• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Cockpit drain valve and replacement sheets for main and jib

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Can anyone help us? We just bought a 1980 Sirius 21 and have a few questions.
1. Where(or for that matter is there) is the valve to close the scupper cockpit drain? It would seem to me that there would have to be some sort of a shut off valve or we’re going to sink very rapidly as soon as we hit the water LOL.
2. We are going to have to replace all of the running rigging on the boat and we are looking for suggestions as to where to purchase it that is both a good value and economical.

Thanks everyone in advance

Kevin&Karen

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on your new boat!! For new running tigging I would remove the lines, measure them and buy new lines from a local or on-line chandlery with or wth spliced eyes and/or whipped ends. They will be able to provide recommendations on elasticity for the required service.

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Congratulations on your new boat!! For new running tigging I would remove the lines, measure them and buy new lines from a local or on-line chandlery with or wth spliced eyes and/or whipped ends. They will be able to provide recommendations on elasticity for the required service.
Thank you for the info sail sfbay. Just need to find a reputable source for my rigging needs

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
Congratulations, a new boat is a wonderful experience.
  1. Scuppers - Not sure what yours look like, but they are meant to auto drain should water get into your cockpit. On most boats the scuppers are above the water level. The drain in a downward direction from the bottom of the cockpit to the outside. No valve is needed. My boat was built with a cockpit drain connected to a thru hull. Not knowing this detail, I closed the thru hull the first night I left the boat. It rained. The thru hull also drained the galley sink. You know it, with the thru hull closed the rain water backed up into the sink and onto the counter. I corrected the problem and redirected the cockpit scupper to the outside. One of the best modifications I have made.
  2. Running Rigging. You can take the current lines measure them. You can use a calculator. or you can use the approximate method. If you have a little extra line you can use the extra line on the boat somewhere. Here is a link to Sailrite that can help with rope selection. https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Rope Selection Recommendations.pdf
I found that you can find good line/cordage at a favorable price from an arborist or logging supply.

Good luck with your boat. Always share pictures.

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Thank you for taking the time to respond and yeah that kind of makes sense if the scuppers are above the waterline then we don’t have to worry about it bringing water in. Just didn’t want to get it in the water and have it sink on our first maiden voyage. Lol

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
Always better safe then sorry.
Just remember, we all have been there in our passage. Asking questions is the reason this site is so popular.