Chopping down a mast

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You really want to cut at least 6 feet off of your mast?! As I said before, this just makes no sense...... But you obviously know better than everyone else. Enjoy your "sail boat"...... it will never sell to anyone else like that.

May 3, 2011
Beneteau & Hunter First 435 & Hunter 37.5 Seabrook & Guntersville AL
Wow, opinionated huh. You did read where others had done the ssme before right? Either they sell or maybe people like them so much they never want to sell? I can't answer for them. If you have a 37.5 then you already know your mast has been cut and welded and of course you do realize that many production and custom boats come with spliced masts don't you? Nothing is irreversible and wears really talking about a very minor change to the rig at three to four feet - the only impact is to the backstay and the mainsail in fact. But thanks for your input. I guess.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Wow, opinionated huh. You did read where others had done the ssme before right? Either they sell or maybe people like them so much they never want to sell? I can't answer for them. If you have a 37.5 then you already know your mast has been cut and welded and of course you do realize that many production and custom boats come with spliced masts don't you? Nothing is irreversible and wears really talking about a very minor change to the rig at three to four feet - the only impact is to the backstay and the mainsail in fact. But thanks for your input. I guess.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Like I said, enjoy what you are creating..... and you asked for opinions and you get cranky with anyone who does not affirm what you want to do.....

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Talk with Rick Zern of Zern rigging in Pensacola. He's done a bunch, including mine. I think you will need to cut below the beginning of the taper for the new top plate.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
You could turn it into a tabernacle mast.
Many sailboats have this feature, installed specifically for the results you need.
No huge modifications, no loss in performance, and probably no loss in value. Might even add value for your location or others'.
There is usually a comprehensive yet simple management system for raising and lowering.

May 3, 2011
I looked at this option first but this is a very large mast section and quite heavy. Being deck stepped really complicates things as there is no natural support for the rotation or way to support a stub mast for that purpose without significant reinforcement of the cabin top. I haven't completely ruled that out but it is probably more complicated than its worth. Thanks

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
If your boat is keel stepped, I'm sorry I was wrong and ignore this... but, I thought the Hunter 37.5 was already deck stepped? If that's the case it already has the necessary cabin reinforcement and compression post. So all you are adding is a hinged mast step on deck and then configure your rigging for ease and safety of dipping the mast aft for bridge clearance. There are a number of considerations like what type of headsail handling you are using, etc, to make the lowering process safe, but I just think its a much more reasonable approach than shortening the mast. I'm not going to tell you what you should do with your boat or how it should be done, especially since I'm not as familiar with fractional rigs as masthead rigs, but I have to say that I concur with the posts above that cutting your mast is a bad idea for many more reasons beyond just resale value alone. I hope you understand I'm just trying to help you choose a better course of action that will save you future regret.
By the way, hinged mast-steps for a spar your size would be very robust... the thickness of the hinge material and diameter of the hinge pin would prevent an rotational movement as the mast dips aft. I would recommend a Dyneema core foresail halyard, possibly oversized, to handle the load when lowering.

May 3, 2011
You are correct it is deck stepped. I have been looking at an approach where I could hinge the mast just above the gooseneck to make it more practical to actually use it, for example along the Trent canal. There is enough distance between locks that it would-be worthwhile to sail for an hour or two assuming the winds were right if all you had to do was stow the sail on the boom and lower the mast. Its not practical if you have to remove the sails and take off and stow the boom in a typical tabernacle system. I had an approach worked out on a smaller Beneteau I was looking at that was keel stepped. Then I decided to buy the Hunter and that's where my deck stepped comments come from. Right now I'm only trying to solve the immediate problem in my home area. I haven't abandoned a far cruising approach but one step at a time. I'm trying to put my 30yrs as a NASA engineer and my 40 years sailing experience together. After I learn the Hunter better I may go back to something unique. You have got to admit, it would sure be nice...
Thanks for the ideas.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I bet you only need about a 25 degree tilt to get under the bridge. It needs a 18.35 degree tilt to lower from 59 to 56 feet....but that's pivoting at the waterline. I don't know your actual mast length. I wouldn't think removing the boom would be necessary.

May 3, 2011
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Like I said, enjoy what you are creating..... and you asked for opinions and you get cranky with anyone who does not affirm what you want to do.....

I get cranky?... actually if you bother to read you will see I have thanked several people who suggested different approaches. I am looking for technical inputs about how this could be done? or technical inputs on why this shouldn't be done? or shared experiences pros and cons from those that have already done it or are contemplating doing it? I look forward to the technical exchange of data. Someone's repeated random opinion about how it will affect the boats value is not really useful. I heard and appreciated your opinion on that the first time, thanks. I actually thought I was being pretty open by responding to you with all of the reasons I was still considering this, even with the knowledge that it will effect the boats value as perceived by some. Keep in mind it will greatly increase the value to me, which by the way is the only one really effected by the value of my boat. Please let me know if you have any technical inputs or real knowledge of this specific boat model and how this proposed modification would effect the boats handling or performance? I already have you down in the "you think I'm nuts" and "I'm ruining a perfectly good boat column".

May 3, 2011
Talk with Rick Zern of Zern rigging in Pensacola. He's done a bunch, including mine. I think you will need to cut below the beginning of the taper for the new top plate.
Thanks for the lead! Can you tell me how much you removed and if you noticed significant changes in the handling of the boat? How big a hit was it to your performance? I really appreciate the input!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well... I can't imagine an experienced sailor like yourself hasn't considered other options, such as this:

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Well... I can't imagine an experienced sailor like yourself hasn't considered other options, such as this:
That's more than a lesson in god-like engineering for us mere mortals... that's BALLS.

May 3, 2011
wow! Best use of water ballast I've ever seen... can't imagine the first time the guy ever tried that...
Its one thing to kedge over using a dingy or with ballast swung out at the end of the boom and creep along, its quite another to carry the speed and opposite rudder to pull off what this guy is doing! I AM impressed!
I fly aerobatics but not sure I have what it takes for this...
...of course I'm sure a bunch of us will go try it in open water...just to see...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We tried the listing to starboard and found our Pearson to be very stiff. With the dinghy on the boom and full of water we also had 7 adults as rail meat all on the starboard side. We got 6 degrees of list, a few inches of height. A lighter boat like a Beneteau might heel easier. Practice at a dock and see your results. There is one part of this equation that most ignore and that's where the masthead is while going under the bridge. If the span is narrow, the masthead gets close to the bridge pier and you cover most of the travel area under the bridge. A plastic 55 gallon drum will get you 400 lbs roughly full of water. Two or three might do it. Cheaper than what you're considering. What's the net of your boat?

All U Get

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Advertise for a mast swap with a 35.5. I used to have one in the east coast and in the Virgin Islands. I would have traded evenly. Mast, boom, sails, all of it.
Making your boat a masthead rig is not complicated. Like you said, cut the three feet or so. Cap the top, maybe add a bale for s spinnaker, cut the back stay and use a staylock fitting. You would be sailing with a smaller main and that is not bad for cruising. I would not worry about resale value.

May 3, 2011
Yep the guy made it look easy but I don't think I would try it,at least not the way he did using power and rudder angle to swing the weight out. Would take lots of practice, lots..