Com Pac 19 - Long Island Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmo0n

Oct 11, 2009
none none none
I am at least a couple years form making this happen, but I am doing my homework.
This question is about specifically a Com Pac 19.
I would like to sail the waters of Long Island Sound. Let's say for example Mystic Ct
to Montauk NY. Will the Com Pac 19 fit the bill?" I am talking about a forcasted nice and calm day. I am not a thrill seeker and consider me a sailor of average experience.
I want to find somthing I can trailer (without it being a royal pain to unload and load).
I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times, I could not find anything posted.

(I did mange to post this to the plumbing site the first time...hopefully it is nota problem)

Thanks, --Keith

A

Al L

Com Pac 19

I am at least a couple years form making this happen, but I am doing my homework.
This question is about specifically a Com Pac 19.
I would like to sail the waters of Long Island Sound. Let's say for example Mystic Ct
to Montauk NY. Will the Com Pac 19 fit the bill?" I am talking about a forcasted nice and calm day. I am not a thrill seeker and consider me a sailor of average experience.
I want to find somthing I can trailer (without it being a royal pain to unload and load).
I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times, I could not find anything posted.

(I did mange to post this to the plumbing site the first time...hopefully it is nota problem)

Thanks, --Keith
I have a Com Pac 27-2...and there is Com Pac 19 in our harbor...Padanaram. This is part of Buzzard's Bay, The Com Pac is a very sea worthy boat...built for comfort not for speed...I think you would do very well...as I think that your area is very comarible to the Buzzard Bay area we sail in...the Com Pac 19 is out there saling with the rest of the big boys!

Enjoy you sailboat

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Pretty well done review of the Com Pac 19 in the current (Sept/Oct) edition of "Good Old Boat" magazine.

Sep 8, 2009
Island Packet 31 Cutter/Centerboard Federal Point Yacht Club, Carolina Beach, NC

Last edited:

xmo0n

Oct 11, 2009
none none none
Thanks

Great info and pictures. Taht is a really nice sailboat. Wow.

Keith,

We have an 89' Compac 19/3 named Pachebella that was purchased from a sailor who sailed her on Long Island Sound. The Compac 19 is a very capable and seaworthy sailboat designed by Navel Architect Bob Johnson, who designs the Island Packets. The Compac 19 has a B/D ratio of .40, meaning the 800# keel is 40% of the total displacement of 2,000#. She's a very stable sailboat because of the B/D ratio and the flat hull design. We've sailed Pachebella across the Chesapeake, from Key Largo to Key West, and in many other places, but mostly in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Southeastern North Carolina.

The Compac 19 is easy to trailer and launch once you develop a mast raising system. I can raise the mast myself. Pachebella is our third Compac! We've owned two Compac 16/3s before Pachebella. The Compac 19 is literally twice as big as a Compac 16. The pictures below show Pachebella at her home port. The link has many more pictures! You'll see that we have really upgraded Pachebella for some extended cruising, and even though she's only 20' long she's very comfortable. The Compac 19 was definitely the right sailboat for us. Fair weather!

David

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/dserrell/

xmo0n

Oct 11, 2009
none none none
Re: Thanks

Even though I cannot type, I still meant it. Thanks, --Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.