cheoy lee

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

happy holidays to all

my wife and I made the descission, we are selling the Morgan 35 in favor of a 40+ft sailboat... we plan to move to Florida and will live aboard the boat.... I have the paperwork in for a transfer with the company.... it will be a few months before anything is made final....

so I have started looking at big sailboats.... I found a Cheoy Lee Midshipman 40 ft... I like the layout and so does my wife... it is a ketch... I am not familiar with the Midshipman and am wondering if there is anyone out there who is, and can give me information on it... I am planning to take a week off at the end of January and go to the boat and sail it a little and check it out thoroughly... I am looking for someone with knowledge about the Cheoy lee sailboats.... their strong points, bad points, concerns, needed changes or upgrades....

any help will be greatly appreciated....

it has fiberglass hull, ketch rigging, new upgraded standing rigging, wood masts and boom, Perkins 4-108 diesel motor. Onan 8kw generator, pedestal steering, a/c and heat, 4 sails (1 main, 1 genoa, 1 jib, 1 mizzen), electric oven and stove (not gimbaled) , 150 gal diesel tank, 150 gal fresh water tank, 2 heads with individual waste tanks (20 gal each), older nav unit, 1- d8 battery for motor and generator, hot water heater and electric pump.... it sleeps 6 comfortably... center cockpit, queen size bed aft stateroom, full size bed v-birth ....

it needs new 3 blade prop, new bottom paint, new mattresses and salon cushions, new main hatch replaced, needs vhf radio, compass, auto pilot, weather station, fridge. there are other things I would add to the boat for my way of living....

sincerely
Jess

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I understand Sumner Patterson will be putting his Endeavor up for sale. I'm sure everyone on this forum would vouch for him as a really good guy you could trust. He's published lots of info on the boat since he acquired it a few years ago.... All the expensive work has been done... i.e. bottom, interior cushions, solar, canvas...etc.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Electric oven? Ick!

Fine at the dock with shore power, otherwise you are running a big, noisy, hot, smelly, noisy, fuel gobbling generator anytime you want to cook.

Elec stoves are pretty rare on sailboats.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wooden masts, lots of teak, Florida sun, an electric stove????

Cheoy Lees are attractive boats, but there is a lot of maintenance to keep them looking that way. How do you feel about varnishing? If you plan to spend anytime away from the dock and shore power, that electric stove is worthless.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
May be a cart before the horse moment. Before focusing too much on boat details, have you looked into the limited live-aboard possibilities still available here in Florida?

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

yes... I understand about the stove, and am planning to replace it with a gimbaled propane stove and oven when I can... I also understand there is a lot of teak inside the boat... I am willing to work the wood to make it look great all the time... I have some ideas on how to modernize it and make it mine and how I see my boat to be... it is a beautiful boat and my wife and I am partial to it... we have other boats we are considering, but are seeking advice from someone who has owned a Cheoy Lee sailboat before.... or maybe someone who has dealt with them in the past...

what I am looking for is 1st hand information on how it sails, and any concerns someone has to the rigging, hull, deck, or sailing characteristics... the information I am looking for is from someone who has sailed or lived on one, or possibly owned one....

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I do. My best mate owns a Cheoy Lee Midshipman, and I have worked on it, and sailed a rut in the water between here and Florida. Yes there IS a lot of teak below, and above as well. These boats we call the leaky teaky's. The teak deck most likely does leak, and the cure was to glass over it all. End of leak. I like the wood, and Jon does big time.
We slid a new Perk in her a couple of years ago, and it has run brilliantly.
It also maybe won't point like you're used to, but it's a small trade off for a very heavy built boat. And keep your eye on the stainless, these Asian companies will sometimes ease in some inferior metals on the boats.

Anything specific I may know. I've been over every square inch of that boat. Being his best mate here, and the chief mechanic I've got a first hand knowledge of the Midshipman. Anything specific I may know..

Attachments

Jan 6, 2010
Everyone's idea of the perfect boat for them differs. I like what some said about maintenance issues & varnishing. Don, being a county neighbor brought up a good point on berthing issues in Florida. Many of the better marinas have a waiting list, some are 1 to 2 years so, Pick your spots early to sign up.

I also like what Chris says as he had first hand experience on a Choy. A friend owned a Choy Lee & his deck maintenance never stopped. In Florida, sun, UV , sea moisture & temperature can beat up varnish quickly. My motto is, "Life's too short to always having to varnish your teak." Below deck, varnish will hold up for decades.

I do remember some year Choy Lee's had a problem with their bulkheads warping & separating & deck leak issues. If it were me & I was going to live aboard, personally I would pick a boat with less wood needing little topside maintenance & never pick one that has teak toe rails.

Like I mentioned earlier, everyone has a difference.......

