Computer Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Sawyer

From reading the many posts on this topic, I think I may be in the market for a computer navigation system for my boat. I like the idea of seeing exactly where you are on a computer generated map and the ability of adding waypoints on the run. Now I would like to get the best value for the least cost. The following are my ideas and concerns: Software- it appears that many have and are satisfied with Capt'n-First Mate - $175? Is anyone using a less expensive program that they like? Computer - One can purchase a used laptop for about $200 to $600 (see usedlaptops.com)depending upon system size. What are the system requirements for Capt'n and what are the port requirement to interface with a GPS? GPS- I presently have a Garmin 12. Is this compatible with Capt'n? Other- Should I be thinking of some sort of mounting and covering for the computer to keep it dry? I think it's an interesting topic, and I would like to get your thoughts on this. Thanks and safe sailing, Bob

D

Dave

Compuuter Charts

Bob: I, too, completed getting computerized charts...Used e-bay for the laptop source...$250 for a nice Dell 150 which works fine...Am using ChartView Pro and that seems o.k.....Hooked mine up to a Garmin 100 and that too is working fine...Laptop needs to have a serial port (some of the newer ones do not have this)...You just hook to two of the 9 pins in the connector....Problem to think about is recharging of the laptop internal battery since you may or may not have a generator on board....I purchased an inverter to take care of this problem, but have yet to try it out....We do long races, and don't have the priviledge of using engine power for long periods, so stay tuned for how this works out....Charts and system work super....When you hook it up and it puts you right in your marina stall you know that things are working o.k. Good luck....I't a great world we live in....

G

Gary

Computer

Bob I have an IBM 120 with chartview and a magellan gps. I'm waiting for the cord to arrive in the mail so I can connect to the laptop. I am on a mooring in Ponaug my boat is Surface Feet. E mail me and I would be happy to show you my setup. GKolc@aol Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.