Coin in hull of O'Day Sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Rich,

You said that you had been all over the hull of the boat while rebuilding. So was I. I did not find it when I was working with a purpose. I found it much by accident.

Joe, I did not say in the past where I found it. I will say this much. It was intentionally placed where I found it during construction. It was pressed into still uncured resin to glue it permanently.

I would say that the hull was buillt by a crew familiar with ancient boat building customs. To me that means either the northeast or Florida west coast.

I doubt that my boat a 1985 is the only made by this crew following an old boat building ritual. They had to have at least one guy on the crew who knew the custom.

It is up to you guys to find the coins since they were hidden to prevent the casual boater from finding. Remember that we are dealing with an ancient ritual.

During the colder months up north, you guys need to study about sailing and those who sailed before you. Check this site for a beginning:

http://epress.anu.edu.au/apem/boats/html/ch03s04.html

"For those of you that would argue this point for the reasons of modern divination purposes, it should be pointed out that some of the greatest runic students and authors have given sufficient rebuttals to this such as Stephan Grundy, Edred Thorsson, and others.

“As there is nothing in the runes that present an “unkowing” nature (as the very idea goes against the nature of runes themselves); the rune Peorth (P) is sufficient in giving a random element to the runes as it represents the lot cup, chance, and luck. As indicative to the Norse philosophy they believed that nothing was unknown (even greater mysteries), that the beginning of ones life and its end are pre-destined. Its how you live your life with what you’ve been given that shapes your “Orlog”, and a questing mind who would dive deeper into the nature of the runes would truly known all he needed (that and experience with…). All must make their own luck for nothing is unknown. Your fate is fixed, so make sure to act bravely and without fear.”

Think of the coin as the "whiskey plank".

Ed K

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks Ed. I'll have to read up on that when I get a chance. If someone at the factory placed a coin on my boat I'll never find it. The next time I see Rudy Nickerson I'll ask him about that. Maybe there was someone at the factory back then who participated in those old boat building rituals.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
whiskey plank

Thanks Ed. I'll have to read up on that when I get a chance. If someone at the factory placed a coin on my boat I'll never find it. The next time I see Rudy Nickerson I'll ask him about that. Maybe there was someone at the factory back then who participated in those old boat building rituals.
--__-___---- ___

Joe,

Maybe ask some of these guys about boat building customs and what changed when they made fiberglass hulls:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/whisky/index.htm

Maybe the coin is from Portuguese boat builders. Maybe goes back to Roman times?

I am glad I do not have to drive, I can enjoy the
ceremony.
Actually among the articles there are some good clues.
Ed K

Attachments

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Ed,
come on tell us where you you found it........I gots to know :D

Nov 12, 2011
Oday 23' Tempest Rockland ME
Coin under the mast.

I am familiar with the coin under the mast, I actually put a new years coin in the mast step of all the sailboats I build. (Wooden)

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
There you go. Yackobus knows where they put those coins.:)

It's funny,--but I'm always finding money in my neighborhood when I walk down the street. I can spot coins in the road at a glance. Just last week I found a dollar bill in the grass on the side of the road and it's not unusual to find twenty dollar bills on the side of the street or the club parking lot not far from my house.
Two weeks ago I found some girl's drivers license and Visa Card in the club parking lot after a party they had the night before. I gave them to the club owner to give to her. She was from some town way up state in MA. It was easier for him to get in touch with her than me.
I'll keep searching my boat though. Who knows? I may get lucky some day and find that coin. :)

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Yackobus

I am familiar with the coin under the mast, I actually put a new years coin in the mast step of all the sailboats I build. (Wooden)
- - - - // - - - -

Yackobus,

Joe said, "There you go. Yackobus knows where they put those coins."

Come on guys, I stated hull. Whiskey board deals with hull. I will give you one clue, it is not on exterior! And some might not even call it the hull, but it is "pressed into uncured FRP", comprehend?

I gave you clues in that it is not where any casual observer would find, but a serious boat owner might.

It is probably easier to find on the 26 than other boats because the 26 is more modern in its layout and accessibility, but as I said I would expect to find it on some other boats of the same time period or earlier.

As pointed out in previous postings, I am a member of the Greenville Woodworkers Guild. At the Guild we even have a branding iron to mark our work.

Research the articles about ancient customs and the whiskey plank. Surely there is one among you all who can find the pot of gold.

Next week I might have a chance to look at another 26 or 25 to check out the theory. Again, it may have only been done at one plant and O'Day had three. I doubt it was done only once. It is some craftsman's signature.

Are there no craftsmen out there?

more:

http://boatbuildingwithburnham.blogspot.com/2011/04/whiskey-plank-party-celebrates-planking.html

And some in the various literature about rituals, customs and whiskey plants is a paragraph that give good idea why the craftsman choose this spot to sign his work.

Do I have the only O'Day sailboat signed by the Craftsman who made it? Maybe that signature is worth some big bucks?

