one of Hunter's last boats with a lead keel. Nice to have. Here is a picture of my 27.

trumpeter-fog.jpeg

Attachments

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
We also have the 2008 model but looked at two 2005's in the process. You didn't mention if you were looking at a deep or shoal keel model. Our broker was representing all three 27's, the two 2005's were shoal, the 2008 was a deep keel which he told us had better sailing characteristics. We ended up with the 2008 only partially for that reason and probably would have gone with the shoal keep if one of them was priced right but we got the 2008 for less than either of the 2005's. All that said...........The boat had everything we were looking for in a coastal cruiser. It is basically the same layout as the h33 but a smaller package. We have the in-mast furling which was on our must have list, the jib is about a 105% and is very easy to handle. The PO owner ordered the boat with the optional winch package which adds self tailing sheet winches next to the helm so I can easily single hand the boat. It weighs almost 800 pounds more than the h306 and only 300 pounds less than our old Island Packet 27. It handles the Lake Erie chop and large boat wakes very well, we are also very pleased with the sailing characteristics. It motors well, the little Yanmar will push us at 5-6 knots at cruising RPM with the factory prop. The cockpit is large and comfortable, we also have the folding wheel which is nice at the dock or anchor. The rail seats are a big hit. The anchor locker is deep, we replaced the Danforth style that came with the boat with a Lewmar claw that lives on the anchor roller and is easier to deploy. Down below there is storage everywhere, the aft cabin is comfortable and airy with the two opening ports(also a box to be checked on our list). We use the V-berth for storage mostly. We like the chart table and storage under. The head is serviceable with a sink and shower. The galley on ours has the dual fuel stove and a microwave, neither of which was ever used. Hot and cold pressure water. We also have the electric cooler under the galley sink which works well. The walk through transom and swim platform were also on the list and there is a transom shower. Another thing that I really like is that all the seacocks are under the cabin sole at the bottom of the companionway ladder, easy to get to. Same with the transducers for the instruments, just forward of the table. Access to the diesel is excellent with hatches and the companionway steps on gas struts.

Downsides: I think the lifelines are too low and not safe. I would have liked taller stanchions, these catch you calf high. The electrical panels are horrible. I have never seen anything like them. Breakers on the front and the back of the panels are a way less than an ideal setup. Access to the battery charger is difficult, it is located behind the electrical panels so the indicator lights on the charger are always hidden. Cockpit storage for fenders and docklines is VERY small. As far as survey tips? Our boat was winterized when surveyed so he missed that every faucet and shower was broken by the mechanic that winterized the boat for the PO. I had to replace them all. Our 110v wiring was done incorrectly, the microwave and stove were wired to the breaker marked hot water tank, the hot water tank breaker was labeled microwave. We added a couple of fans, the main cabin can get a little close with only the front hatch that opens. The PO also ordered the highwater alarm system for the bilge. There is indeed a high water alarm with a float switch that activates an alarm on the cockpit instrument panel, however the big pump and plumbing that was supposed to be part of that system was never installed. Hope all this helps. Craig

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
I re-read my post and realized I forgot some things. Access to the propshaft and packing gland is the best I have ever seen on any boat we have had. There are large hatch boards under the aft berth that come out so the packing is right there to adjust or replace. Access to the batteries is also excellent, they are located port side behind another panel in the aft cabin. Easy to service and remove for winter storage. The holding tank and most of the related plumbing is accessible behind this same hatch. There is a very clever sighting slot in the head that allows you to see the level of black water in the poly holding tank, no guessing and no expensive tank monitor required. The last thing you may run into is the digital hour meter built into the Yanmar tachometer, ours failed at some point when the PO owned the boat. He never cared, I replaced it with an analog unit this spring, we believe the Yanmar has about 70 hours on it. There are three h33's in our club, same vintage, all three have had their hour meters fail as well. Certainly not the boat's fault though.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Bumping this to the top because we are looking at a 27-3 right now. If anyone has more to share here, that would be great.

Jim, did you pull the trigger on the gal you were looking at in July? If so, how has it worked out so far? If not, did you purchase a different make/model?