26S cockpit drain filter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
I went to my boat today in the rain to get my fridge owners manual, and found about 5" of water in the cockpit.
I knew there were some leaves and stuff in there but I didn't think it was that bad.
Does anyone cover the hole with anything?

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
Cockpit drain sceen

I roll up some window screen and stick it in the cockpit drain of my M25 if the boat is not being used. I fold the top over and hold it with a clothspin.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Re: Cockpit drain sceen

I've always thought the drain in the cockpit of my 26S was too small. I've considered more than once how I could improve it.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Luck you. Only 5" and it wasn't inside the cabin. My 26D leaks like a sieve from the rain. None of it coming in from the cockpit area though.
A week ago I got the garden hose out and found my cockpit drain very slow so I went and got the toilet plunger! Clean as a whistle now! Had the hose out today to test the seal of the ballast and had the hose running full out into the cockpit while I closed the valve and got ready inside. It didn't have any problems keeping up to the water flow.

Sep 26, 2010
I've always thought the drain in the cockpit of my 26S was too small. I've considered more than once how I could improve it.
That's one of the first things I noticed. It's good for spilt drinks or a bucket of water, but if actual waves were hitting the cockpit, you would be on big trouble.
Making it big enough for that seems out of reach though.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Well, I was thinking it may be possible with a hole saw cut out a much larger hole, and install a drain fitting. Of course a matching larger thru hull would be required too. I don't know maybe not necessary. These boats have been around a long time, haven't heard about bad things happening because of the drain. Just seems so small!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I'm using this today...

have had a few different variation. from a simple brush, bristles down to various screens. (heavy scrub brush works) lets the water seep through.

(actually a smaller ver, that fits inside the drain)

http://practicon.com/product.aspx?id=39841&sid=1000069&gclid=CLGSvJjn9q4CFdFa7AodSBTx0Q

best bet is to tarp the boat. and use a screen.

I've also stuck the handle of a brush down the drain... keeps the big stuff out, but lets water pass.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Oh, yeah, the drains are too small for offshore. 4" or 2, 3" would be right, but where would you cut to let them out?

(on a 25 would be easier)

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Oh, yeah, the drains are too small for offshore. 4" or 2, 3" would be right, but where would you cut to let them out?

(on a 25 would be easier)
Whoa, 4" is huge compared to the minuscule 1-3/8" we have now.

Sep 26, 2010
Well, I was thinking it may be possible with a hole saw cut out a much larger hole, and install a drain fitting. Of course a matching larger thru hull would be required too. I don't know maybe not necessary. These boats have been around a long time, haven't heard about bad things happening because of the drain. Just seems so small!
Well normally people don't take these boats off shore or where those kinds of waves are likely. I probably won't either, but a bigger drain would have been nice. I don't think 3 or 4 inches would have been too big.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Seriously, why would you ever use a thru hull (presuming you meant below the water line)?

Race boat sail with open sterns...

Did I misunderstand you, and you just meant the fitting?

Jeff

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
I went to my boat today in the rain to get my fridge owners manual, and found about 5" of water in the cockpit.
I knew there were some leaves and stuff in there but I didn't think it was that bad.
Does anyone cover the hole with anything?
I have recently installed these rolled up lengths of 15mm galvanised chicken wire and they seem to be working well - just excuse the dirty boat - has been sitting in the back yard for way too long!! - but hopefully will be back on the water in another couple of weeks.

I blow the leaves off the boat every now and agian with a cordless garden blower - I just cover the screens with some cloth whilst doing that so the leaves don't get blown through the mesh.

PS: Just rolled the wire around a very small diameter piece of wooden dowel.

Attachments

Sep 26, 2010
Seriously, why would you ever use a thru hull (presuming you meant below the water line)?

Jeff
My perception of a through hull fitting, is just that it goes through something. I wouldn't just assume it's position relative to the waterline.
On the 26S and some others, Roger elected to build in holes in the side instead of using through hull fittings. That takes away one leak point, but it also makes improving things a little tougher.
I don't know why he decided it was better to run the cockpit drain out the side of the boat. It could have been more direct and bigger.
Then my leaves and such would just flow through and I wouldn't have to clean em out all the time!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Doehunter,
One of the benefits of not having like-boated-sailors on the Forums (Morgan owners gets like 2 posts per year) is I get to stalk all the rest of you guys!
Sometime back I read over on Catalina 22's about a scupper improvement for those boats that allows the cockpit to drain directly through the transome. Might help with your draining problem.
You could probably do something like this http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=536
for less money.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA

Jeff
No, I didn't mean below the water line. A thru-hull fitting certainly can be installed in the side of the hull above the water line. An example is a drain for a sink. Macgregor simply glassed in a piece of PVC for the cockpit drain and the sink drain, both above the water line. What I was implying was to remove the PVC drain hole for the cockpit, and install a larger thru-hull fitting. The biggest I've found though is 2", what we have now is 1-3/8".

The open stern you referred to is commonly called open transom. Hunter 260's and Catalina 250's, have open transoms, which is totally nice IMHO.

I don't think I'm gonna do this project, but if someone did want to improve the cockpit draining capability, I think maybe two drains would be worth doing. Install a 2" thru-hull on both port and starboard sides.

Attachments

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Doehunter,
One of the benefits of not having like-boated-sailors on the Forums (Morgan owners gets like 2 posts per year) is I get to stalk all the rest of you guys!
Sometime back I read over on Catalina 22's about a scupper improvement for those boats that allows the cockpit to drain directly through the transome. Might help with your draining problem.
You could probably do something like this http://catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=536
for less money.
Yeah, the problem with the Mac 26C's is that there's a large lazarrette between the cockpit well and the transom. Can't just install scuppers straight out the transom. We need to install some plumbing inside the laz, and at the same time not get in the way of valuable storage space.

Here's what I have done to mine, just to get the drain pipe out of the way of storing stuff in there.

Here's the OEM setup. Couldn't be a cheaper way to do it.

Sep 26, 2010
I copied Doug's plumbing idea a good while back. It does open up the laz for storage.
It drains fine under normal conditions. Going with a bigger pipe, straight out the back would drain better, but might be too much in the way.
I'm leaving mine alone, just because I have too much other stuff to do first, but someday, I'd like it to be better.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Would it not be more efficient to run a separate drain line straight out the stern for the motor well and dedicate the side exit to the cockpit drain? No dips in the routing. Seem like less likely to plug up with dirt, debris or ice. That's my plan anyway.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Would it not be more efficient to run a separate drain line straight out the stern for the motor well and dedicate the side exit to the cockpit drain? No dips in the routing. Seem like less likely to plug up with dirt, debris or ice. That's my plan anyway.
That probably would be better, less clutter under there too! For sure I don't need that trap, just did it that way to get the right angle to make connection.

I remember when I did the project that day it was about 95 degrees, I was crammed inside there, PVS glue fumes in the air, I might not have been at my best mentally. :D

Maybe I'll re-do mine one of these days. Like Doehunter said, "too much other stuff to do first".

Status
Not open for further replies.