Chopping down a mast

May 3, 2011
Beneteau & Hunter First 435 & Hunter 37.5 Seabrook & Guntersville AL
Great idea, never thought if someone wanting more. Thanks!

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Thanks for the lead! Can you tell me how much you removed and if you noticed significant changes in the handling of the boat? How big a hit was it to your performance? I really appreciate the input!
5 1/2 feet from 54' mast. It sails fine to me, but I don't race, and I changed alot at the same time... 3 blade prop, dinghy and davits, etc so I can't give u a good speed comparison.

May 3, 2011
Beneteau & Hunter First 435 & Hunter 37.5 Seabrook & Guntersville AL
Thanks! I really appreciate the input.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I get cranky?... actually if you bother to read you will see I have thanked several people who suggested different approaches. I am looking for technical inputs about how this could be done? or technical inputs on why this shouldn't be done? or shared experiences pros and cons from those that have already done it or are contemplating doing it? I look forward to the technical exchange of data. Someone's repeated random opinion about how it will affect the boats value is not really useful. I heard and appreciated your opinion on that the first time, thanks. I actually thought I was being pretty open by responding to you with all of the reasons I was still considering this, even with the knowledge that it will effect the boats value as perceived by some. Keep in mind it will greatly increase the value to me, which by the way is the only one really effected by the value of my boat. Please let me know if you have any technical inputs or real knowledge of this specific boat model and how this proposed modification would effect the boats handling or performance? I already have you down in the "you think I'm nuts" and "I'm ruining a perfectly good boat column".

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
So basically you are creating a masthead rig. It might not point as high. I've often thought that my 34's mast is too high. It is at least within a foot of most 36 footers of other makes. It could be the reason the boat is a little tender.