Ed K

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I'm no craftsman Ed. My woodworking skills are equivalent to my guitar playing which is a little bit above below average. :D

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
- - - - // - - - -

Yackobus,

Come on guys, I stated hull. Whiskey board deals with hull. I will give you one clue, it is not on exterior! And some might not even call it the hull, but it is "pressed into uncured FRP", comprehend?

I gave you clues in that it is not where any casual observer would find, but a serious boat owner might.

Ed K
I've been in every inch of my vessel and what I'm confused about is uncured FRP :confused:

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
uncured FRP and whiskey planks

I've been in every inch of my vessel and what I'm confused about is uncured FRP :confused:
- - - - // - - - -

It was said, "I'm confused about is uncured FRP".

Ask our moderator what "Uncured FRP" is. If Maine Sail or Captain Herring do not want to explain this then maybe one of the guys who did a rebuild could help?

First, I do not say that every boat had a coin. O'Day had three plants at one point. I would would look to which plant(s) had straw boss who was experience with FRP layup schedules.

Second, if boat building customs and rituals are fully researched, you get an appreciation for what I found. Recall I was not looking for a nickel and when I found it, I initially thought it was held there by chewing gum. After examination it was placed there during construction using "uncured FRP" as the gluey.

Again, and again, it was in a place where you do not look. I believe that you have been over the whole boat. Keith claims the same. As I said previously, next week when I get a chance I will try to check the same general location in some other O'Day sailboats. I will not have a chance until next week.

I doubt that the coin is in every sailboat. I cannot image that it is part of the written layup schedule. But I cannot rule that out. You would have to get that information from John Deknatel the N.A. who designed or supervised the design of most of the O'Day sailboats. He does not respond to email.

I was on a O'Day 25 being parted out since our first discussion several years ago. I never thought to look although I was in general area.

Understand that this is on O'Day 26. Were 26's made at more than one plant? If yes, then different crews would be involved.

I have seen such things done on furniture, machinery and other worthy projects that are made to last. The builder usually justs signs his first name or initials, occassionally other things that will last the life of the object are used.

Somewhere I have seen coins tossed in a closed container so that they would rattle if container moved. Finding this coin was just a aha experience for me. What is more surprising is that we do not have anyone on forum familiar with doing such things. We are loosing traditions. Captain Herring needs to start a capture the traditions web page.

Whiskey planks have tradition that you can explore and maybe arrange to attend:

http://portsmouth-nh.patch.com/articles/video-gundalows-last-whiskey-plank-nailed#video-7945453

And study here:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/secret_destinyamerica/secret_destinyamerica02.htm

"The signature of Columbus, composed of letters curiously arranged and combined with cabalistic designs, certainly conveys far more than is inherent in the signature of a private citizen."

Recent politics tries to make us forget our history. A few will want to carry tradition and ritual forward. When on the open water, some will reflect on those who sailed before them, on those who built the vessels they sail on.

Take time to understand, listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sto3p3eozg8

http://home.comcast.net/~pflyersboy/victory/victory_at_sea_theme.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-EXNounv-U

Ed K

Attachments

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I've read of coins under the mast and in parts of the keel, even different metals, silver beneath the former and gold within the latter. On newer boats, they are even welded in, and in cases of there being no mast for sails, the radar mast is substituted. I've read of using leftover lath on a boat as a way to quicken the boat building and thereby giving the boat more speed. There are bells with silver and gold coins thrown into the melt for good luck and yes there are whiskey plank ceremonies, the celebration of the last plank, obviously. I've never read of coins used in the whiskey plank ceremony, but rather only the passing of a bottle to mark the occasion, particularly on the west coast here in the states.

So, where would a coin be on an O'day? Our cryptic and cantankerous inquisitor suggests it's at the whiskey plank, but where could that be on a boat with no planking? Well, if it follows wooden boat building, it may have something to do with finishing the hull, marking a major transition in the building process. Perhaps it was used to celebrate the joining of the hull and deck? I imagine there are several places on a boat where something could have been pressed into resin at that time, but I'm confused by the particular location. Having found no evidence of a coin used in a whiskey plank ceremony, I'm wondering whether to call it a red herring. My initial guess would have been to look at the block supporting the compression post.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
kpgraci said:
Our cryptic and cantankerous inquisitor,,,TMML
I looked everywhere for the coin. I can't think of anywhere I have not looked that would not require removing outer skin or overhead cabin liner.

Oct 2, 2008
kpgraci said:
Our cryptic and cantankerous inquisitor,,,TMML
Recent politics making us forget our traditions. Bah humbug

Boy this should be a long post, but I am pecking away on my pad. I will b brief.

Politics is made of actions designed to obtain power that enables a group to attain goals. Truths, Half truths, lies violence, extortion and other forms of manipulation are the most common tools utilized. Hitler was a great politician. So was Jesus. The goals were vastly different. So were the outcomes and benefits to mankind and the earth. The weak, poor, and poorly educated are the persistent victims. Anyone familiar with history are, exceptions granted, scornful of politics and politicians of all favors. It has nothing to do with traditions.

