Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I anchored in Poquoson and went below to get a break from the sun and wind and check emai after a 48 nm day. I'd just gotten the computer running when I heard a strange kind of fluttering crash on deck. My first thought was that the headstay had parted and the roller jib had come down on deck.

I rushed to the companionway, stuck my head out, and turned around. Wow. My back still hurts from the spasm caused by the surprise of finding this eight inches from my face:

I ducked quickly back down below and crept slowly back out into the cockpit with my camera. I needn't have worried about the creeping, this bird was utterly unconcerned about sudden appearance. It was as calm as a professional model as I took picture after picture. Then, I sat down and we had some inter-species communication.

Scientists have been learning in recent years that birds are capable of intelligence that goes far beyond our simple, "Brain size equals smarts" models. Pelicans are my favorite birds and the soulful eyes of this creature reminded me of my collie. The way it was completely aware of my presence and movement reminded me of her as well.

After a long, long time for such an encounter, the bird looked me straight in the eye and then took off. If I ever decide to write a fictional account of meeting and alien sitting calmly outside her flying saucer and just sitting like this and assessing each other, this will certainly be the model for the story.

I got some video as well:

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/videos/Pelican.wmv

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Least he didn't "dive bomb" you, thinking you were just a big fish! Nice. We have tons of pelicans here, and they are just a hoot to watch.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That is terrific! Nice shots Roger.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Ahead of the armada

Now that you are ahead of the armada, are you
going to look for alligators?

That is take the dismal canal route?

If you take the "A" route, remember there is an
abandon marina on the port side where about 4
boats can tie up for the night just before the high
rise bridge.

And my wife said you should visit the Alligator Marina
on the Alligator River and visit Wanda. All personality,
ho ho...

Just do not try to find her marina after dark. Unless
she has added some better navigation lights. If you
do try to find her after dark, remember that the billboard
is on the highway and her breakwater is a hundred
feet to starboard...

And then at end of ditch you will find your favorite
anchorage place... Ask if any town after has
Chiropractor services...

Also, James, Dockmaster at Lightkeepers Marina
wanted to tell you he has hot showers available...
Just think of those guys behind you ...

Ed K
Freebird
28' Liberty Cutter
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/3361.html little river

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
It is always a treat to interact with wild critters at a closer than normal range.
That first image brings to mind dinosaur ancestry in a big way.
And the more we watch birds at our feeder, the less anthropomorphic I feel about them.
An example from some park somewhere is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNNl_uWmQXE
Perceived cuteness is relative to your likelihood of being dinner.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
We had a near encounter this summer with a Great Blue Heron, but it wasn't meant to be, I guess:

Herons always fly down the fairway and land on the beach. One day, a Heron decided to take a short cut over the dock, but somehow managed not to see the shrouds, stays and topping lifts all over the place. He came in a low, swooping turn to head to the beach when suddenly, BAM! He caught a wing tip on our neighbors topping lift line, which caused hims to spin completely around, then he crashed into the water, feathers rustling and splashing. Fortunately he was only about a foot of water so he didn't drown.

He got up and shook himself off, and I swear he looked around to see if anyone saw his little mishap! Oh, how I wish I had a video camera for that one, as everyone finds it hard to believe.

Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
Encounters of the Fourth Kind

RL, wonderful pics, pelicans, one of my favorite sea birds, we like collies too, had 2 while the kids were small. Those ruffled feathers on its back, are they normal, don't look normal, are they a result of its crash landing? Your ship may have looked like an aircraft carrier to this guy/girl.

Shoaldrafter, thanks for the humour. Where is Star SC? I may have to trailer from Asheville down to the NC & SC coast, because it is near by. I love south FLA clear waters, but it is a long haul from Asheville. Do my Carolina sailors have clubs, impromptu gatherings, calender events and such that you might inform me about?

David S

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
And so What Did You Discuss .........................

I It was as calm as a professional model as I took picture after picture. Then, I sat down and we had some inter-species communication.
................... in your inter-species communication ?

I mean, everyone today feels they have to be so damn politically correct for fear of offending someone or other. Was anything off limits as far as he/she was concerned ? I guess as long as you kept the conversation to weather, herring, mussels, etc. you couldn't go too far wrong.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Remember the Pelican.. I have always liked this by Mr. Merritt:
A funny old bird is a pelican.
His beak can hold more than his bellican.
Food for a week
He can hold in his beak,
But I don't know how the hellican.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
One day, a Heron decided to take a short cut over the dock, but somehow managed not to see the shrouds, stays and topping lifts all over the place. He came in a low, swooping turn to head to the beach when suddenly, BAM!
You know, that perfectly accounts for the noises I heard. I know that Pelicans eyesight gradually deteriorates due to the impact with the water when they dive and they eventually die of starvation from not being able to see the fish. Maybe this was an older one and didn't see my backstay.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Twas' the Night Before Christmas and on Roger Long's vessel......

I'd just gotten the computer running when I heard a strange kind of fluttering crash on deck.
My first thought was that the headstay had parted and the roller jib had come down on deck.
I rushed to the companionway, stuck my head out, and turned around.
Wow. My back still hurts from the spasm caused by the surprise of finding this eight inches from my face:
I ducked quickly back down below and crept slowly back out into the cockpit with my camera.
I needn't have worried about the creeping, this bird was utterly unconcerned about sudden appearance.
It was as calm as a professional model as I took picture after picture.
Then, I sat down and we had some inter-species communication.
Scientists have been learning in recent years that birds are capable of intelligence that goes far beyond our simple, "Brain size equals smarts" models.
Pelicans are my favorite birds and the soulful eyes of this creature reminded me of my collie.
The way it was completely aware of my presence and movement reminded me of her as well.
After a long, long time for such an encounter, the bird looked me straight in the eye and then took off.
If I ever decide to write a fictional account of meeting and alien sitting calmly outside her flying saucer and just sitting like this and assessing each other, this will certainly be the model for the story.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
what a hoot, thanks Roger, great that you had the idea to grab your camera instead of just have your moment with him (or her). That was fantastic!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 30 Seabrook Texas
We had a strange experience with a pelican on Galveston Bay this summer. The pelican flew at us on the port side, got within three feet of the boat and set down in the water. It stayed there for some time, letting us get about 200 yards away, then flew towards us again, setting down in the water just off the port side. Did this four or five times before quitting.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
We had a strange experience with a pelican on Galveston Bay this summer. The pelican flew at us on the port side, got within three feet of the boat and set down in the water. It stayed there for some time, letting us get about 200 yards away, then flew towards us again, setting down in the water just off the port side. Did this four or five times before quitting.

2 years ago, not long after my dad had passed away, we were sailing at the end of the day toward our marina on SD bay. It was always a great ending for our day because, similar to the way a horse picks up speed coming back to their stable... no matter what the wind was outside of this spot, once we headed in with the decision to go back, it was ALWAYS a fabulous sail with the winds perfect! This one day, we really were enjoying it and a bird began racing along side of us......... speeding up, keeping pace and then circling and starting it all over again. He did that for maybe 6-8 times. It was so cute and so funny and extremely specific to us. We've had dolphin do something similar but never a bird. I thought then that maybe it was my dad checking up and saying hello. It made us feel really great thinking he'd gotten his wings again (was in the Air Force).

So, Roger and Glenn, could this be a passed loved one dropping by to say hello?

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
He was waiting for you to clean the fish you were catching.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.