Cockpit drain valve and replacement sheets for main and jib

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Can anyone help us? We just bought a 1980 Sirius 21 and have a few questions.
1. Where(or for that matter is there) is the valve to close the scupper cockpit drain? It would seem to me that there would have to be some sort of a shut off valve or we’re going to sink very rapidly as soon as we hit the water LOL.
2. We are going to have to replace all of the running rigging on the boat and we are looking for suggestions as to where to purchase it that is both a good value and economical.

Thanks everyone in advance

Kevin&Karen

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on your new boat!! For new running tigging I would remove the lines, measure them and buy new lines from a local or on-line chandlery with or wth spliced eyes and/or whipped ends. They will be able to provide recommendations on elasticity for the required service.

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Congratulations on your new boat!! For new running tigging I would remove the lines, measure them and buy new lines from a local or on-line chandlery with or wth spliced eyes and/or whipped ends. They will be able to provide recommendations on elasticity for the required service.
Thank you for the info sail sfbay. Just need to find a reputable source for my rigging needs

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congratulations, a new boat is a wonderful experience.
  1. Scuppers - Not sure what yours look like, but they are meant to auto drain should water get into your cockpit. On most boats the scuppers are above the water level. The drain in a downward direction from the bottom of the cockpit to the outside. No valve is needed. My boat was built with a cockpit drain connected to a thru hull. Not knowing this detail, I closed the thru hull the first night I left the boat. It rained. The thru hull also drained the galley sink. You know it, with the thru hull closed the rain water backed up into the sink and onto the counter. I corrected the problem and redirected the cockpit scupper to the outside. One of the best modifications I have made.
  2. Running Rigging. You can take the current lines measure them. You can use a calculator. or you can use the approximate method. If you have a little extra line you can use the extra line on the boat somewhere. Here is a link to Sailrite that can help with rope selection. https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Rope Selection Recommendations.pdf
I found that you can find good line/cordage at a favorable price from an arborist or logging supply.

Good luck with your boat. Always share pictures.

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Thank you for taking the time to respond and yeah that kind of makes sense if the scuppers are above the waterline then we don’t have to worry about it bringing water in. Just didn’t want to get it in the water and have it sink on our first maiden voyage. Lol

Oct 22, 2014
Always better safe then sorry.
Just remember, we all have been there in our passage. Asking questions is the reason this site is so popular.

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
Yes, the cockpit drains are self draining with no shut off needed. The Sirius 21 has a foam filled hull, so it is positively buoyant.

Aug 13, 2020
Sirius 21 mass
i suppose this is relavent but i just also purchased a sirius21...but there are no sheets/ halyards of anykind on it can anyone one give me the size and lengths of theirs so i can replace. Came with a jib, a genoa and a main with no lines whatsoever.

Attachments

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
John, If you want, I can send you a copy of the owners manual that was so graciously provided to me by another user on this site. Hope this helps. Kevin

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
For some reason, it is saying that the file is too large to upload. Look on the previous posts under my name for a different subject matter and the attached file should be there. If not, my email address is Kevin.wetherbee@yahoo.com.

Aug 23, 2020
Sirius 21 Comox
We too are just setting up our boat which came with no sheets or halyard. Would love any recommendations for length and diameters required for each area. Thanks so much in advance!

Aug 13, 2020
Sirius 21 mass
We too are just setting up our boat which came with no sheets or halyard. Would love any recommendations for length and diameters required for each area. Thanks so much in advance!
there was a site that recommended halyards 2.5 times mast height...which was approx 65'....I went with 70'.for jib and main. then purchased a 300' roll of 3/8 double braided to cover those, with the remainder for a main sheet. when it all comes in, if i have enough left over I'll do jib genoa sheets...if not, I may use 5/16 for them.

Aug 13, 2020
Sirius 21 mass
Yes, the cockpit drains are self draining with no shut off needed. The Sirius 21 has a foam filled hull, so it is positively buoyant.
is the sink drain directly under it and a through hull?...I dont know if mine is from factory or a previous owner installed it but i have a ball cock valve mounted to a through hull under the sink which is below waterline.if the connection fails I'll have a lot of water coming in. (which is why I want to tie the drain into the cockpit drain then seal off the thru hull.

Oct 22, 2014
i have a ball cock valve mounted to a through hull under the sink which is below waterline.if the connection fails I'll have a lot of water coming in. (which is why I want to tie the drain into the cockpit drain then seal off the thru hull.
What you described is not unusual. If the sink is below the waterline then when you open the valve you would have water flowing into the sink. I do not suspect this is the case. This type of setup is normal. Just keep an eye on the thru hull and ball valve. Plan on replacing them when they are worn. 15 years is not too bad assuming no electrical corrosion.

If you connect the sink to the cockpit drain then you may get water trying to drain from the cockpit back flowing into your sink. Not a pretty site.

You should have a soft wooden plug to use on the thru hull should a catastrophic failure happen. Not a usual experience.

Nov 18, 2015
Sirius 21 Oyster Bay, NY
Kevin and Karen, I have a '79 sirius.

My sink drain is connected to the thru-hull with a rubber hose. It has been on my "to do" list for about 6 yrs now to install some type of valve between the hose and the thru-hull (going sailing always seems like more fun than boat work). So far water has never backed up the tube, even with the starboard rail buried. We do have a plug/bung in case of emergency.

I sail through the winter and when the water in the drain hose from the cockpit drain to the thru-hull freezes rain/snow melt backs up into the "salon", so you don't want or need to install a shut off in that system (my opinion). You might want to check that the hose connecting the drain to the thru-hull. If that hose cracks it is possible for water to back up through the thru-hull.

Enjoy the boat. We love ours and are always impressed how nicely she handles. Head and shoulders above other similar 21' boats I have owned.

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Kevin and Karen, I have a '79 sirius.

My sink drain is connected to the thru-hull with a rubber hose. It has been on my "to do" list for about 6 yrs now to install some type of valve between the hose and the thru-hull (going sailing always seems like more fun than boat work). So far water has never backed up the tube, even with the starboard rail buried. We do have a plug/bung in case of emergency.

I sail through the winter and when the water in the drain hose from the cockpit drain to the thru-hull freezes rain/snow melt backs up into the "salon", so you don't want or need to install a shut off in that system (my opinion). You might want to check that the hose connecting the drain to the thru-hull. If that hose cracks it is possible for water to back up through the thru-hull.

Enjoy the boat. We love ours and are always impressed how nicely she handles. Head and shoulders above other similar 21' boats I have owned.
Can’t wait to get ours in the water next year. What part of New York are you from? Originally from the finger lakes region here

Nov 18, 2015
Sirius 21 Oyster Bay, NY
We are sailing in Oyster Bay, on Long Island. We keep her in during the winter and take her out as long the water isn't hard. Not sure where you are at, but she stands up nicely during a short winter sail. Just figured I would plant the seed in case you can't wait until the spring.