Coming Home just got more expensive - DTOPS FEE GOES UP

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Received my email notification today.

2020 Decal/Transponder Renewal Reminder
2020 Renewals are now available!
*Notice* DTOPS User Fees are increasing for both decals and transponders effective 10/1/2019.​

• Decals will increase to $29.47
If you have a boat that needs a sticker we just got tagged for more fees to come home.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Or, keep her under 30'. Who needs to cruise the world in a bigger boat, anyhow?

Maybe the answer is to buy a boat in the States, don't bother with the sticker, and when you're ready to come home, sell her and fly home. That way, we clear all those cheap used boats out and make room for more new boats. How else are we going to address the marina over crowding issue and shorten those wait lists?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It has been many years since the fee was increased, at least 5 or 6. While inflation isn't running rampant, it is still clicking along at about 1.5% or so. Over time that adds up. So the increase doesn't concern, however, I still don't understand why recreational boats need the sticker. I understand the transponder for truck traffic, it makes clearing customs faster. But recreational boats? And boats that clear with the ROAM app? Why?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Received my email notification today.

2020 Decal/Transponder Renewal Reminder
2020 Renewals are now available!
*Notice* DTOPS User Fees are increasing for both decals and transponders effective 10/1/2019.​

• Decals will increase to $29.47
If you have a boat that needs a sticker we just got tagged for more fees to come home.
I am going to ask a question based upon pure ignorance...

What is this DTOPS thing? :rolleyes:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am going to ask a question based upon pure ignorance...

What is this DTOPS thing? :rolleyes:
If your boat is over 30 feet and is entering the country you need to have a DTOPs Decal. It was designed to make crossing the boarder is easier and quicker as all the vessel in formation was collected prior to arriving at the border. With multiple border crossings, the time savings was worth the money. Commercial trucks have a similar program with transponders. CBP DTOPS

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So what qualifies as "coming home" or "crossing"? Do you have to actually tie a line to foreign soil or just cross some imaginary line in the water?

Oct 22, 2014
If you stay afloat in the water you can sight see from the boat on either side of the USA / Canadian border according too the present treaties. So I can sail into and out of Canadian waters with out checking in, as long as I do not anchor or step onto Canadian soil (take the dingy ashore). As soon as one comes ashore or anchors they are required to Talk to the MAN! Answer the questions and declare their intentions.

Once you check in with the Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) you have “Left the USA”. You are then required to check in with Customs Border Patrol (CBD) upon returning to USA waters.

As I understand the treaty was designed to address US fishermen transiting from US thru Candian protected waters on to Alaskan waters. If they make the transit they are not required to contact CBSA. We all are subject to being stopped and boarded while in foreign waters. You just need to understand the rules and be able to articulate your situation when asked.... “What is your boat Customs number?”

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
When I cleared at Point Roberts a few years ago, the agent seemed indignant that I had not purchased a tab beforehand. Rather than thinking out loud, why on earth should I purchase a decal if my sail plan does not include a crossing? And again not thinking out loud, why is it that I can cross the border in a car without a decal? Stuff like this just makes me wonder the real purpose. Grrr.

Oct 22, 2014
Can I have my time back (from reading this)?
Sure send the bill... The check will be in the mail..:laugh:

Reason I posted the notice was awareness. Last year I took 3 weeks to apply. Then congress failed to vote on the appropriations bill. The decals were delayed in issue until late March.