Cherubini Raider 33 (Not a Hunter) rudder shoe

Mar 15, 2021
Cherubini Raider 33 Chelsea, NY
Hey folks. After I pulled my boat this year I noticed that I lost the shoe/plate which secures the lower pintle of the rudder. I have a feeling it was knocked loose during launch. I doubt that anyone has a C Raider 33 since there were only 30 made. But if anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be great. The set up is different than anything I have seen before.

Mar 15, 2021
You are 100% correct. The first image is when the shoe was in place. The second is a side view after I lost the piece. I wish I had the forethought to take more pics when the piece was in place.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You will probably have to make a pattern and have a machinist make on for you. However, if you contact Cherubini they may have the shop drawings or may be able to fabricate on for you.

Sep 24, 2018
Raider Yachts 33 Middle River
Hi Wulf71,

Actually, I have a Raider 33, # 23 of 29, Calamay, sailing out of Middle River Maryland.

I have attached a picture but my shoe is a one piece cast, so I'm not sure it helps you.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help!
Bob

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It certainly looks like the 'shoe' on my H30C from 1979.
Good chance it is. Over the years I've learned that boat builders don't like to reinvent the wheel or the rudder shoe. If it works for one boat model, then use it on another.

Mar 15, 2021
Thank you so much for the picture. That is very different than what I had on mine. There are not many Raiders out there.There were actually 30 of the Raiders made, I bought #30 from the original owner who had it delivered in 1985. I will probably, eventually, have a traditional shoe made with the through bolts. For now I am fabricating the bottom plate and have it screwed up into the skeg. I am going to glass it as well which will make the removal difficult when I want to drop my rudder next year.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
There are not many Raiders out there.There were actually 30 of the Raiders made, I bought #30 from the original owner who had it delivered in 1985.
There were actually 29 R33s made by Raider Yacht (Joe Cherubini - brother of the designer - sons Peter and Brian and daughter Phyllis) between 1976 and 1983. The last two (which I helped build) were done in summer 1983. That autumn the molds were sold to someone in Florida who may have built the '1985' boat you have.

To my knowledge, given the above, you have the only non-Cherubini-built Raider; and yours is a surprise to me.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I will probably, eventually, have a traditional shoe made with the through bolts. For now I am fabricating the bottom plate and have it screwed up into the skeg. I am going to glass it as well which will make the removal difficult when I want to drop my rudder next year.
I would advise not 'glassing it but attaching it mechanically. When I repaired one of these after Superstorm Sandy I bolted the original skeg back into the hull (with sufficient backing plates) but these became inaccessible bolts - had to cut 3" round hole in skin of skeg to hold them with wrench. When the hole was 'glassed over it made no sense to retain the accessibility and so the whole skeg was 'glassed to the hull.

I would recommend a structure by which the fiberglass skeg is permanently 'glassed to the hull and the metal 'shoe' is stuck to the bottom with 5200. This shoe should have an SS rod, with threads and a nut on bottom, going straight up through the skeg to the inside of the boat where it is retained by another plate and another nut on top. This could as well be a blade too, with more than one nut; but then it would not be removable for inspection and repair (with my way you could drop the rod out the bottom of the skeg if you lift the boat high enough, such as by TravelLift). Make the rod about 5/8" or 3/4". Use only US-made type-304 stainless steel. Paint all the underwater SS surfaces in epoxy paint and be sure to fit a cotter pin (a heavy one) to the bottom of the shaft. This will entail some drag; which can be compensated-for by a little thin 'glass cover tacked over the end with sheet-metal screws.

I would not worry about keeping water out of the skeg - though SS immersed in seawater is never good - but would provide a drain hole in the bottom of the fiberglass skeg so it can be drained. If you were really cool you'd provide a drain plug at the top end too and flush it with fresh water from the garden hose every haul-out. Still, the SS will need constant vigilance and should be removed and inspected maybe every 6-8 years - hence my insisting on the nuts for the rod, rather than threading it into the SS plates - or, worse, welding it all as one.

Now; if you could have the whole thing made in marine bronze.... ;)

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I doubt that anyone has a C Raider 33 since there were only 30 made.
There is no forum here for Raider 33s but I would contend that Raider-related posts could be posted in 'Cherubini Hunters' as the boats are, in many ways, interrelated. The Raider is NOT a Hunter boat, and was NOT taken from the H33 or any others; but many of the structures were, for cost reasons, sourced straight from H30 and H33 production models.

Pics are from 7 June of a R33 at New Gretna NJ. Note (if you can see it in these pics) the deep molded bilge which permits use of H33's shoal-draft cast keel - which actually works very well as the boat is then nearly 5 ft deep and all of the weight is way down low. More stable than H33 as well as being lighter overall. Given a true deep keel (as my dad's boat had - 6 ft), the boat becomes a storm-reliable rocket ship, definitely pointing as sharply as the molded bow, which Ferenec Mate called 'like a razorblade', would suggest.

Attachments

Mar 22, 2022
Columbia 26 mkii Charlotte NC
Hi All, I just purchased Raider Cherubini 33 hull #1. It is on the hard in SC. It is in very sound condition but needs lots of TLC. My intention is to restore it. John Cherubini II is advising me on the project. He has a wealth of knowledge and has been a delight to work with.

The boat was originally named Robins Nest, but has passed through a number of owners in MD, VA and SC. If anyone has information about the history of this boat, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Hi All, I just purchased Raider Cherubini 33 hull #1. It is on the hard in SC. It is in very sound condition but needs lots of TLC. My intention is to restore it. John Cherubini II is advising me on the project. He has a wealth of knowledge and has been a delight to work with.

The boat was originally named Robins Nest, but has passed through a number of owners in MD, VA and SC. If anyone has information about the history of this boat, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Welcome and congrats...
Just a gentle note that you'd have been better off starting a new thread of your own rather than waking up a years-old thread, esp since presumably you don't have an issue with the rudder shoe! ;)

Mar 22, 2022
Columbia 26 mkii Charlotte NC
Welcome and congrats...
Just a gentle note that you'd have been better off starting a new thread of your own rather than waking up a years-old thread, esp since presumably you don't have an issue with the rudder shoe! ;)
Thanks. Can I start a new forum for Raider 33?

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Thanks. Can I start a new forum for Raider 33?
Welcome to SBO.

We do offer specific forums for some boats, such as the Catalina 310. This is a popular boat and the Class Association uses SBO for their message board. However, in other cases we only offer forums for a brand of boat, such as the Hunter.

For a forum to be successful there needs to be a decent sized user base or there will not be enough activity to make the forum interesting and worthwhile. Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that only 30 Raider 33s were built. With that few boats and potential members it would difficult to develop the critical mass to make the forum successful.

The Ask All Sailors forum is a good place to seek answers to questions and solutions to problems. While sailboats are designed differently, they are often built similarly. Well thought out questions with clear photos and descriptions of the problem can yield answers and guidance on solving your issues.

Thanks for joining SBO.