Considering a 79 Hunter 33

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Things happen on boats that can not always be explained. Sometime you just have to be there to see and understand it... Unless forensic science and engineering is in your blood.

Dec 2, 2018
Boatless 30 SWFL
Yes among other things my blood is contaminated by engineering. Everything fails for a reason, but discerning it is the challenge. Then again, I'm guilty of inappropriately applying a hammer, so maybe that's it after all.
Greg

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
I must say that I have a new appreciation of how much force a governor can exert.
Rest assured , Greg. the governor force did not bend the.limiter.
So, it must have been another FORCE.
Something was dropped on it?
Could not imagine anything in the engine room heavy enough to do that. Maybe starter motor, but not convinced.
Damaged when engine was being removed or reinstalled would be my guess. The weight of a swinging engine would probably do the trick.
Time to get a new one anyway.
gary

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
One more thought on your compression post. For reasons that I cannot explain, Hunter has the bilge water collect at the bow. It may come in at the stern, say, through the rudder post, but it still runs aside of the bilge, inside the hull, until it gets to the bow. There it accumulates, unseen, until it rises to a level higher than the fiberglass encasement block at the compression post base. Then, and only then, it flows over the block and into the bilge. The bilge is sloped toward the stern and there is the bilge pump. Why? Who can say? Anyway, the point is that your bow is low and the accumulated bilge water in the bow may be adding to your problem. This bilge water is also likely quite foul. When I replaced my compression post I added a pvc pipe that passes through the block to lower this barrier to the bilge water. Photo below:

IMG_0183.JPG

Dec 2, 2018
Boatless 30 SWFL
Gary,
The engine is still sitting in the boat, partially disassembled to make that limiter repair. Nothing beefy seemed to be in the vicinity that could have been the culprit, so most likely it is some sort of human error.
I appreciate your comments.
Greg

Dec 2, 2018
Boatless 30 SWFL
Roy,
I'll remember to follow your example if I have the pleasure of chiseling out the current post.
There seems to be a fillet of something behind the grounding strap attached to your mast. If I'm correct, does it serve a specific purpose?
Greg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If we are talking about the same item; I had a welder install a small flat aluminum plate about 1" square on the post base. I drilled and tapped that to attach the grounding bus. Important to note that there is a stainless steel washer between the copper bus and the aluminum post to prevent electrolysis. The plate was installed while the post was out of the boat.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Another issue is that the wires to the anchor light/ steaming light don't have continuity.
Does this mean that a continuity check failed between the red and black wires going to the lights. Couldn't burned out bulbs cause this?