Oct 2, 2008
Trinkka said:
Happy Thanksgiving ship mates!

Joe
Thanks joe, and this is a great time to give you a most sincere and heart felt thank you for sharing your exceptionally good expertise. I have often felt like you should write a how to book on sailing and sailboats. Your posts will be a valuable resource for years to come. There r many great contributors here, but in my opinion, you are the heart of the o'day forums.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
For Keiths eyes

I looked everywhere for the coin. I can't think of anywhere I have not looked that would not require removing outer skin or overhead cabin liner.
- - - - // - - - -

Keith,

I found the coin tightening up or checking on ....

I was on my back, looking up and back ....

Actually I was looking straight up, and glanced backward. I thought it was a glob of frozen snot.

When my rag in had determined it was rock hard and slick in middle I looked closer and saw coin. I believe it was nickel. I will look again next week.

Because of location, I cannot get my camera in good position to document, but I will make special effort to do so.

I may be able to get on a 25 or 26 if I can get permission to check them out.

It was said on this forum, "Recent politics making us forget our traditions. Bah humbug"

Followed by, "The weak, poor, and poorly educated are the persistent victims. Anyone familiar with history are, exceptions granted, scornful of politics and politicians of all favors. It has nothing to do with traditions."

When I get back at my pc I will respond in detail. But your comments are mixing laudeable goals with government duties. Your concerns for your fellow man does not give you right to compel all to serve your charitiable purposes.

Requiring others to give to your charititable purposes makes them your slaves or serfs. That was not purpose of American Constitution.

I recommend you join church that has programs that satisfy your social goals, or volunteer at Red Cross. I give much time at an organiztion that helps charitable entities by building them furniture, cabinets, and tools for special needs children.

See: http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/

Ed K

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Today is my birthday and I plan on taking Penny kayaking across the Taunton River for an adventure along the shoreline and a campfire to cook my afternoon meal. It's not sailing but hey, it's a mild day in November on the water doing what we like. :dance:
Joe

Oct 2, 2008
Shoaldrafter said:
- - - - // - - - -

Keith,

I found the coin tightening up or checking on ....

I was on my back, looking up and back ....

Actually I was looking straight up, and glanced backward. I thought it was a glob of frozen snot.

When my rag in had determined it was rock hard and slick in middle I looked closer and saw coin. I believe it was nickel. I will look again next week.

Because of location, I cannot get my camera in good position to document, but I will make special effort to do so.

I may be able to get on a 25 or 26 if I can get permission to check them out.

It was said on this forum, "Recent politics making us forget our traditions. Bah humbug"

Followed by, "The weak, poor, and poorly educated are the persistent victims. Anyone familiar with history are, exceptions granted, scornful of politics and politicians of all favors. It has nothing to do with traditions."

When I get back at my pc I will respond in detail. But your comments are mixing laudeable goals with government duties. Your concerns for your fellow man does not give you right to compel all to serve your charitiable purposes.

Requiring others to give to your charititable purposes makes them your slaves or serfs. That was not purpose of American Constitution.

I recommend you join church that has programs that satisfy your social goals, or volunteer at Red Cross. I give much time at an organiztion that helps charitable entities by building them furniture, cabinets, and tools for special needs children.

See: http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/

Ed K
Forgive me I was somewhat harsh.

I have basically decided to ignore the current mess, focus on my family, reading, work and sailing. if i read a magazine then i choose "national geographic" and "good old boat" instead if news papers or current events. In addition, since I spend two hours in the truck a day commuting, I enjoy a variety of podcast: Good old boat newsletter podcast, hardcore history, stuff you should know, common sense, the history network, Ted talks, latitudes and attitudes, and audio digest emergency medicine.

In addition my off time not spent on chores I read nonfiction vociferously. Usually history, biography or science or a combination of those. When I choose fiction it is invariably historical. I love the jack Aubrey series. I also have consumed a lot of sailing and cruising how to's the past couple of years. I enjoy cap'n fatty, and the pardey's series. Also "The blue book of sailing" is very very good.

No matter where I am or what I am doing, I always have my current book or books with me. That way i can read in little snippets. This allows me to cover a lot more material than i would otherwise. I am never with out one or more of my books. Ever. It is exceedingly rare for me to watch tv or any news cast as they seem extremely shallow, often have an agenda, and are devoid of any real of detail.

I enjoy history and am often appalled at the damage done by leaders of all stripes through the ages. I think I am particularly disgusted at our current crop of leaders and leader wannabes.

There r many great sailing books and resources. I think my time is better spent on that than the current event newscast rubbish.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
It was said, "I'm confused about is uncured FRP".

Uncured FRP, definitition: First, "FRP" is short for Fiber Reenforced Plastic, AKA "Fiberglass". Second, by uncured, it was meant that the coin was pressed into the fiberglass layup while the resin was stilll liquid, before it cured and became hard.

My interpretation of that phrase (uncured FRP) anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.