Companion Way Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carla

We have a 1979 Pearson 30 we've owned for a couple years. It came with 2 sets of hatchboard doors (2 piece) Unfortunately, they are not in good shape and we need to replace them. Does anyone know of a source specifically for Pearsons? The marina where my boat is wintering gave me an estimate of $900 which almost knocked me over. Thanks, Carla

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
options

Assuming that these are teak boards that lay horizontally inserted in the channels at each side of the companionway, I am guessing that they are pricing new solid teak all varnished up & ready to go. The varnishing represents a lot of labor, but there are also alternatives to teak if it does not have to match. Various mahoganies, even painted exterior grade MDO (smooth face) plywood. Boulter Plywood (boulterplywood.com) has a 1/2 sheet of teak A1 plywood for $65 if you can do your own cutting & varnishing. Most any woodworking shop (that's what I do) could reproduce them from the originals. The yard may be buying them from a shop & not making them themselves, so that adds extra cost. BTW when I made a new board for my P-34 I cut a louver vent into it to maintain some air circulation when she's closed up.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
hatch boards

I do not think there is a specific source for Pearson. I have a P303 and it had 2 plywood hatch boards... kind of painted maroonish with a white laminate on the inside. I went to a quality lumberyard where they mill out all sorts of stair parts, flooring and the like. I picked out a piece of teak (board in the rough)and they milled it down to the required thickness and squared the edges. To make a long story short it cost about $175 dollars for the lumber milled. I cut it to length (3 pieces now), put a bevel on it, a gazillion coats of varnish... and its done. I will send a before and after picture for you later this week. It looks like a million bucks. Happy Milling

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hatchboards and doors

If you want hatchboards give us a call, we've got some coming online shortly. 877-932-7245. If you need doors, there are only two sources I know of: http://www.cruisingconcepts.com teak, gorgeous, expensive http://www.zarcor.com starboard or HDPE, a bit less expensive

G

Gail

Great winter project

If you are handy you can make your own. Or if you have a friend/relative that is handy, tell them that new hatchboards make a lovely Christmas gift! Seriously, we hired a friend of ours to make new hatch boards for us. He made four out of solid teak, and then my husband made a couple more that are teak framed screens. We can mix and match depending on weather.

Nov 26, 2007
- - Horton Bay, MI
Some pics in the project forum

Carla, That does sound pretty steep for hatchboards, but they may be 'fully finished' as pointed out. See if you can get them as bare wood and do the rest yourself. If you are interested in doors, check out the photo forum (http://www.sailboatowners.com/upload/menu.tpl?fno=203) - enter an asterisk in the search field and it'll pull up all items. There are several companionway door projects, including some pictures of the cruising concepts doors (which are, as Phil points out, gorgeous!) Dave C s/v Wind Dreamer II - P303 pearsonowners.com

Nov 28, 2007
Pearson 30 Coaster Fresh Creek, Andros Island, Bahamas
Companionway Doors....

I sympathize with you completely! I have a '68 P-30 Coaster I bought on eBay in April, and just pulled her. The companion way door being one of the forty-twelve chores to complete. If you have the time and the wherewithals, I chose to make some louvered teak doors. West Marine has a Louvered door kit which is very straight forward and looks amazing(I've seen in on an Endeavor 36 in our harbor). I got the kit for just @ $200.00 for my Pearson 30 from West Marine. I'm sure there's cheaper places to find teak, but the slat slots are already cut on the side pieces (which alone is worth the 2 bills in mine opinion). Once hinges which accommodate the removal and stowage of said doors are attached it really adds to the appeal of older boats, not to mention what the louvered slats do to keeping the cabin drier. Pictures of S/V Moxie are plentiful on my website. Hope this helps.

T

Thom

Starboard

I suspect any boards almost any boat would have to be custom built. But that price seems a bit high even so. Our 303 has what I assume to be Starboard. A dense white plastic of some sort. A bit cheaper than teak and no maintenance. Having seen the short life of high quality urethane in Florida (on the good little boat which did not leak,) this is one thing that the PO did that I like. One other change from tradition is that the mating edges are not beveled but instead are stepped. Squared off "Z" shape. Ours is a two board arrangement and fairly heavy. A clever person could come up w/ an arrangement that allowed for screens and/ or windows. Thanks, Thom

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
screens

I have a real simple set-up that works. Basically the screen is cut about 1" larger than the opening when hemmed. A 2" wide piece of teak is split down the middle... screen is stapled and sandwiched between the to halves and screwed together with brass screws. Or if you like to work with wood... you could make some sort of spline or male to female cut to hold the screen and forget about the staples. The same is done for the top... nothing for the sides. The weight of the bottom piece of teak keeps the screen down... the top piece can only slide down so far as the opening is beveled. When stored... the screen can all be rolled up around pieces of wood. Works great and takes up no space!

G

George Haynie

Companionway boards

I used a composite material that I got at a building supply yard. It was about 14" wide x 3/4"Thick and 19' long, white and required no maintenance whatever.
I simply cut it out to fit the the companionway, routed it on edges to fit the guides in the opening and there we are. Whole piece of material was about 70.00. I used it for other projects on the boat as well.
George Haynie

A

Alan Dyer

Compainon Way Door

I have the same issue with the P30 we recently bought. I purchased a 3/4" thick 1/2 sheet of teak plywood for $75, and plan on using the older doors as a tracing model. I will cut them with a high speed jig saw with a finish blade. I will make a 1/4" or 3/8" (haven't measured yet) overlap cut on each piece, with my table saw and varnish them until I'm satisfied with the finish. Your boat yard is ripping you off.

You could also use a good quality 3/4" thick 1/2 sheet of marine plywood finished on both sides, stain it or paint it your choice of color,and seal it with a marine grade of polyurethane.

Status
Not open for further replies.