CO alarm problem (?)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I installed a new Kidde CO monitor last Fall. Up to now it has been silent and the readout has been 0.0.
Saturday I worked on the boat. Never started the engine. The alcohol stove is empty. Never heard a peep from the alarm. I closed up when home. Came back later in the day with the admiral. We heard beeping as we approached the boat. Opened her up and it was the CO alarm going off and the readout at 65 ppm. We turned on the fans and aired her out. The boat, not The admiral. It eventually stopped. It went from 65 ppm to 35 and then straight to zero. Later we took a nap with the hatch open and it did it again. Sunday we brought out a different monitor and placed them near each another. Nothing happened anymore. I have both home now to see if it would erroneously go off. Nothing so far.
We've Googled what produces CO. Nothing listed was applocable. Is it a bad monitor? I still remember the horror story from LI NY where a homeowner disconnected his because it was going off and he was having house guests stay the night. None of them woke up the next day.
Any unique boat causes that could set it off? The Nova Kool fridge has been up and running for weeks. Nothing new that I know of.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hydrogen gas is a known trigger of false alarms. Were your batteries charging?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If it turns out to be your batteries, you may need to install a vent line in your battery compartment.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it turns out to be your batteries, you may need to install a vent line in your battery compartment.
Will do if it comes to it. Nothing has changed charging-wise. My charger is always on.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Attached is a list of known chemicals that will trigger a CO detector. Maybe one of them applies to your situation?
Thanks Rich. Good list. I'm looking for anything that might have changed. Especially while I was gone and not before I closed up.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Sounds like this is a CO detector from a box store? There is a reason why something are labeled as marine grade. Humidity is a key factor in false alarms on nonmarine CO detectors.

May 5, 2017
Hunter 49 Vancouver Canada
I had similar problems past two years in board- even overnight while on board the boat- in my case only forward CO monitor would go off- I changed out with new one and same thing happened. I recently upgraded all batteries to rolls AGM as my batteries were going on 10-11 years old and definitely off gassing- so far I have not had any CO alarms going off (a few weeks into it-) the off gassing from the batteries was the only explanation I could come up with and is something worth changing out to sealed or AGM regardless for health reasons - (expensive though) am on hunter 49 with six house batteries and two starter batteries (one for bow thruster and anchor and the other for starter)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks guys. It is a box store unit. For piece of mind and to eliminate the possibility of a poor unit, I should get a marine grade model. This may be the first step since we can't figure out whether there really is something dangerous causing the trigger.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I should get a marine grade model
Depends on your cabin humidity.
There is a link on SBO for full discussion on this.
I even called Kidde to ask about their alarm being "marine grade".
They referred me to a standard that said basically " no such grade"

My monitors went off one time and i test them 2 times a year with a cigarette/cigar smoke.

Jim...

PS: The alarm will almost "wake the dead"

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I run a dehumidifier all the time when the boat is closed up. This is the first season for this CO unit. The old one was way out of date.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I run a dehumidifier all the time when the boat is closed up. This is the first season for this CO unit
The only thing to corrode is the battery compartment. When you change them, mark the date you changed on inside of the Kidde unit.
There is a date tag there.

IMHO ... test it, change your batteries each season, and don't worry.;)
Jim...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Some CO units from Kidde have non-replaceable batteries.
The whole unit has an expiration date like EPIRB batteries.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Your batteries may be getting older and gassing more. Remember that CO monitors have an expiration date. Their ability to work properly declines with time; check your manufacturer's recommendation. Your's is fairly new but heat and humidity can do a number specially in those designed for home use.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Hydrogen. Check your electrolyte levels, eliminate sources and if it still goes off then replace it. Residential CO detectors tend to be pretty robust and when they go bad, they go bad all the way. I learned this lesson as a young hazmat technician. Hydrogen has a cross sensitivity to most CO sensors and some are as much as 50-60 times( 1ppm do hydrogen shows 60ppm on the CO meter.) Where did I learn this? At a Excide battery manufacturing plant hazmat call. There are a bunch of cross sensitivities to them, some of the other more common are halides and florines. Humidity is a issue but usually causes a slow response when taking from one humidity level to another or low reading not a false positive but in the metering would, almost anything is possible. Hope that helps

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good thoughts everyone. All 3 batteries were replaced a year ago. Levels have been pretty stable.
I'm thinking of adding a second CO monitor to see if both go off or just one. The newer Kidde is the one factor in the equation that has changed.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Hydrogen. Check your electrolyte levels, eliminate sources and if it still goes off then replace it. Residential CO detectors tend to be pretty robust and when they go bad, they go bad all the way. I learned this lesson as a young hazmat technician. Hydrogen has a cross sensitivity to most CO sensors and some are as much as 50-60 times( 1ppm do hydrogen shows 60ppm on the CO meter.) Where did I learn this? At a Excide battery manufacturing plant hazmat call. There are a bunch of cross sensitivities to them, some of the other more common are halides and florines. Humidity is a issue but usually causes a slow response when taking from one humidity level to another or low reading not a false positive but in the metering would, almost anything is possible. Hope that helps
Please check the numbers or provide a link. Depending on the sensor, CO sensors do detect H2, but generally are only about 20-60% as sensitive as to CO. I suspect the presenter slipped a decimal or two. The sensitivities to acetylene, Freon, and condensing water are larger, more than double.
https://www.indsci.com/blog-search/understanding-cross-sensitivities-can-help-to-keep-workers-safer/
https://www.raesystems.com/sites/de...ces/Technical-Note-114_updated_03-26-2018.pdf

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm thinking of adding a second CO monitor to see if both go off or just one.
My Boat has two cabins and two heads, separated by doors and even AC systems.

There is a CO monitor in each cabin area and are independent from each other. [Good safety idea]

The only CO monitor that has Alarmed is in the forward cabin, far way from any Battery.:confused:
I tested it and it worked fine and did the "reset".

Next day, I returned to find it "Chirping". Now what?
Answer: Put in new batteries. :thumbup: [the old ones still tested good, but weak]

Jim...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The trick here is that the required amount of hydrogen is less than 0.1 gram, or about 0.5-1 gram of water boiled out of the battery, depending on the monitor sensor and size of the cabin. That is 1/30th of a teaspoon. Granted H2 rises quickly, but this is very, very little. An older battery uses more water because it resists charging.

So it sounds like venting the battery box would solve it, but if the cabin is properly ventilated, it is not a problem. If the batteries are using a lot of water, that is a separate problem.

BTW, the lower explosive limit of hydrogen is 40,000 ppm.