COMPANION WAY COVER REPAIR

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
On my 30 O'day, the companion way sliding cover is deteriorating. Its soft and has cracks. My aim is to remove it, put a temporary cover on, covered by a tarp.
I was thinking of following these steps, but as always, I look for advice.
1) Cut away the inside liner exposing the rotten balsa core. By cutting a scribed edge all the way around, I am hoping to reuse the liner.
2) Clean out the the entire core.
3) Fiberglass a layer of cloth on the inside of the top, to hold the topside in place.
4) Create an interlocking frame out of PVC board, shaped to the top, thick enough to allow the liner to lay flat in it's original place.
5)Tab in the rigid frame using fiberglass cloth.
6) Fill in squares with expanding foam (small cell)
7) When cured, removed excess by shaving away, shaping the new core to allow the liner to sit again in its original place.
Image.jpg

8) replace liner and cement in place. Seal cut edges to make a finished look with fiberglass. Sand smooth and apply some epoxy paint.

So what do you all think of my plan of action?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Will epoxy bond to the PVC? If not it will be delaminated. Why not use divynicell or other material made for cores? Probably a lot easier to shape than PVC board. Otherwise plan sounds good.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like you will be removingscore material from the slide. This stiffens the slide. So you need to replace the core material.

I just saw a “Boatworks Today” video where Andy was using a material “Coosa”. He bought, a composite that works like wood core but is not wood. Can be fiberglassed and shaped. It might be what you are looking for.

Here is a link to the video.https://www.boatworkstoday.com/videos/hands-on-with-the-new-coring-material-for-the-bertram-project-coosa/

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Here's a link to core material that is already scored to conform to curved surfaces. Might be available elsewhere for less? Divinycell H80
You probably want to vacuum bag it when you put the inside liner back on and you should put a couple layers of glass cloth under the liner overlapping the joint where you cut it to get strength back otherwise where the cut joint is will be a weak spot as only cured resin will support any bending from foot traffic or other weights that might be put on the hatch cover. Plain resin is weak it is the glass cloth that provides the strength in a laminate. I'm not familiar with the "Coosa" recommended above so research that also.

Oct 22, 2014
@jibes138 I also was unaware about COOSA. Watching the video. I looks like something to add to the resource list. Half inch stuff cuts/shapes like plywood. Looks like a laminate. Very low moisture absorption. 3 layers of polyester resin and mat on both sides give it a 1/4 inch build that looks strong enough to take the blow of a sledge hammer with out break or delimitation of the built up laminate.

Have no idea how costly but as an alternate to quality marine ply it maybe a good resource item. Appears to have some advantages over Starboard.

Oct 22, 2014
Did you contact the company in AL. Their website is posted. How big of a piece do you need?