Close destinations near southern California

Dec 21, 2019
MacGregor Venture 25 Galveston Island
And here's where I am now... I lost the rudder on the freeway (doh! Did I just say that? D: ) so I'm having to use the parts I have to make one work. The sails are in pretty decent shape, Main, Genoa and jib, and all the rigging is decent... I beat the fleas off the electrical, all the thru hulls are tight, I would like to figure out how to seal the front hatch and lock it down. I still have to knock a little surface rust off the keel and freshen that up. I posted some videos on a YouTube channel I made for it.
IMG_20200126_143710.jpg
IMG_20200126_143749.jpgIMG_20200126_143825.jpgIMG_20200126_143912.jpgIMG_20200126_143928.jpg

Dec 21, 2019
Don’t give in to bigger boat-itus so soon. The Mac 25 would be perfect for the NC sound. Check out these two attached files ... both of these trips were in a Mac 22
I’ve done four other cruises in this area in a Mac 22 and another in a Rhodes 22 and one in a Balboa 26. You really need a retractable keel to get the full experience in this area.... and that is probably why it is still wild and open.
I never really took the time to look at maps of the East Coast very hard, I was down in the keys early last year it was a blast! Got the worst sunburn ever in my life but hey we lived through it by God's grace! :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I made a rudder for a Mac 21 once before. There is also rudder craft that will sell you one

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
If your working your way East, check out the gulf coast. Barrier islands off Ms and Bama are great secluded sailing spots and with a retractable keel your golden for getting up close to the islands. You can launch in several area along Ms Gulf Coast. Heading east towards Pensacola and Destin the water gets a lot cleaner.

Dec 21, 2019
If your working your way East, check out the gulf coast. Barrier islands off Ms and Bama are great secluded sailing spots and with a retractable keel your golden for getting up close to the islands. You can launch in several area along Ms Gulf Coast. Heading east towards Pensacola and Destin the water gets a lot cleaner.
I appreciate the answer, thank you!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@jmce1587 I would love a recommendation near mobile

Dec 21, 2019
Can anyone shed any light on what this thing is? Where it goes or attaches and all that stuff? Please thank you in advance :)
IMG_20200202_135009.jpg
IMG_20200202_134958.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Well we're here can anyone shed any light on what this thing is? Where it goes out attaches and all that stuff? Please thank you in advance :)View attachment 174603View attachment 174604
Maybe a whisker pole or... a flag pole? It has a bit of a homemade look about it. So, if you found it aboard your Mac, I'd go with Whisker pole. Look for a bracket anywhere from the foredeck to the front of the mast about shoulder height.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Macgregors to say for sure.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 21, 2019
Maybe a whisker pole or... a flag pole? It has a bit of a homemade look about it. So, if you found it aboard your Mac, I'd go with Whisker pole. Look for a bracket anywhere from the foredeck to the front of the mast about shoulder height.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Macgregors to say for sure.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I don't really see any place in our around the fore deck where it could possibly mount with that one bolt like that it looks like it bolts through something that can't be very thick... I have another pole that I believe is a whisker pole, I'll send a pic here... It telescopes out to probably 10 or 12 ft.

Attachments