Close destinations near southern California

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
@jmce1587 I would love a recommendation near mobile
lots of neat places near mobile. If you trailer ur boat, it can be launched near any of the four yacht clubs in the bay. 2 on the west side and 2 on the east side. Not sure if there is a boat launch ramp on Dauphin island. My favorite on the east side is Fairhope YC. Can’t beat the view from a high bluff overlooking the bay. From there sail south to Dauphin Island then you decide if u want to go east to P’cola/Destin or go west to the other barrier islands. Plenty of marinas to duck into either direction if the weather gets bad.

now if you’re close to the Tenn Tom and don’t want to trailer then take your boat down it to mobile. Great trip. I did this from Huntsville in the late 80s. Had a great time.

Dec 21, 2019
MacGregor Venture 25 Galveston Island
lots of neat places near mobile. If you trailer ur boat, it can be launched near any of the four yacht clubs in the bay. 2 on the west side and 2 on the east side. Not sure if there is a boat launch ramp on Dauphin island. My favorite on the east side is Fairhope YC. Can’t beat the view from a high bluff overlooking the bay. From there sail south to Dauphin Island then you decide if u want to go east to P’cola/Destin or go west to the other barrier islands. Plenty of marinas to duck into either direction if the weather gets bad.

now if you’re close to the Tenn Tom and don’t want to trailer then take your boat down it to mobile. Great trip. I did this from Huntsville in the late 80s. Had a great time.
Things I wish I had been doing all along... About to be 50. Bodies breaking down, I just threw my life into the wind chasing pipe dreams. Thought I wanted to be a rockstar.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

Thnx @jmce1587
I’m in Montgomery , and yes I trailer. That sounds like a great May trip. I’ll have to start scouting out some options.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not sure if there is a boat launch ramp on Dauphin island.
I'm pretty sure Dauphin Island has a boat ramp. We spent time there to get a friend's S&S repaired after our anchor rode parted during a storm and we went aground on a shoal in the middle of the bay. Full scale boatworks. This was back when the first Rocky movie came out. It could have changed, but boating was pretty big there, back then. The shallows were filled with skiffs and john boats all raking oysters. They launch from somewhere.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Maybe a whisker pole or... a flag pole? It has a bit of a homemade look about it. So, if you found it aboard your Mac, I'd go with Whisker pole. Look for a bracket anywhere from the foredeck to the front of the mast about shoulder height.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Macgregors to say for sure.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I would have guessed part of the gin pole set up for raising/lowering the mast.

Greg

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I'm pretty sure Dauphin Island has a boat ramp. We spent time there to get a friend's S&S repaired after our anchor rode parted during a storm and we went aground on a shoal in the middle of the bay. Full scale boatworks. This was back when the first Rocky movie came out. It could have changed, but boating was pretty big there, back then. The shallows were filled with skiffs and john boats all raking oysters. They launch from somewhere.

-Will (Dragonfly)
There is a ramp on Dauphin Island.
IMG_1203.PNG

Mar 20, 2011
Jim, thanks for sending over. Last time I was on Dauphin Island was April 2005 for DI race. Katrina hit in August so I wasn’t sure what’s been rebuilt. Is there a marina on DI for transient slips? I plan on visiting that area by boat later this year.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
IMG_1204.PNG

Yes there is a marina that offers transient slips, but For 28 ft and up. Can't tell you anything first hand about it either way. Never seen it, and since I'm under 28 ft, not likely to...

Mar 20, 2011
Not sure for April but yes, that’s reasonable based on Galveston and Freeport marinas for transient slip on 31’ boat. There rates are in the same range +/- a few bucks.

Nov 23, 2018
Schock Harbor 25 Los Angeles
Hi does anyone out there have experience with cellular coverage in the Channel Islands?. I’ve heard Verizon is sometimes working but would appreciate some real world feedback. Thank you

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi does anyone out there have experience with cellular coverage in the Channel Islands?. I’ve heard Verizon is sometimes working but would appreciate some real world feedback. Thank you
I haven’t been keeping detailed notes but with Verizon I do get cell service at Little Scorpion Anchorage at Santa Cruz Island, at least for texting. It can be spotty, however. We were there last in September. With my old Tracfone I could send and receive text messages from there as well to the surprise of many. My wife’s T-Mobile service is not good in the anchorages; although Sprint did work. Might have something to do with the phones; LG then versus Galaxy now.

Last edited: