Clean up on aisle 5: how to clean up old cleats

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I am using these cleats to replace the forward port and starboard cleats on my Mac. Thought I would take the opportunity to clean them up before mounting them (crazy right?). Any suggestions on how to go about cleaning them up? They are from a 75 powerboat and are very solid and just have those minor bumps.

If you have a reason why, feel free to chime in with leave them as is and mount them as well.A9609ABD-D075-4247-B972-0121AA131C33.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If those are stainless steel cleats, then a buffing wheel and buffing compound for metal will clean them up nicely.

However, if they are chrome plated or nicely plated bronze, buffing them may remove the plating. On the bottom of the cleat, scratch the plating to see if it bronze or stainless.

Jun 1, 2015
I tried scratching with a nail and with a stainless screw and couldn’t make a dent in it, so I’m going with the buffing wheel and compound. Pics to follow.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
They look plated to me. You can use polish, but the pits are there to stay and will grow. But they don't hurt much.

The question is whether they are bronze (good) or Zamak (bad).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Personally. I’d try some metal polish, like Flitz. I always have a tube on hand. Great stuff and safe even on anodized aluminum.
If the Flitz cleans them up, I'd follow with Collinite metal wax. My SS cleats look like chrome with it even after a winter.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This wasn't the question, but if it were me, I'd look for cleats with the same 2- hole pattern. Keep to 2 holes per cleat instead of 6. If I remember, bottom access was a PITA on my Mac, but sufficient backing is important.

Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
I'd take a look at the marinepartdepot.com site. 6" stainless for $8.32, 8" for $16.83. I added a couple to my 26S years ago.

Jun 1, 2015
Ok, have the forward cleats replaced. You can see the backing plates I used for these. The other backing plates are from when I rebedded all the hardware. The one with three holes and the wire is the starboard pulpit.

The backing material is industrial stainless. I picked up several stainless steel “tea dispensers” for .06 each. Received the normal, “What are you going to do with those question?” The answer, cut them down and making backing plates for everything!

The dark spot under the cleat is the 2nd hole from the original cleat that I have filled. I need to put some grey color on top of the filling to come close to the non-skid to make it not as obvious.

Thanks again for all of the input.

94FC9B90-5399-4987-BF68-4FE6A4B78AB0.jpegF26CF551-0585-419A-9DD3-1479F9A572A5.jpegB7B10449-41EA-4A3C-8E45-C1EB08D85E71.jpeg

Mar 26, 2011
Oh no. You really should not have shown us the snap-lock....

A whole new thread on crimp vs. solder.:huh:

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
"I'm not a smart man": Forest Gump.

But if I were, I would have learned by now that you never post showing the completion of the project, or someone is going to tell you you did it all wrong and you need to start over again. :) Good job on the cleat!

Mar 26, 2011
I was just joking about the wiring... but some people get really twisted up about connectors. It's good to see cleats upgrades.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I was just joking about the wiring... but some people get really twisted up about connectors. It's good to see cleats upgrades.
Sorry, Thinwater. I wasn't meaning my comment to be pointed. Just lighthearted. :)

Jun 1, 2015
Oh, that connector is one of the good features of the wiring. :yikes: That said, I think it’s original from 1990. Also, the lamp cord up the mast has finally given up the ghost.

I’m working on the diagram of what is and what is too be. “Everything” currently shares the same “ground bolt.” I hate where the batteries are located and don’t like where the panels are. Both are taking up prime real estate.

And finally, if you are going to ask questions and post pics here you’d better be prepared for strong opinions to come your way. So, sometime you’ll get the chance to comment on the entire wiring. ;) That will be fun!