Considering Autopilot upgrade on my 320

Sep 14, 2010
Catalina 320 Worton Creek, MD
I have a '97 Catalina 320 and it was outfitted with a RayMarine ST4000 Wheel drive autopilot when I bought her. The autopilot worked for a time but the Control Head went bad and couldn't be unlocked. I found a replacement for it and got it working again, but it does not hold a course for very long now. I suspect the compass is marginal. Anyway, once you've had a functional autopilot, you know that it is hard to do without. Of course, Ray Marine does not support this hardware any more and there is no "migration" route to integrate new Ray Marine technology into the old system. I have a lot of other Ray Marine electronics so I guess a Ray Marine Autopilot is the best way to go at this point. I want to know if anyone else out there has gone through an autopilot upgrade to the new Evolution series autopilots. I'm confused at what I would need for the connection to the helm. You would think there would be a table for stock boats like the 320 somewhere. Looks like I have to go with linear drive installed in the rudder housing.

If you have any intel on what is involved, I'd appreciate hearing from you before I go the route of getting a salesman and installer involved.
Thanks...

Dec 27, 2008
Catalina 350 Georgetown,MD
I have a '97 Catalina 320 and it was outfitted with a RayMarine ST4000 Wheel drive autopilot when I bought her. The autopilot worked for a time but the Control Head went bad and couldn't be unlocked. I found a replacement for it and got it working again, but it does not hold a course for very long now. I suspect the compass is marginal. Anyway, once you've had a functional autopilot, you know that it is hard to do without. Of course, Ray Marine does not support this hardware any more and there is no "migration" route to integrate new Ray Marine technology into the old system. I have a lot of other Ray Marine electronics so I guess a Ray Marine Autopilot is the best way to go at this point. I want to know if anyone else out there has gone through an autopilot upgrade to the new Evolution series autopilots. I'm confused at what I would need for the connection to the helm. You would think there would be a table for stock boats like the 320 somewhere. Looks like I have to go with linear drive installed in the rudder housing.

If you have any intel on what is involved, I'd appreciate hearing from you before I go the route of getting a salesman and installer involved.
Thanks...

I recently replaced my Raymarine ST5000+ autopilot with an EV200 sail autopilot. I selected a Raymarine replacement because I had Raymarine instruments and I was able to reuse the type 1 linear actuator and the rudder transducer.
The installation was straight forward. I mounted the computer and the EV sensor in the aft port locker. I mounted the P70 control head in the same position as the ST5000+ control head and then connected the units by the required cables. I did not reuse my compass sensor. This function was replaced by the EV sensor. My boat is presently Georgetown Yacht Basin. I will be moving it to Rock Hall in a week or two. If you would like to discuss this further, send me a PM with your phone number.
George
SV Air Mobility

Sep 14, 2010
I recently replaced my Raymarine ST5000+ autopilot with an EV200 sail autopilot. I selected a Raymarine replacement because I had Raymarine instruments and I was able to reuse the type 1 linear actuator and the rudder transducer.
The installation was straight forward. I mounted the computer and the EV sensor in the aft port locker. I mounted the P70 control head in the same position as the ST5000+ control head and then connected the units by the required cables. I did not reuse my compass sensor. This function was replaced by the EV sensor. My boat is presently Georgetown Yacht Basin. I will be moving it to Rock Hall in a week or two. If you would like to discuss this further, send me a PM with your phone number.
George
SV Air Mobility
Thanks George. Just what I was looking for. I have the wheel drive now, which is not compatable, so I would want to install the type 1 linear actuator and transducer then? Did you install them on your boat or were they already installed when you bought it? What kind of boat do you have?

Dec 27, 2008
Catalina 350 Georgetown,MD
Guy
The original autopilot (ST5000+)was on the boat when I bought it. For the EV 200 Sail package, I did not have to install the linear actuator or rudder follower(transducer). I reused these from the previous autopilot. The boat is a 2003 Catalina 350.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
Look at June 2013 Mainsheet Magazine. We published a linear install article in the C-320 Tech section.

Sep 14, 2010
Thanks! Just what I needed!

Look at June 2013 Mainsheet Magazine. We published a linear install article in the C-320 Tech section.
Thanks Chris! I just signed up for the C320 Association. I'm looking forward to reading the article. Does it have some nice pictures of the installation?