Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I just learned that the title should have been "of the fifth kind". "Fourth Kind", now means alien abduction and that clearly didn't happen. Or, maybe it should have been, "of the .24567 kind."

awahl

Oct 14, 2012
Endeavour 32 Muskegon
Roger-

First time post for me but I had to reply to this one to thank you- Great little story and pictures...

Also I wanted to ask you something... I noticed that your companionway hatch (slider) has what looks like a supplemental structure on top of it- and couldn't help but notice how nice your companionway looks in general...!

I am the (almost) proud owner of an 82 E-32 here in the Great Lakes (MI) area... On this soon to be mine boat -the companionway slider is one of the areas that needs a little repair. This will be my first boat, my first real venture off land, with a lot of firsts for me to come so forgive me if this is relatively simple to address...

I am attaching a couple of pictures. I have not yet spent a great deal of time analyzing this structurally (still haven't closed the boat deal)- but this is one of several minor annoyances I'd like to address in my first season...

Here's the port side- More of a teak repair here along with a hole:

And starboard side-

Is this just a case of modeling some fiberglass or other composite material to repair this part? I'm not sure what that material is- It almost looks like teak that's screwed on...

Thanks again for the close encounter of the avian kind.
Andy

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Years back my wife called me outside to look at these birds way, way up high in the sky. I couldnt make them out well so got some bino's. While to high up to clearly identify, I was pretty sure they were snow Geese. But the birds i was watching were soaring, circling in thermals. And Geese dont soar. I knew that much.

Some digging into it I learned they were Pelicans. They sure dont look like good soaring birds, with that bog baggy bill, web feet, and that big round belly. But sure enough, they are some of the best soaring birds in the world.

Turns out that in the early days of gliders, pilots would look for Pelicans to help them find thermals. Until you find lift, a glider just glides downhill. It takes thermals to take you up high, and keep you there. But how did the Pelicans know where the thermals were?

It was discovered a few years back that Pelicans see in infra red, and thus, they can "see" the thermals.

Very interesting birds, and they are highly intelligent to boot. Why fishermen would hurt or kill them is simply criminal.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Also I wanted to ask you something... I noticed that your companionway hatch (slider) has what looks like a supplemental structure on top of it- and couldn't help but notice how nice your companionway looks in general...!
My boat doesn't have that particular piece of teak trim. You'll need to learn a lot more about fiberglass materials and repair and systems than I can tell you here. The "Ask All Sailors" and "Musing with Mainesail" forums here are some of the best resources on the web. It's also amazing what you can turn up with Google.

I documented almost everything I did to my E 32 so you should look through my web site:

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us

The projects section is here:

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/StriderProjects.htm

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Andy, Looks like previous owner glued some sealed veneered marine ply (or maybe some solid wood) to a flat thin fiberglass shape that was then screwed to the aft end of the sea hood for decorative trim...?? Teak or Ipe wood is probably OK

awahl

Oct 14, 2012
Endeavour 32 Muskegon
Thank you both! Once we close the deal I will definitely evaluate this further...

Roger- your efforts and documentation of Strider's updates and upgrades is a great resource- Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.