Com-Pac Suncat Mast Mod

Dec 6, 2006
- - Independence, Mo.
Removing the sail today reminded me that it's not an easy job. It requires removing the pivot bolts from the tabernacle and removing the mast to get the sail slides out of the lower mast section, then re-installing the mast to the tabernacle after sliding the sail out of the gaff and boom. Normal position for the sail slides, boom, and gaff is above the tabernacle, held there with a pin across the tabernacle. Removing the pin allows the boom, sail slides, and gaff to go below the tabernacle in the sail slide slot in the lower mast section which allows lowering the mast for trailering. I am considering installing a mast gate (or sail track gate) from Catalina Direct so the sail slides and sail can be removed from below the tabernacle without having to remove the mast each time. (The mast gate is cover plate that is removeable with a couple of screws allowing a wider (modified) opening to let the sail slides out of the slot.) I've modified the mast and installed the gates on a previous sailboat (Catalina 22) and was very pleased with it and never had any problems. Any thoughts on this?
20180703_172726c.jpg
20180708_122611c.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I can't think of any reason you couldn't do what you're describing, but pictures of the mast and tabernacle would help.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had not seen that system before.
Bit clever. It appears that the intent is to leave the sail, gaff, and boom rigged (look at sail bag on the boom) and just drop the upper section of the mast for transport/storage.

With the upper mast section down, can you remove the upper section from the tabernacle? If so, I would think you could lift the boom, gaff, and sail up and off the stub base.

Is this not the case?