CNG Tank + Gas

cstats

May 11, 2020
Catalina 30 Charlotte, VT
My 1987 C-30 came to me with a compressed natural gas stove and oven, but without a CNG tank. Does anyone know of a place somewhere in New England to buy this? Once the COVID vaccine is widely available and quarantine restrictions are lifted, I’d be fine with driving some distance to get this (I live in VT). I’d rather not do the conversion to propane.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Given how hard CNG is to find and how much shorter a tank will last than propane, Many boater find it best to convert to propane.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

May 25, 2012
i do not know your local laws.
i do know how to get my tanks filled in NE wisconsin.
'everything can be done with proper lubrication'

cstats

May 11, 2020
Catalina 30 Charlotte, VT
There's a place down the street from me that fills municipal vehicles that run on CNG, but they said that they fill those tanks at a lower pressure (2000 psi. I think) than what the marine tanks need to be filled to (3000 psi.). Would this device allow me to fill a tank there, assuming they would let me?

May 25, 2012
there is a video on you tube by the guy that sales the valves. he goes to an auto place in wyoming and it works just fine. that said .......
i do not know your local laws.

call the seller. talk to him. i did.

May 25, 2012
cars are 3000 or above. boats are 2000. hence the valves.
i've been using cng for close to 40 years. as things change, so did i.
i own and maintaine 4 tanks. love the safety for my vessel.

i fill to 2200. when the tanks cool. they are prolly 2000

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My 1987 C-30 came to me with a compressed natural gas stove and oven, but without a CNG tank. Does anyone know of a place somewhere in New England to buy this? Once the COVID vaccine is widely available and quarantine restrictions are lifted, I’d be fine with driving some distance to get this (I live in VT). I’d rather not do the conversion to propane.
You might want to check this out.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Geez. Just make the change and have one less thing to worry about. I bought a special (smaller / pancake) tank to fit in the stern of the cockpit, and had to buy a "special" cover from Catalina Direct to fit the storage box. No longer a worry. Depending on stove / oven use - might have to fill it annually, at any UHaul or other propane dealer. Life is easier ;)
PS We have a LOT of recurring issues to worry about on our boats - to have one that we can make "just go away" is a blessing in my book ;)

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Anyone know of a source for empty CNG tanks that fit in the C-30?
Give Minney's in Newport Beach, CA a call. They used to have them. Of course, you'd have to figure in shipping costs from California.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There is a guy on this forum, and we are neighbors just across the creek from Jabins. I am sure he will chime in, but I don't now if CNG can be shipped?

Jun 8, 2009
2 30 Tall Rig Muskegon
I have a CNG tank that came with my boat when I bought her. But live in Michigan. Let.me know if you want it.

Jun 8, 2009
2 30 Tall Rig Muskegon
Actually I think it has some gas but not sure how much. I took the oven out and never used it. I suppose if necessary the gas could be vented out before shipping.
I don't know what it is worth. Is $100 plus you pay shipping too much?