Companionway

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
Hello Mates
Bugs this year were terrible. Anyone know of a reasonable priced Sunbrella companionway cover with screen for a 310? One that will roll up it's screen cover for air and light and preferably fasten to boat with Velcro.
Thanks
Frank
Lake Carlyle, Ill.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Look at Sailrite.com for Pifertex (sp?). It is a vinyl mesh in colors and a couple of grades. Can be sewn to Sunbrella or whatever.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We have the Zarcor doors for our boat and love them. They have several inserts that slip into the door frame - smoke/opaque/screen and work well.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
We have the Zarcor doors for our boat and love them. They have several inserts that slip into the door frame - smoke/opaque/screen and work well.
Our boat came with these as well. Pretty cool opening a door to get in and out. The screen inserts look kinda small, but we wont know if they are too small until next summer.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have doors similar to the Zarcor, made them out of 1/4" aluminium for security since the Zarcor ones could be kicked in easily. We also have a screen that looks like the cover Bernie put out. Those are both on 90% of the time this time of year. We also got ride of the factory screens for the hatches and just made new ones from screen and Velcro. The go up and down much quicker. And they store a lot easier.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have and have used our Zarcor doors, we also have a sunbrella mesh with a zipper sewn onto it and our bimini for sun protection but its mesh and lets the breeze through. On lake Erie our big bug is Mayflies, an annoyance more than anything!
Jesse, we have the lewmar portal screens but have never used them, what photo can you share of what you have ? Thanks

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
I like the Zarcor doors but don't want to spend that kind of money. I was thinking of a Sunbrella cover with a screen. I've seen them on boats. Guess I will check Pinterest. I know of a U-tube video that shows how to make one. Maybe next year. Thanks

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Jesse, could you share your design. I'm looking at doing mine over the winter. ( Lewmar screens totally S..K! )
I was thinking of magnets but your idea seems interesting.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates:clap:

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
The screens in the Zarcor doors seem kinda small for those hot summer nights on anchor. Our Cat 27 had a two piece wood frame with a screen, while it was very poorly made by the previous owner, it provided great ventilation. I made mine from Ash and the screens are set in a saw kerf with screen spline, tight as a drum. Test fit this weekend.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is very nicely done.:thumbup:
Is that your inlay work on the table underneath too? Walnut in cherry?
I'm working on another set of hatch boards
pic_20171208_071300.jpg
But, I feel inspired to do a set of screens now. I hope you don't mind if I use those as my guides.
- Will (Dragonfly)

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Yes I built the table many years ago, seen a lot of use. Walnut and cherry. There is a hunters star of walnut burl inlaid just to left, out of frame.

You are an artist, very nice, I am just a creator of things. I am thinking I may make new companionway boards and router our boats name on one of the boards, just to add a bit of uniqueness. Probably us some locust wood, since that is completely impervious to rot, mother natures treated lumber.

I sized the screens with my existing boards, that is why they are not symmetrical. That way if I only wanted to use the top or bottom screen I could do so by replacing one screen with the boards. Another cool tidbit, is the ash came from trees I cut down and sawed on my sawmill.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I went on sailrite .com and saw Demo of a sunbrella companion cover with built in screen and got my wife to make one with her portable sewing machine and only time she ever made canvas for boat and canvas shop wanted $350.00,got everything from sailrite.
Nick

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Frank, if you would like to go with something very simple and really cheap cheap consider a wood top and bottom frame to match the companionway and screening from top to bottom glued in place. it works for bugs, lets in light, rolls up and did I mention cheap.
companionway screen.jpg
companionway screen.jpg companionway screen.jpg