compression post repair failure

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
There shouldn’t be a ‘block of wood below the post...’ That piece is solid fiberglass on my ‘86 34. Unfortunately, it’s very damaged...

A perfect Compression post won’t do you any good until that support is repaired.

I have found all these posts very informative and it has helped me begin the repairs on my compression post my 1984 H31. I have all the symptoms of the well documented failures of the compression post. Mine was rotted out through-out and very wet. Funny enough, the top beam is completely dry and not rotted. So here is my issue, what I found was that the top beam is dry and not rotted, water infiltration from passthru cable tube and compression post rotted but what I have found on my boat is the block of wood below the the post was soaked and rotted, I suspect that this partly gave way and the post dropped. I have not found any repair/replacement for this issue. I would require help and suggestions. The block of wood is placed so the grain of the wood is vertical and it is encased in some sort "basket" made from fibreglass (im guessing to keep it dry from the water from the head on it's way to the bilge). Has anyone done this repair also? I have attached some pictures.

Michael