Coast guard boarding.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good question @Hardtail70 to start off your discussions here on the forum. Welcome.

It is somewhat like the question, "How many times have you been stopped by the police while driving your car in a lawful manner, following all of the rules fo the road?"

On the water the CG have a number of missions. One of them at the lower end of the spectrum is assuring boaters operating in US waters are doing it in compliance with the Regulations administered by the CG. This task is also managed by the local Police and the Sheriffs depending on the jurisdiction you are operating your boat.

Generally the action by the CG is one of "practicing boarding" and affirming the the boat is being operated in compliance with the safety rules. It is pretty straight forward boarding a power boat. Pull up from behind, grab hold of the boat, leap over the boats transom and address the boats captain to inform the captain why they boarded the boat. Boarding a sailboat under sail is more difficult. They will tell your "Captain hold your course and speed" and then come up on your windward stern. Or they will instruct you to "heave to" bringing your boat into the wind. You can respond regarding the safety of your vessel and crew. And take actions to create a safe environment. If they intend to board your they will.

Note, by international treaty, all boats operating with in US waters may be boarded by the CG. The attached link might help you with understanding the actions of the CG.

Every year I contact the local CG Auxiliary and subject my boat and safety equipment to inspection. It is a great way to get a "Second pair of eyes" to review my own preparations. The inspectors have always been polite, and often share tips about their experiences with boating. Takes less than an hour and I have met some nice folk. They follow the same procedure that a boarding party would follow.
  1. Confirm they are talking to the Captain of the boat.
  2. Ask if there are any weapons aboard (so that weapons can be secured protecting the boarding party)
  3. Ask for the boats papers (so that the form can be properly filled out)
  4. Ask about mandatory placards and safety items required by regulation
  5. Ask a series of "good boating practice questions".
  6. Complete the form with the Captains signature.
  7. Issue the Vessel Inspection Sticker (watching that it is properly displayed on the boat. Note the sticker is for the boat being inspected and may not be transferred to another boat.)
  8. Issue a copy of the inspection report to the Captain (
    (the golden ticket)
  9. Then they are off.
Sailing in US waters it is the US Coast Guard. Venture into waters of other countries and it will be the CG of that country. Talking to the Canadian CG it sounds like they perform their duties pretty much the same as the United States CG.

Having the Vessel Inspection Sticker and wearing a PDF, I believe, is why I have been observed but not boarded the past 5 plus years I have been sailing in the Salish Sea.

If your trying to smuggle or hide something the seasoned CG operators will probably sniff it out. And like a blood hound once they think they have something juicy they will do what it takes to get an answer to their questions.

There are virtually no limits to their searching if they believe you are not following the regulations.

Treating them with respect probably goes better than if you are belligerent.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I was not exactly stopped, but one time sailing down the coast of France just before we came into Spanish waters, we were approached by the French Coast Guard. They were not on a little boat, is was more like a destroyer... Had some mighty good sized guns on that baby. They came up alongside us telling us to just keep sailing as we were while they asked us questions. We had just purchased the boat we were on and were bringing it down to Spain. This was in the early hours just after daylight. They told us they'd been watching us all night sailing down the coast. They simply asked us who we were, what we were doing and where we were going. When we explained, providing all reference numbers, etc. off the documentation, they told us no problem just keep on going. But the reason they said they approached us was because our flag was in tatters and they couldn't figure out where we were from.

I will say, it was mighty impressive - read scary - watching a destroyer come up on you knowing they are coming for you... Those ships move! And man are they equipped with armament!

It was with total professionality that they dealt with us. We never even had to slow down or alter our course. And wow, could they handle that destroyer! I think I could have run a tape measure between our boat and theirs and doubt it would have measured more than a couple feet difference in distance due to the swells over the entire conversation.

dj

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Never been boarded or inspected In ~10 years of sailing.

I did upgrade to an electronic flare and have the out of date ones marked as expired, just in case.

I asked some CG Aux guys at my dock to give me a safety inspection... the promised to come by my boat after they grabbed lunch....never saw them again.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
Too bad Greg... Maybe next time. Should have offered them a :beer:if the showed up after lunch. Only heard a CG Aux deny a beer once. That was because it was 8 AM and he had a meeting to go to.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I've been boarded three times since 2004. They are always professional and courteous. And sometimes, funny. Connie and I were motoring up the Sabine River on a Saturday morning. The CG came out of their station up ahead of us and paused before turning down towards us. As they came alongside, Connie asks what did we do wrong? The answer? Speeding.

