Coast guard boarding.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina 30 TN
How often do you get boarded and how "snoopy" do they get? Not too crazy about the idea of strangers snooping through my personal stuff.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I've been boarded once, many years ago. I was out for an evening sail with one crew on board. They were polite and professional. Took all of about 5 minutes. They looked at my flares, life jackets and overboard discharge for the head (which was closed). Ever since sequestration in 2013, I rarely see them on the mouth of the Patuxent River. :beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In 35 years of sailing on Lake Ontario I have been boarded once following a grounding. They wanted to see the bilge to make sure I was not sinking, the head discharge to make sure it was closed and sealed, the safety equipment, and the registration. Not at all snoopy, very courteous, and they even coiled my tow line for me. They politely suggested that I should have put on my PFD when they told me to, I didn't hear them.

However, like all law enforcement personnel they have the right to search if there is reasonable suspicion of something seriously amiss. So, best not to have lots of empty beer cans laying around (BUI) or drug paraphernalia. The latter will get your boat impounded and searched. You won't have to witness that because you'll be in custody.

The USCG has the right to board any US flagged vessel anywhere in the world at anytime and the right to board foreign flagged vessels within US waters.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
45 years, never. Knew someone who was, had outadated flares and was given some sort of cite to get them updated. Reminds me I probably need to do mine this year so thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
45 years, never. Knew someone who was, had outadated flares and was given some sort of cite to get them updated. Reminds me I probably need to do mine this year so thanks!
Spring for one of the new electronic flares, safer and replacing batteries every couple of years is cheaper and easier than dealing with flares. And I should probably replace my batteries this year. ;)

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
You wont meet a more professional team. they have a protocol they go through, they will ask if you have a fire arm aboard, i ve been boarded twice. i did not have a fire arm, one was a boat i was delivering and one was my power boat. they will check for a blower, all safety equipment, registration etc.

they will provide you a receipt of their visit (the golden ticket) keep it on board as they can only board you without pc once a year.

the boat i was delivering had out dated flares (they would acepted 6 months past expiration date) and we couldnt find the documentation numbers on the boat. lesson learned, since ive always carried a captains bag with my own safety gear when i delivered a boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
In the past 20 years I've been boarded 3 times.... always as a "safety check" Very polite. They don't "snoop through your personal stuff". But there isn't really anything you can do about it.... so relax..be courteous and make sure your safety gear is complete and current. Be aware that drunk driving laws now apply to boaters... but the CG is more interested in smuggling, illegal entry, and safety compliance.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Never been boarded in almost 40 years. Law enforcement people who boat tell me the CG auxiliary sticker you get from that inspection is respected by CG. 'Course not if you are doing something wrong.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Circumstances make a big difference. Where, when, course can all be factors in determining how much attention they pay to you.

We were boarded, way back in the 70s, at about 01:00, 12 miles off the coast of Georgia, sailing from Florida to Maine. We were a family of two adults and three young teens. It was a routine boarding and a quick scan of the safety features, glance into the cabins and an interview with the Old Man about what we were doing, where we were coming from and where we were going. Have a nice day.

On the other end of the scale, the Old Man was helping a friend bring her boat back from Texas after it was found adrift, her husband missing at sea. Her husband, we called "Hippy Fred", made the occasional trip to Mexico to "supplement" his income. He and his boat were in the CG logs.

On the trip back to Florida, when the boat had engine failure and an old main ripped, they called for assistance. The Louisiana CG came out and towed them up the Mississippi where they moored them to a barge in the middle of the river. After that, the DEA descended upon the boat from several locations and several hours of search and interviews precipitated. They found nothing, they did not seize the vessel and were not abusive, only single minded. Considering how condescending my father could be towards authority, I give them a great deal of credit.

I have no idea what the climate is like today. I think the Coast Guard does an incredible job. Very respectful people. Unlike other branches of law enforcement, the CG does not attract characters interested in power. For the most part, the agent power trips are few and far between in most agencies, anyhow.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've had them come close... seemed to me they wanted to know if my kids had their PFDs on. When they saw they did they drove off.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Circumstances make a big difference. Where, when, course can all be factors in determining how much attention they pay to you.

We were boarded, way back in the 70s, at about 01:00, 12 miles off the coast of Georgia, sailing from Florida to Maine. We were a family of two adults and three young teens. It was a routine boarding and a quick scan of the safety features, glance into the cabins and an interview with the Old Man about what we were doing, where we were coming from and where we were going. Have a nice day.

On the other end of the scale, the Old Man was helping a friend bring her boat back from Texas after it was found adrift, her husband missing at sea. Her husband, we called "Hippy Fred", made the occasional trip to Mexico to "supplement" his income. He and his boat were in the CG logs.

