Clogged Sanitation Hose

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A bit of hyperbole to say that the Trident hose is as stiff as an ironing board, since that is what Hunter used originally
Not even a hint of hyperbole. Hunter may have used Trident hose, but 101/102 isn't the only sanitation hose that Trident makes. It's highly unlikely that Hunter would have used 101/102, which is a double-walled rubber hose with a green stripe that has a list price of $10 + Trident #101 Sanitation Hose Trident #10 2Sanitation Hose - and it is indeed VERY stiff. It's been on the market for 20+ years without a single reported odor permeation failure...something I don't THINK you can say about the hose you just replaced on your boat. I'd bet serious real money that the hose Hunter used was this one Trident Sanitation Hose #148 flex PVC. 'Cuz it or the identical Shields #148 flex PVC is what all production builders use.

p.s. You'd be wrong, Ron.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just to set the record straight, it appeared to me at the time that our boat was equipped with Trident brand sanitation hoses. Not so. I mistook the green swipe on the hose as Trident, but upon a closer inspection turns out Hunter used a Lawrence brand Smart Flex water system hose for our boat's sanitation system. More to follow.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
....turns out Hunter used a Lawrence brand Smart Flex water system hose for our boat's sanitation system. More to follow.
This is all I could find in search for it: http://jgbhose.com/data_returns/detail_company.asp?prod_id=903846&id=139 No mention of sanitation in the list of its uses. I don't know of any water hose that's rated for below-waterline connection either.
Fwiw, I also found a "Smart Flex" hose from another mfr--Legacy, a name similar to Lawrence. I hope that's not the one Hunter used, 'cuz it's garden hose!

--Peggie

Dec 25, 2000
Just pulled the plug (no pun intended) on some new Raritan sanitation hose for the Defender sale price of $8.70/ft. to replace the original 1991 Lawrence hose that has a mineral deposit clog in it that would not dissolve with this non-chloric acid stuff. I'm thinking I might send that company the clog once removed. The person that responded to my complaint seemed aghast that his product did not work and was sure that the culprit was some plastic glob that would not dissolve. Not surprised at no response to my refund question. We'll see.

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Instead of doing all that work with snake, liquids, etc, where you may still end up with a partially clogged hose with limited life, why not remove and replace all sanitation hoses? At least that's what I would have done. And when you are all done and with an empty tank, fill the tank with fresh water from the deck until it runs out the vent openings to clean them out as well!!
Lee

Dec 25, 2000
why not remove and replace all sanitation hoses
Hi Lee, I'm of the old school if it is not broken don't fix it. The forward head still works just fine, but seldom used. Maybe some day I'll replace that hose, but for now money will go towards other projects, such as a head sail repair. If you would like to send some of your extra money this way I would be very happy to spend it. Our money tree is a bit sparse this year. :stir:

Dec 25, 2000
Woohoo. New sanitation hose from Defender was just delivered by UPS. This weekend project time. I'll let you know the outcome.

Dec 25, 2000
Went to the boat yesterday to replace the old clogged sanitation hose with the new Raritan stuff. Used a one inch plastic butt barb fitting between the old and new hose at the toilet end then wrapped them together with one inch black electrician tape. Placed a plug in each end of the old hose to prevent any pooh from escaping. Skipper pushed from the toilet end while a helper pulled from the tank end. Used plenty of liquid soap on the new hose to help it slide through.

When I originally measured the distance using a tape measure, it seemed like fifteen feet would be ample to do the job. Hard to say since most of the hose route is enclosed, buried in the bowels of the stringers and limber holes. To be on the safe side I added another foot to my order. After all is said and done, there was eight inches left of new scrap. That was close.

Hooked everything back together, poured two gallons of fresh water into the aft toilet and pressed the flush button. Well what do you know, boom, it emptied the bowl contents just like that. Then it was time to put the boat back together and celebrate, so I invited my two helpers to beer and burgers at the Brown Lantern in Anacortes.

A grand time was had by all commiserating over our success and a job well done.

Dec 25, 2000
It was a twofer. Got a new sanitation hose and a new furler double line installed with new turning block and double braid constant diameter butt splice. What a load off the mind. Two projects long over due, but DONE!

Next on the list is a genoa sail repair, but that can wait until later or maybe this spring. The cringle straps need to be replaced and UV cloth restitched.

Dec 25, 2000
We used a double barbed plastic connector to connect the old and new hose.
Thanks for that tip. Made a big difference in how smoothly the new hose slid through. Some concern that the new hose would separate from the old as we were pulling it through. Then to my surprise at how difficult it was to remove the old/new hose from the fitting. Sheesh, what a grip!

hsi88

Jul 29, 2014
Catalina 30 Pasadena MD
Not to bring up an old post, but you never mentioned what actually clogged your hose? Seemed unlikely that scale clogged it completely shut without some help from an object dropped into the toilet. Just a guess!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Then to my surprise at how difficult it was to remove the old/new hose from the fitting. Sheesh, what a grip!
It's a lot easier if you warm the hose first. I always used a blow dryer 'cuz, unlike a heat gun, it can't overheat the hose.

Seemed unlikely that scale clogged it completely shut without some help from an object dropped into the toilet.
You'd be amazed at how much scale can reduce the diameter of a hose...see attached photo...and I've seen worse than that. In warm waters, which have a lot more sea water minerals than cooler water, scale can reduce the diameter of a 1.5" hose to 1/4" inch in just a couple of months.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Not to bring up an old post, but you never mentioned what actually clogged your hose?
Crusty mineral deposits from years of use. Combination of sea water flushing and human waste, some of which never made it into the holding tank at the end of a cruise would remain at a low point in the hose until the system became active with the next cruise. I place a lot of blame on the PO. I've been very diligent about flushing fresh water through both toilets at the end of each cruise. But it is what it is. New hose works great.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
..., some of which never made it into the holding tank at the end of a cruise would remain at a low point...
After every cruise (almost) I put about a quart of vinegar into the head hoses to set there while I close up the boat. Fresh water flush, and it has lasted 13 years so far.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
After every cruise (almost) I put about a quart of vinegar into the head hoses to set there while I close up the boat. Fresh water flush, and it has lasted 13 years so far.
Another cruiser on the go.

Drove right by you this spring.