It was the start of their shift on the weekend and we just happened to be the first pleasure boat they saw. Five minutes and we never changed speed the entire time.

Jan 7, 2011
Too bad Greg... Maybe next time. Should have offered them a :beer:if the showed up after lunch. Only heard a CG Aux deny a beer once. That was because it was 8 AM and he had a meeting to go to.
I am sure I will see the around again. A bunch of them own a boat at my marina. I will have to try the beer bait next time!

Greg

• Ha
Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Was boarded once about 4 years ago. It was Labor Day and I was motoring my 23.5 Hunter into a south wind. When I got to the Bear Mountain bridge a CG Cutter was just south and a inflatable came up from behind. They asked me the captain for permission to board, asked to see registration and safety equipment and finally asked if they could ride along with me as they rarely get to motor on a small sailboat. We shared water and stories of the Hudson river. The Cutter ordered the men back to the ship. They gave me the yellow inspection report and told me to keep it and show if the CG requested another boarding. It was very professional and courteous. I told them things about the river they never heard of as I have worked and sailed the Hudson for over 50 years. The CG is our friend unless you are up to no good. On a sail boat?????

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I will say, it was mighty impressive - read scary - watching a destroyer come up on you knowing they are coming for you... Those ships move! And man are they equipped with armament!...

You should have pulled out the 12-gauge and showed 'em who was boss !

• Ha
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Dont be lulled into a sense of securty and safety if you have one of the new fangled electronic flares. c e of pont be

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
oops electronic finger spasm! Anyway the new electronic flares produce a lovely bright morse code flash of letters S O and S. Problem is most boaters do not know what the flashing code letters mean since they have not seen morse code at all or maybe as a boy scout. Regular flares do not require such literacy . Just saying!

Oct 22, 2014
Problem is most boaters do not know what the flashing code letters mean
The hope is they will be drawn to the light like moths and then figure out we need help as we stand on the bottom of our boat.

Jan 7, 2011
oops electronic finger spasm! Anyway the new electronic flares produce a lovely bright morse code flash of letters S O and S. Problem is most boaters do not know what the flashing code letters mean since they have not seen morse code at all or maybe as a boy scout. Regular flares do not require such literacy . Just saying!
That is precisely why I keep a good supply of expired (but still functional) flares.

Greg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've been boarded three times (last boat, coastal waters but near the demarcation line). Always professional, always brief. It pays to look boring.

Just make sure you have your papers, PFDs, placards, and flares.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Only once and they never actually "boarded" just followed me into the marina under power while I held stuff up for them to see. We were returning to home marina at sunset under power (no wind) and I noticed a CG Cutter anchored outside the mouth. Huh, said I, that's unusual, then I saw a crew coming down the side into a boat and heading my way. I asked if they wanted me to stop or to board but they just said to keep going and they'll do the safety check under way. I told them my flares were out of date and they asked how long out. I said a month or 2 and they said "no problem, there's a 90 day grace period."
Came in Friday night of holiday weekend once and they had a sort of road block (channel block ?) set up, every boat passing was directed to the harbor patrol dock for safety inspections. I had a current CG Aux. safety sticker on the mast and they just waved me thru, all the drunk power boaters getting checked gave me the fish eye as I passed.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I've been boarded three times in the last six years doing Bahamas-Maine trips. They never "snooped". It was limited to "show me your fire extinguishers", show me your navigation rules book. They do copy down everyone's ID's. Of course, if they think something's suspicious it's a whole different story. The CG has pretty much unlimited power to search - much more than any land based law enforcement. No need for them to see probable cause of a violation. This all goes back to the power given them in the 1700's to board boats to look for smuggling (since the Federal Government's initial source of income was mostly customs duties on ships entering the country). There are a few cases working their way through the courts to require the CG to have probable cause before boarding - but I doubt anything will come of it. If you are over 40ft long - be sure to have a Waste Management Plan on board. The CG once asked to see mine - when I pulled it out they were so surprised I had one that they didn't ask to see anything else :) Waste Management Plans

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Our marina has a complimentary weekend where the CG Auxiliary does safety checks. A sticker is given to put on a port side window. I think it’s good for two years. We were moored in Block Island a few weeks back and saw a few boats boarded in the mooring field. The first, a power boat with bikini clad young ladies. I figured the CG crew who were similar in age had an alternative motive until they boarded a sailboat with an elderly couple. I later swung by the sailboat to ask what they wanted and it was a routine safety check. What surprised me was the lack of masks while they were aboard.