On the trip back to Florida, when the boat had engine failure and an old main ripped, they called for assistance. The Louisiana CG came out and towed them up the Mississippi where they moored them to a barge in the middle of the river. After that, the DEA descended upon the boat from several locations and several hours of search and interviews precipitated. They found nothing, they did not seize the vessel and were not abusive, only single minded.
Sounds like "Hippy Fred" was on there radar. Guess his last trip to Mexico was his retirement.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I was boarded once, in 2013, after 13 years of sailing that boat. We were anchored in Tarpaulin Cove, and a CG cutter was moored there with us overnight. In the morning I weighed anchor and got underway, and once out of the cove, sailing towards West Chop and were hailed by the CG, and pursued by a RIB with about six Coasties aboard. They ordered me to heave to and prepare to be boarded. I'm thinking why the f*, if they were so interested, didn't they approach and board me during the 12 hours we were together in the cove. They boarded, four or so of them clambering aboard with their black-soled combat boots, and interviewed us, check for placards, etc. We were missing a couple of placards and they supplied one, but said they were out of the others, and we could get it at West Marine. They gave us a receipt and left.

I was annoyed that they "used me" for an apparent training exercise. I was grateful they didn't cite me for lack of placards.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
five times so far.

Once offshore out of sight of land, once coming out of the Bahamas- coast guard dude and two Bahama officials. Once at anchor off Dry Tortugas- they had had a drug drop from and airplane during the night. Once at night anchored off IN Florida and once in Matagorda Bay.

Always very courteous and professional

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
since 1978, I haven't been boarded but have been "looked at" three times.. back in the early 80's some drugs were being run into New Orleans and the Coasties came by and paced us while asking questions and having us show our safety gear.. The other two times were returning from Mexico in the 90's; both times in the middle of the night.. they came alongside in the RIB with machine guns at the ready.. did not ask us to stop.. checked papers and stuff and sent us on our way.. I respect what those guys do and am courteous and cooperative ..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
One time, and they asked...

"Who is the Captain?"

All 3 of my crew immediately pointed at ME!:facepalm:

Thus I am the official Captain. [not skipper]

The Admiral went below for a quick check with him.

I was a bit surprised when they did not ask for the Regulations book, but was shown the USCG registration Document, plus all the hold tanks showed empty and the placards were posted and fire extinguishers showed good.

3 minutes and polite thank you.
Jim....

• Ha
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
A couple times. Once when I was sailing on an overloaded Hobie Cat with no life jackets (I was a teenager then) and once on a lake for a routine inspection. I recently had an experience here in SF Bay in which my friend's boat's engine quit just before we made it back into Richmond Marina (new boat shakedown cruise). As we were flagging a passing fishing boat for a tow a coast guard boat came zooming out of the marina and asked us if we were on fire. We assured them we were not. They left to find whoever had called them about the fire but wanted us to know they were available on Ch 16 if we needed them. They came back shortly and followed us into the marina as we were being towed. There were maybe 6 crew on the coast guard boat all wearing masks and all very enthusiastic about what they were doing. Overall a very positive experience. Nice folks.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Little more complex in Canada. Coast Guard has more of a rescue, navigation role so if they board is likely you have called for help.

Enforcement is more the role of RCMP, Provincial Police or Fish and Game.

I have had a mix of experiences from polite - how are you, show me safety gear, fishing license - have a nice day type of encounter while boating to being almost run over twice while windsurfing. Overzealous, aggressive police trying to give me a ticket. Argued that my fanny pack self inflatable wasn’t approved etc. Dangerous for me standing on a small sailboard while a sizeable powerboat drifted nearby in heavy weather. No ticket so they roared off all angry - hmmm tax dollars not well spent on those events :)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You people (south of the 49) have no idea how lucky you are to have a Coast Guard patrolling your waters.

As quoted by @Hunter216 :
Enforcement is more the role of RCMP, Provincial Police or Fish and Game.
As far as RCMP, the less said the better.

Your CG guys would have to tow a barge behind them just to hold all the drunken power-boaters they pick up until they returned to shore at the end of the day. 95% of all power-boaters are in violation of at least half a dozen regs. at any given time. Don't believe me ? ....................... come to Thunderbird Marina, West Vancouver, and see the biggest collection of credit card captains on the West Coast.

Next time I'm down south (will it ever open ?) if I am ever pulled over by your CG, I would probably try to kiss them. Yeah, maybe that won't turn out so well :redface:.

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Once, off Kingston in the '80s, I think it was the provincial police (not RCMP) that came along side. We had a crowd on board a 36 foot boat and they came along asking about safety equipment. They didn't board, just came along side. After we pulled out about a dozen life jackets (more than enough for the crowd), they buzzed off to another boat. They were reasonably polite.
This spring the police that moor in our club stopped a boat as it was coming out of the harbour. Poor guy was just at the gas dock which is fairly tight maneuvering and looked like he was just heading out of the harbour to turn around. He had just launched that day. The police boat was along side him, right outside the harbour mouth for about 20-30 minutes. They kept getting blown toward the break water, it looked a little hazardous and at times they were blocking the harbour entrance.
I have found the CG to be more courteous than police.