Code 0

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Hi All -

Doing a bit of racing on my 40.5. I am considering adding a code 0 to my inventory. the PHRF (pacific northwest) rules are not a problem.

The 40.5 moves really well in mid to high winds and in those conditions we're quite competitive in our class. In lower winds, however, not so much. She's heavy. I've seen the difference a code 0 can make on similar boats and have been impressed by the performance and flexibility provided by the furler.

Any of you have experience with those? or preference? Already have quotes from UK and North Sails.

Thanks
Frederick

svpardonmyfrench.com

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Go for it. It’s a very useful sail. The new sail will add speed anytime you crack off about 5degrees from close hauled with the jib. Your VMG will increase significantly if you’re going upwind, because your speed through the water will increase by a large factor.

Since you are not limited by phrf rules, you should consider one that’s narrower in the mid girth than the rating rules allow. Rules usually require a mid girth that’s bigger than 65% of the foot length for the sail to be classified as a small spinnaker, and therefore have no negative impact on the boat’s rating.

(BTW, the new ORC (offshore racing) rules as of January this year require a 75% midgirth for spinnaker, and it’s up in the air whether or not local phrf Assoc’s will follow suit. I’m guessing most regional phrf associations won’t change for a long time)

In general , code zero type Sails with slightly narrower girths are more are more stable and forgiving of trimming and helming errors. They are more “set and forget.” So if you aren’t using it for PHRF racing, get a “cruising code zero” with the emphasis on set and forget.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
@SVPardonMyFrench
Are you going to use it for phrf racing? I assumed not when I first read your original,post, but upon re-reading it, i think you are planning to race with it. For racing phrf, you will need to conform to the rule about the mid girth being at least 65% of the foot for it to be rated as your second (and smaller) spinnaker rather than a gigantic Genoa. Then there will not be a change in your rating.

And what kind of cloth are you considering? Spinnaker nylon, or a super light weight laminate or super light polyester?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My impression is that the code 0 is for a relatively narrow wind angle. I have seen racing boats on the course with me who wasted time trying to use their code 0 when it really wasn't the sail they needed or they would have been better off with a more downwind sail. Swear words could be heard. But I have to admit that a code 0 fits well with the Hunters which aren't especially pointy and don't sail fast DDW. My question is what will you do when you need to sail more deep than the code 0 is optimal?

Jun 25, 2004
My question is what will you do when you need to sail more deep than the code 0 is optimal?
For deep angles, Use a symmetric or asymmetric spinnaker designed for downwind where the apparent wind is on or below the beam.

A Code 0 is for sailing upwind angles in light winds. Usually for AWA on or higher than the beam. TWA of 50 -110

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Is there any reason not to use a Code 0 downwind or more likely on a broad reach? I don't find myself really sailing down wind much but if the wind is almost nothing I was planning to fly our new code 0 like I did with my drifter on my old O'Day 25. The code 0 is my only lite wind sail.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I fly my Code 0 anywhere between 40 and 140 degrees AW. The ays spin is slightly better downwind but the Code 0 is so versatile I hardly ever fly it. I’ve even poled out the 0 to sail wing on wing dead downwind.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
@SVPardonMyFrench
Are you going to use it for phrf racing? I assumed not when I first read your original,post, but upon re-reading it, i think you are planning to race with it. For racing phrf, you will need to conform to the rule about the mid girth being at least 65% of the foot for it to be rated as your second (and smaller) spinnaker rather than a gigantic Genoa. Then there will not be a change in your rating.

And what kind of cloth are you considering? Spinnaker nylon, or a super light weight laminate or super light polyester?
Yes, that's right for PHRF, thanks for pointing it out.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Is there any reason not to use a Code 0 downwind or more likely on a broad reach? I don't find myself really sailing down wind much but if the wind is almost nothing I was planning to fly our new code 0 like I did with my drifter on my old O'Day 25. The code 0 is my only lite wind sail.
That's my impression also from people i've talked to. I have two spinnakers for downwind on sym and one asym.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
For deep angles, Use a symmetric or asymmetric spinnaker designed for downwind where the apparent wind is on or below the beam.

A Code 0 is for sailing upwind angles in light winds. Usually for AWA on or higher than the beam. TWA of 50 -110
Correct. I have two spinnakers for downwind.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
My impression is that the code 0 is for a relatively narrow wind angle. I have seen racing boats on the course with me who wasted time trying to use their code 0 when it really wasn't the sail they needed or they would have been better off with a more downwind sail. Swear words could be heard. But I have to admit that a code 0 fits well with the Hunters which aren't especially pointy and don't sail fast DDW. My question is what will you do when you need to sail more deep than the code 0 is optimal?
fly the spinnaker... :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
fly the spinnaker... :)
Which one? How many do you need for a Hunter 40.5? For PHRF racing? Changing sails is at best breaking even for club level events i.e. around the buoys. A symmetrical spinnaker on a B&R rig for downwind sailing is a little dicey. You can't let the main out too much past when it rides on the spreaders.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Well it’s a fun and competitive 40.5. I detect a little of attitude about the 40.5. We don’t pretend to be a J boat but we often surprise people.

we run well under spinnaker. I fly the symmetrical with an ATN tacker. — while not perfect, this combo propels us really nicely, we passed many more expensive and newer boats , so I am good with that.

I tend to love mid to long courses over buoy racing, so change of sails are worth it, and necessary.

the code 0 can be really helpful getting some speed in light winds closer to the wind — a weakness for 40’5 and many heavy cruising boat.

the feedback on the thread is helpful overall.

Jun 25, 2004
My impression is that the code 0 is for a relatively narrow wind angle. I have seen racing boats on the course with me who wasted time trying to use their code 0 when it really wasn't the sail they needed or they would have been better off with a more downwind sail. Swear words could be heard.
In this example, the skipper made a bad call choosing the Code Zero. S/he should have chosen a broad reaching or running spinnaker instead.

If you want faster upwind VMG in light wind, a Code 0 is the right sail.
If you want faster downwind VMG in light to moderate wind, a downwind spinnaker has s the right sail.

Unless the boat planes easily in light winds, it will never go fast enough below a broad reach to the true wind to move the apparent wind far enough forward to fly the Code zero.

Racing code zero sails are designed to fly in a range of 35 to 110 degrees apparent wind and a wind range under 15 knots true (with crew hiking in 15 kts TWS!). Sailmakers design sail shapes for apparent wind angles, not true wind angles. Sails don’t experience true wind angles.

How an apparent wind angle translates into true wind angles depends on how easy it is to drive the hull given a certain amount of drive from the sails. You need to know how fast your boat can go at any angle in enough wind to choose the best sail.

Here a Spinnakers for dummies rule of thumb (and like all rules of thumb there are exceptions)
if the apparent wind angle is more than 100, switch to your all purpose (A2 or S2) spinnaker.
If the apparent wind angle is less than 85 or 90, switch to the code zero.
And, of course, don’t fly either one past the safe upper windspeed... especially going downwind, because increasing wind strength can sneak up on you if you’re having fun screaming downwind.

PS If you own specialty racing spinnaker codes 0, VMG,1.5, 3, 5 or 4, the dummies rule of thumb isn’t nuanced enough to explain when to choose the right sail. That’s a more complex issue.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
[/QUOTE] ...In this example, the skipper made a bad call choosing the Code Zero. [/QUOTE]
I'll say. He had to take it down almost immediately and change back to a jib or he would have beached the boat!