Comanionway used Catalina 22 SOLVED

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Looking for a pattern or old boards to restore or make replicas. Pattern would be great.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would like to suggest some cardboard to make your own patterns. My experience with this is there are often variations in the production process and what fits your Cat 22, may be a little off in another Cat 22. My own Mariner 19 companionway is just off symmetrical even though it was obviously designed to be symmetrical.
I pointed this out on another thread about companionway hatch boards and several other posters went and compared measurements, they showed surprising variations in same model boats.
Here's a link to my own project post, however all the useful and nifty pictures seem to have disappeared. It's an old post and they may have removed them to save server space. Artistic Flair to Companionway Hatch Boards: Very lengthy project post
So here's a picture of the end product.
20170815_225742.jpg

Don't forget to add the overlap between the boards to your board widths when you cut them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Show-off!:beer:

BTW: Will burned a picture for me that was modeled off of a picture of me and my kids on a boat. LOVE IT! A pic is buried someplace in the archives of this forum.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Someday when I build my Viking long boat... you will have to come and do a large scale burn on my gunwale. :biggrin:
I love the longboat project. Not to hijack gtg's thread, but the longboat project would bring me full circle. The very first woodburnings I ever did were props for my son's birthday party. It was an archeology mystery theme and I made and half-buried 8 Viking shields in the outline of a longboat. I burned them with runes the kids had to translate. It was a pretty elaborate party and took two days.

-Will (Dragonfly)

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
I love the longboat project. Not to hijack gtg's thread, but the longboat project would bring me full circle. The very first woodburnings I ever did were props for my son's birthday party. It was an archeology mystery theme and I made and half-buried 8 Viking shields in the outline of a longboat. I burned them with runes the kids had to translate. It was a pretty elaborate party and took two days.

-Will (Dragonfly)
The cardboard pattern is the perfect solution. I hope to burn an image now too. Will mark as solved.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
I have a set of C22 cribs, and surround teak available in Annapolis
Interested. Please contact me. I have to figure out how to message you. Figured it out. Different browser works wonders.

Last edited: