Coming Home just got more expensive - DTOPS FEE GOES UP

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
A Canadian comment...
I had a Catalina 30, which was registered as 29'11" and did not need the sticker. The downfall to this, is when I entered the first port in US waters, I had to call in and tell them my complete itinerary of ports of call. And then call in at each port when I landed. This would be horrendous if heading down the inter coastal!! The sticker allows us to enter US waters and report once, each port after that does not need a report. This may have changed, but it was this way 5-10 years ago.
Cheers
dj

CFOX

Oct 21, 2019
Hunter Passage 456 Toronto
Received my email notification today.

2020 Decal/Transponder Renewal Reminder
2020 Renewals are now available!
*Notice* DTOPS User Fees are increasing for both decals and transponders effective 10/1/2019.​

• Decals will increase to $29.47
If you have a boat that needs a sticker we just got tagged for more fees to come home.
REALLY!!!!!!!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
They actually notified us in September of the higher fee and withheld our decal until we sent them a new payment.
This was after we had already cleared customs in the US. We had applied for the sticker in august when we left for Canada. The US customs person who took our check said nothing. When we came back we cleared with the paperwork because we didn't have our decal yet.
After we got home we were notified of insufficient payment. It probably costs more to ask for the additional funds that what they got.
I'm actually surprised this just be hearing this now.

I'm thinking of sawing an inch off my bow.

Ken

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
REALLY!!!!!!!
FOR CANADIANS INFO ONLY

CFOX, to the best of my knowledge the requirement for a DTOPS applies to US boaters only. Canadian boaters should only require a "Cruising Permit" which initially costs $19(US) for a Vessel Entrance form, is good for 1 year and if you renew the permit before it expires there is no further fee. This is correct at least for the waters of the Pacific North West (ie Puget Sound area) but I assume this applies to all US Ports of Entry. Here are a couple of links to read over:

Quotes from the latter link: "It seems that although the rules are there, the application is haphazard." And "NOTE: Foreign-flagged yachts issued with a Cruising License do not require a Decal. This is a requirement for US vessels only."

This particular discussion (Canadian requirements) probably should have a thread of its own and if I have stated something that is incorrect please let me know.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
There was discussion about boats in CA crossing back from Mexican waters having to check in with Customs or not. The San Diego port documents simply say "...from Mexican waters" but I thought they had worked out something for guys that were sailing or fishing had an exemption, but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone from San Diego can weigh in.