Confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcus Hart

I recently purchased a '78 H27. The traveler is in the cockpit. I have seen many pictures of other boats that have "split" arrangement on the coach roof. If you know what I am talking about I would appreciate some enlightenment on this arrangement and whether or not it is vialbe for my boat. Thanks.

P

Pat Spino

Traveler

Marcus, The traveler located in the cockpit has advantages and disadvantages. The major disadvantage is that it takes up cockpit space and is "in the way". However, it allows for easier and better control with less load stress on the boom. It is possible to convert to a coachroof system, not without considerable expense and effort. You will have to research the components to find out what is best for your application. Realize that you will not just be purchasing the traveler, but also the considerable hardware necessary for installing it. You will need a number of blocks, boom fittings, coachroof fittings, turning block at the mast base, backing plates or large fender washers on the underside of the coachroof, etc. Not to mention the necessity of installing a rope clutch. When the job is complete you may find that the loss of control you have traded for more cockpit space is not worth the expense and effort. Before you do anything, sail on a boat with the coachroof system. When I had a 33' boat with end boom sheeting I was able to single hand with ease; something else to consider. PAT

D

David Foster

Happy with the cockpit traveler

on our '77 h27. It's very compatible with (the future plan to mount) seats on the stern pulpit tubing, and hasn't presented problems daysailing with up to 6 people. Our normal configuration is just the Admiral and me. I admit that I haven't thought through a bimini yet.

J

John J. Brady

Keep what you have

I have an 84 H27 with the "Roof System" I have been on a 76 H27 with th e cockpit floor traveler. The cockpit floor system is better in my opinion. Its easier to control and gives you 2 to 3 deg. upwind, and that was with an H27 I sailed only once compared to 16 years. The only reason I never changed mine was the roof version is first $ and now that I have that, the rrof model is more child proof. With 2 littleones running around in the cockpit, it better to be up and out of the way from them.

E

Ed Schenck

Just upgraded.

My H37C traveller is also on the bridgedeck in the cockpit. But the mainsheet went forward under the boom and back to a winch mounted next to the companionway. Does the H27 do that? In 1981 or '82 the H37C came standard with mid-boom sheeting. I recently installed new Garhauer fiddle blocks with cam cleat so everything stays in the cockpit. There was too much resistance before. One downside is you can never have a full cockpit enclosure, bimini tied to dodger, while sailing.

R

red coles

End boom sheeting

Hello Marcus: I too, have an '78 h27. My setup is end boom sheeting. The traveler is mounted to the rear of the boom, over the "icebox". I also have a large bimini. I feel the end boom setup gives me a large mechanical advantage, and with the vang I can really haul the main tight, if needed. This arrangement, gives maximum space in the cockpit. Wish I could take credit for it, but it was genius of previous owner. Good luck red

T

TOM MANALILI

SIX SHEAVE BLOCK MAIN CONTROL

THIS SIX BLOCK WORKS WELL ONLY WITH THE ADDITION OF A 4 TO 1 BOOM VANG, WITH OUT IT, THE MAST RAISES AND DUMPS AIR OFF YOUR UPPER LEACH AREA, WHICH IS NOT EFFICIENT, KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE OR MOVE TO THE TOP OF THE CABIN, ADDING BAILS TO THE MID PT. OF YOUR BOOM.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
H-27 traveller, again.

Once again this topic comes up. If you are interested look up my comments from like December in the Archives under 'H-27 Traveller'. The short version is that from a sailing standpoint ANYTHING is better than the '60's-style split-sheetline arrangement made necessary by Hunter's wish to not have a traveller blocking the cockpit. Also- if you are too interested in flying a Bimini top under way you probably are not doing serious sailing and so it may not matter to you where the traveller is then. JC

M

Marcus Hart

Thanks for the input

Thanks to all for the input. I am new to sailing and was merely asking for input on which is better. All of the pictures I hava seen of these Hunters show either the split sheeting or cabin top arrangements. It seems as though everyone agrees that the cockpit traveler is best. Again thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.