Cockpit drain not draining

Mar 26, 2023
macgregor 26s shell point
I just bought a 26S and my cockpit drain isn't draining. I tried the following things. Forcing water up through the bottom hole and down through the drain hole, pushed a drain brush through the drain hole but is will only go half way, a leaf blower. Next i am going to try my shop vac. I keep the boat an hour away so i can't just go in the back yard and try stuff. Should i be able to push something down the drain hole? Does it curve?

Mar 26, 2023
I have already bought a screen for it but i can't get it unclogged. Should i be able to push something down it to unclog it?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have already bought a screen for it but i can't get it unclogged. Should i be able to push something down it to unclog it?
Did you read that thread I linked? Probably not, unless it's water or air pressure.

Mar 26, 2023
Yes thank you, most of it was telling how to prevent it. One guy talked about a T where the sink drain comes into the cockpit drain that is probably why I couldn't get a line down there. I will try my shop vac and see if not may need to go under the bunk to locate the lines. thank you.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Remove the pipe, clean the fittings and pipe. If there's a check valve in the line, blowing it from the hull side will not work. The check valve could be stuck preventing discharge flow.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I don't think a shop vac would do it, if the hose did not. Perhaps using an air compressor while using your hand around the air hose as a seal to control pressure. The material plugging the pipe is likely organic so I would first try to soften and dissolve it. Get a solution of detergent and fill the drain, put a cover on it and let it site for a few days. It would be safer for the drain assembly to use the compressed air then.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I JUST redid mine yesterday. I used flexible couplers on the glassed in fittings and then built the rest out of ABS pipe and fittings. Easy as pie and with the flexible couplers on the three glassed in parts removal for cleaning is a breeze. This was a major source of water intrusion on our boat - the PO had installed something down low in the lazy with screws right into the cabin. Well, that left four holes for water from the laz to get in…….

Jul 2, 2020
MacGregor 26C Nashville
I took a 1/4" flexible tube and duct taped it to the shop vac hose and was able to extract all the gunk clogging up the drain hose

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Small toilet plungers are the favorite of ODay Mariner sailors to keep their cockpit drains cleared. I have to use mine on a regular basis due to the leaves, seeds, and other airborne junk.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC