Cockpit Anchor Light

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
While you are looking for something in maritime case law for instances of citation for improper lighting you are far more likely to trip over all sorts of floating DIY jury-rigged tom-foolery by similarly inclined guys who know better than the folks who actually designed and built their boats.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The Mantus clamp on light is very nice. USB charge and lasts a long time. I keep the masthead light on with photo cell control and then add Mantus and solar garden lights and sometimes the foredeck lights to light me up very well.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks. That's quite an ordeal they subjected him to. I would have hoped the bad guys would have been prosecuted.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
When I sail at night I keep my streamlight (I don't have spotlight) in the cockpit along with the air horn. When I see both green and red lights coming at me fast the first thing is five short blasts with the air horn-on my lake Im pretty sure no one knows diddly squat about proper horn signals, but five blasts might get their attention over the motor-if they are still coming at me they get the streamlight slightly to the left of the green bow light. It has always worked for me and I don't apologize for it.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
A very bright, $$, compact brand of flashlight. This is mine shining on a wrench on the floor of my well lit garage.

Attachments

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Any decent LED flashlight is just as bright, I wouldn't have spent that much for a flashlight it was a gift from a former boss-I tell the people on my team at work that the only good thing he ever did was give us those lights!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The anchor lights on most boats in my area don’t meet the 360⁰ rule, but nobody seems to be breaking chops about it here. I have been told that down in the keys, they do break chops & write tickets freely.

Several people I know use the little solar pathway lights on the backs of their boats when they are on the ball in the mooring field. Some also use the solar rope lights on the mast & boom. That all seems to work OK in the mooring field. I think that in the designated field, the lights are not required, but I need to look that up to be sure.

I think that in addition to the 360⁰ rule, there is also a brightness or viewable distance requirement that varies with the size of the boat, but I need to look that up too. It’s been a while since I specified rigging for a new boat.

Whatever anchor light you get, make it a LED. The battery draw difference between incandescent & LED is huge. Unfortunately the quality of LEDs varies. Some of the cheap ones cause radio interference.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Your anchor light must be visible 2 NM, 360 degrees. That is a lot of lumens.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Ok, but isn't that a bit unobtainable? If the regulation is 360 degrees, how does a cockpit light deal with fixed appliances like the mast, (among others) which will at some point on the compass shield the light? Does it become a liability issue?
Take your dink out a couple hundred yards and do a circuit around the boat. The mast won't block the light. Well, maybe how thick a mast do you have?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
The anchor lights on most boats in my area don’t meet the 360⁰ rule, That all seems to work OK in the mooring field. I think that in the designated field, the lights are not required, but I need to look that up to be sure.
We did a lot of research on this, including contacting the Coast Guard Station in Charleston. A SC DNR "officer" came by our Yacht Club and said that all the boats on the moorings (about 12) had to display anchor lights. We challenged this since we have an "approved" mooring field. However, on further investigation we determined that the COLREGs exemption to not display a anchor light is for a "designated anchorage." Just because someone gets a mooring field "approved" doesn't mean it is a "designated anchorage." The CG stated that to be a "designated anchorage" it must be so noted on Charts (he didn't say NOAA or they kind of chart but I'd assume he means NOAA charts). If you think about it, that makes sense because how would a transiting vessel know there might be boats there an anchor without an anchor light if it were not marked on charts? Do idiots even look at their charts or know what it means? Probably not, but at least in a liability situation being properly lighted is some "protection" when the lawyers start to did into who was at fault.

I have an LED anchor light at the top of the mast and hang a Davis LED anchor light hanging about 10 feet off the water at my stern. Too many idiots out there and our mooring field is adjacent to the AICW. I have always had it since I moved to the mooring and can't understand why someone wouldn't want at least some sort of light displayed, USCG approved or not.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have never in my life heard of a requirement that moored boats display anchor lights. I've sailed all over New England and have never seen that. Especially boats that are moored and aren't being used for weeks at a time!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have never in my life heard of a requirement that moored boats display anchor lights. I've sailed all over New England and have never seen that. Especially boats that are moored and aren't being used for weeks at a time!
that is because in New England all the mooring fields are designated on charts. Mooring fields are a big deal up north so all the procedures are well known and followed and placed on charts. In most other places, it's not common knowledge. As in the case of the Fla Keys. Even IN designated mooring fields there, an anchor light is required. Quiz time...Anybody know why?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Also, the requirement is NOT 360 degrees. I don't know the exact radius but it is less than 360 so a mast blocking the anchor light is not necessarily a violation.