Compression post rebuild

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
I have a 1979 Hunter 30 and I'm having issues with the compression post. The piece that is in the bilge was steel and is completely rusted in half, not sure if that is something a PO did because most people say they had an I Beam in there boat where as mine is a steel Square tubing glasses in. Also I noticed I have maybe 1/2" to 3/4" drop in the deck step around the mast. Water is pouring in through the wires that come out of the mast into the cabin roof . The post has a crack in it so I would like to replace it as well. The door to the V berth does shut perfectly but there isn't a door for the head.... Any pics or info on this particular problem would be much appreciated.

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The compression post (located behind the teak facia in your pics) sits on a mast step in the bilge.
I see the metal rod, but can't make out the 'square tubing mast step', unless it's the gray item behind the round, bent rod.
There are a number of posts in the archives on this site relating to "Compression Post" and "Mast Step" repairs.
The water leak is a matter of removing the mast, routing the wires above the cabin top in a way that they have a 'drip loop', resealing the mast plate entry hole(s) and reinstalling the mast.
The head door was a slider on the '79's and I assume that was the case for your 1980 model. It was probably scrapped by a PO after it broke/wouldn't slide due to cabin liner/bracket deformation. A cabinet shop could make a new one if you can get the materials.
You could send me a Private Message if you would like more detail.
G.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
This is a common question which I answered in my blog, 'Diana's Blog', on Blogspot.
It might benefit the community if you could make a file to store here in SBO, then we could point to it when this question arises. I went to look for the blog you wrote and cannot access it.

Just a thought.

dj

Jun 11, 2019
Hunter 30 Port Canaveral
Ok so as of now i have replaced the compression post base in bilge area and I have replaced the compression post itself in the cabin. So now I'm working on the mast step. I removed the step and the deck around seems solid. There is a slight sag around where the mast step sat, I'm thinking that over the years P.O.s have re tightened the rigging because of the post collapsing and it smushed the deck don't slightly, maybe 1/4". My question now is, is it ok to just fill in the sunk area with fiberglass to build it back up even and then bolt the step back on? Or should I fiberglass the sink in area and and then install something like a 1/4" piece of aluminum over the fiberglass and then install the step. Just wondering if using only fiberglass will be good enough to hold the weight of the mast.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You should watch "Boatworks Today" on YouTube to learn how to properly rebuild the depressed area It gets a little confusing trying to write this out long hand but if you will send me a private message (Click on my User Name under my avatar) with a contact phone number I will be happy to discuss the details.

Last edited: