Clanking cables in mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

I hav a C-27, I have a mast running lite, vhf antenna, My problem is I have my cables clank in the mast when the boat rocks. What is the best way to secure them?. will I be able to remove them if necessary?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Haven't tried this, but...

... a good service manager told me once that you can quiet them down without pulling the stick by (1) finding a view port or other opening in the mast, (2) pulling the cables tight to that point, (3) applying some place at that point in the mast. it is the ultimate quick, shoddy, dirty, and temporary solution, but it's not too hard to clean out when you next pull the stick, and may quiet things down a touch.

R

Randy

tie wraps

When I had the mast off my 27 I rewired (ant coax and light wires) and put tie wraps (wire ties, zip ties) on the wire bundle every two or three feet in groups of three with the tails sticking out in different dirrections. The tie wrap tails push against the inside of the mast and hold the wires nice and quiet like. I saw the same idea in a sailing mag Cruising World I think. It has worked well for me but I had the mast on the dock at the time so it was easy to do. Good luck.

T

Todd Osborne

Use Packing "peanuts"

If you want a quick & dirty(er) way of quieting the wiring down & you have no internal halyards, climb to the top of the mast & dump styrofoam packing material down the mast & presto! Quiet as a mouse. Make shure the "peanuts" are made of styrofoam though, some are made of water soluble starch and that would just dissolve & make a mess.

H

HJNILES

Clanking Mast Wires C-27

I recently rewired the mast of my 1975 C-27. I have VHF, Anchor, Steaming, and spreader light wires and no internal halyards. I used foam pipe insulation from a hardware store. It's cheap, and pre-slit along one side, so it easily slips over the wiring. I attached the foam to the wiring first, making sure to tape the seam in the insulation, and then pulled the wiring into the mast using a messenger line. It has worked beautifully over the last 3 years even on occassions when the weather has been very rough. Be sure that you secure the foam to the wiring to prevent it from slipping off or shimieing down once it's inside the mast. You can use tape or cable ties for this. Of course all this was down while the spar was on the ground, but still a worth while project. Better than listening to that annoying clank all night!

Status
Not open for further replies.