Comments wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

I am considering the purchase of an 84 C27, with the Universal 14hp diesel. The boat appears to be in good shape, but I'd welcome general comments on: the boat, the engine, blisters, things to watch out for, etc. All input is appreciated! Paul

M

Melody Miller

Beware the Blister

Hi Paul: You just missed a series of messages about blisters and blister repair wherein some comments were made about boats made in the mid 80's. If memory serves, Catalina boats made during this period seem to be a little prone to blisters and perhaps it was an industry-wide problem. Some people will tell you it had to do with the oil embargo and the quality of resins. I don't know. You might want to search the archives using blisters as the key word - the messages I refer to will be there. Otherwise, Catalina seems to be a good boat and if you're not planning on taking too many people aboard, like maybe 4 people besides yourself, 27 is an O.K. length. However, before you buy a 27, look at a 30. I hear the difference is considerable. Good Luck Melody .

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Great boat!

Melody is right - you have to watch out for blisters but they're usually not structural. If you get a good enough deal on the boat, it could be worth it. My boat had just under a zillion tiny (eraser head sized) blisters but I used that as a bargaining tool to get a screaming deal. As anyone would tell you, have a thorough survey done of any boat you're considering buying. It could save you a lot of emotional pain if something major is wrong. Suck it up & have it done - especially on a newer model w/a diesel. Good luck! LaDonna

P

patrick e. boole

cat.27

my first catalina was a 27 and it was a truly fun boat to take on the bay. my family is large and it didn't take long for them to start grumbling about spending the night onboard. i moved to a 30 and it was the right step. i can keep this one forever and not out grow it. there is such a difference in the 27 to the 30. i still have the 27 and when i want to bury the rail i take it out.

J

John Hunley

My 27

I purchased my 1984, 27 three summers ago. I found a few thumb size blisters when I had her hauled. These were easily repaired and I only found a few new ones last year. In my openion, not too bad for a boat of this age. The eng,the same as the one you are considering, had fewer than 300 hours when I bought her. It hasn't used any oil and runs reliablie. Like you, I was concerned about what kind of trouble I could run into buying a used boat. I feel strongly that some of the best money you can spend before purching a boat is for a professional survey. It is a little more money up front but, it lets you know about additional expenses you could be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.