Close destinations near southern California

Dec 21, 2019
MacGregor Venture 25 Galveston Island
I have a MacGregor 25 swing keel so I'm not looking to go very far but I would like to go somewhere where there's no red tape or people around. I like to be alone. I'm a new sailor but an old man.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019
good to make your all's acquaintances by the way, I guess I don't need to broadcast that I'm just another greenhorn to the site. I usually don't talk much.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm with Paul. This should have been posted in the "Sails Call" forum- if at all. I trust it will be moved.
It looks more like a thread for Destinations.
What do you think?

good to make your all's acquaintances by the way, I guess I don't need to broadcast that I'm just another greenhorn to the site. I usually don't talk much.
No worries. We're all pretty casual here. I'm sure if the powers that be think this thread would be better in another forum, they'll move it and let you know.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Not sure what you consider far if your on Galveston island. Texas Coast doesn’t have too much in the way of cruising destinations IMO. with a trailerable M25, your destinations are endless if you don't mind driving. Mississippi gulf coast is about a 7 hour drive. Launch and explore the barrier islands. Go further east and Dauphin island and Florida panhandle are great locations. If you want inland, head up to the many lakes outside of dallas.

Dec 21, 2019
Not sure what you consider far if your on Galveston island. Texas Coast doesn’t have too much in the way of cruising destinations IMO. with a trailerable M25, your destinations are endless if you don't mind driving. Mississippi gulf coast is about a 7 hour drive. Launch and explore the barrier islands. Go further east and Dauphin island and Florida panhandle are great locations. If you want inland, head up to the many lakes outside of dallas.
I'm in southern California right now not far from Los Angeles.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, there isn't much to choose from. Catalina or the Channel Islands would be the most remote. Don't have to park in the harbor. You can drop the hook in some quiet cove. Heading south you have Dana Point. Nice harbor and some areas that you can anchor. Next is Oceanside. No anchor locations but they do have guess docks. Heading further south you will hit Mission Bay. Nice anchor spot there. Then San Diego Bay. So really there isn't much.

Dec 21, 2019
Well, there isn't much to choose from. Catalina or the Channel Islands would be the most remote. Don't have to park in the harbor. You can drop the hook in some quiet cove. Heading south you have Dana Point. Nice harbor and some areas that you can anchor. Next is Oceanside. No anchor locations but they do have guess docks. Heading further south you will hit Mission Bay. Nice anchor spot there. Then San Diego Bay. So really there isn't much.
Some quiet cove..... ❤ Next question. I installed a few nav apps on my Android device but I can't decide which is more reliable. I need my getaway therapy ASAP!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Can't help you there. Apps are very personal to the user. To one it could be the app of all apps, while another may think it the scourge of the sea.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you wish to go where there are nearly no others somewhere in So Cal, it has to be a place that’s “cold”, potentially rough, and further away than the usual range of a powerboat weekend quickie. Although seasonal (and winter is the off-season), that destination would be Landing Cove at Santa Barbara Island—46 n.mi. WSW of the LA gate.Take it in two days. First night at Emerald Cove, Catalina Island, then arrive Landing Cove the second night. Anchor in 30 ft. Usually, just you and a night long cacophony of bull sea lions. Refer to Professor Brian Fagan’s cruising guide to Southern California for more details.

Happiness!

KG

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019
Can't help you there. Apps are very personal to the user. To one it could be the app of all apps, while another may think it the scourge of the sea.
If you wish to go where there are nearly no others somewhere in So Cal, it has to be “cold”, generally rough, and further away than the usual range of a powerboat weekend quickie. It’s seasonal (and winter is the off-season), but that destination would be Landing Cove at Santa Barbara Island—46 n.mi. WSW LA gate.Take it in two days, first night at Emerald Cove, Catalina Island, then arrive Landing Cove the second night. Anchor in 30 ft. Usually, just you and a night long cacophony of bull sea lions. Refer to Professor Brian Fagan’s cruising guide to Southern California for more details.

Happiness!

KG
Now this is PRECISELY the type of answer I was looking for! Thank you very much! ❤

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
with a trailerable M25, your destinations are endless if you don't mind driving.
There is a good point. Do you trailer your Mac? I'm not familiar with the sailing on the Pacific coast, but being able to trailer opens you up to off season lake sailing.
Mono Lake and Folsom Lake both look like they have some remote shore line.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you were on the east coast I’d suggest the NC outer banks ... sound side. A great many empty coves with 100 year old Cyprus trees and Spanish moss dripping into the water. Absolute heaven for a swing keel boat

Dec 21, 2019
If you were on the east coast I’d suggest the NC outer banks ... sound side. A great many empty coves with 100 year old Cyprus trees and Spanish moss dripping into the water. Absolute heaven for a swing keel boat
It could be possible I may be on that side around this time next year. I appreciate your reply :) I'm glad I finally decided to open up and talk. I still have a little work to do on my boat but I want a bigger better boat :) don't we all? Haha

Dec 21, 2019
There is a good point. Do you trailer your Mac? I'm not familiar with the sailing on the Pacific coast, but being able to trailer opens you up to off season lake sailing.
Mono Lake and Folsom Lake both look like they have some remote shore line.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yes I trailer my Mac. Some reason I'm not very attracted to lakes but maybe I will after the ocean beats me up enough :) I like being able to haul the boat around, I may end up in North Carolina around this time next year.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Don’t give in to bigger boat-itus so soon. The Mac 25 would be perfect for the NC sound. Check out these two attached files ... both of these trips were in a Mac 22
I’ve done four other cruises in this area in a Mac 22 and another in a Rhodes 22 and one in a Balboa 26. You really need a retractable keel to get the full experience in this area.... and that is probably why it is still wild and open.

Attachments

Dec 21, 2019
Don’t give in to bigger boat-itus so soon. The Mac 25 would be perfect for the NC sound. Check out these two attached files ... both of these trips were in a Mac 22
I’ve done four other cruises in this area in a Mac 22 and another in a Rhodes 22 and one in a Balboa 26. You really need a retractable keel to get the full experience in this area.... and that is probably why it is still wild and open.
Wow you really put that story together really nice! Thank you very much for sharing ❤