CR

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Living aboards

I think if you look at Burnt Store,burnt store rd. no trouble finding a slip $$$$$
or Ft Myers beach mooring balls.
I think plenty of liveaboards in Fl.
Nick

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks for the information... it will be added to everything when we make our descission... I just looked at the pictures sent to me by the owner... the deck is fiberglass and so is the cabin trunk... the teak is the toe rail, grab handles and a couple of other items... otherwise the deck is totally fiberglass... the inside is all teak wood, and looks wonderful...

sincerely
Jess

Jan 6, 2010
Nick,

I always liked Burnt Store when in your area & I always had a great time. I also liked South Seas Plantation when traveling South for the jump to Key West.

There are great location marinas on the left coast & I wanted to let Train know to first plan ahead. Some of the better marinas in my area have a long waiting list. Train hadn't yet mentioned any areas he was looking at.

I just don't feel it's a smart move for the Choy Lee. Not knowing the year & with the upgrades he spoke about would be the better move. Newer for him & low maintenance would be my first choice.

If never having lived aboard, for some it's quite a cultural shock. Living aboard off a mooring I also feel is like rough camping, always having to dink back-n-forth for supplies & such. Living aboard at a slip with amenities is the best way to go.

I've seen oft times that some live-a-boards have a cluttered boat & do much less sailing ,which tells me they didn't think it all the way out at first. Others that picked the right plan & boat enjoy living on their boat & sail more often.

I hope I don't get beat up from live-a-boards for saying this.

CR

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
If its got teak decks, invariably it was laid over 'plywood' and there will be 6000± screws holding down those teak strakes. The life span of such a deck is only about 15-20 years, less for the 'underlayment' once the 'thiokol' separates from the underside of those strakes.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

capnron - thanks... I do have a plan, but do not know where the company will allow me to transfer yet..... there are 9 locations in florida I could be transferred too... it will depend on where they will need me.... I work for the railroad, hence my name "train man jess"....I drive trains across country....

I have been scouting all the areas I could get transferred too in florida.... also I could be transferred to mobile Alabama or savannah Georgia.... before I get transferred, I am trying to have a place to live for me, my wife, and our teenage sons (1 mine, 1 hers).... my wife is from china.... she wants to go out shopping every other day for food stuff... I am trying to break her of that and buy for a week at a time.... but living on a boat, her habits will be perfect....

nick - thanks... I have been looking for over a year at marinas in florida .... a mooring ball will do nicely, until I can get a perminant dock someplace... I have found a couple of places that don't have the waiting list, but they are short on ammenaties... which is ok too... I will have my jeep to get around town.....

I appreciate all the help guys

sincerely
Jess

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
To each his own. We prefer a mooring to a marina dock when parked for a period of time. Cheaper, more privacy, less disturbances.
We go to the fuel dock about every 2 weeks for water. Pumpout boat comes to us. Dinghy rides are pleasant. Life is good.
If we were parked full time and working full time we might prefer a dock. We cruise full time so the boat is always ready to go unless working on some project. We seem to park about 3 months every early winter before going to the bahamas.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Where are your Company headquarters in Florida? Different areas will have different prospects for finding liveaboard facilities. It is hard enough just finding adequate dockage in some areas.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Look Good

So when you find your area and narrow down things you can get more
info on where to stay and what is available for you.
I stayed at Burnt Store a few years and is great but pricey and most
liveaboards left to find cheaper and that's why so many slips empty.
What ever boat you decide to live on with your family will be important
with a family with kids and you want it to be good and dry at all times so
from sailor's that I have talked to some times they will say if they could turn
back the clock they would have spent more $$$$$ for better boat because they
found out the one they choose was $$$$$ to repair and was :eek:living on it
with just 2 adults so just think real hard before buying a beautiful looking over
some thing in real good condition.
I have a 1994 RV that I have been repairing for a few years and something better just came along and I will be selling the 94 for low after all the repairs
but some thing better and good price is going to make my life easy for our summer home,the good old stuff just wears out and boats are worse.
Nick

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
I never owned one but a good friend I raced with had a cheoy lee lion 35 I remember It as a well built boat. Teak decks, lots of maintainence above and below decks I remember it as a slow heavy boat, with poor sailing performance.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Yeah, I didn't want to put it that way, but yes.....it is a monster. Bear in mind.....with sailing boats, like a lot of other things there is the trade off. There's little the ocean can throw at that boat and hurt it. Tough as a fifty cent steak..

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thought I would give you all an update.... had the Cheoy Lee Midshipman 40 surveyed... survey came back looking pretty good..... most of what the surveyor said was routine maintenance for the boat.....

needs new batteries for house bank and engines... replacement of propeller... remove propeller shaft, inspect, new cutlass bearing, and new packing... there was 2 places inside the cabin where a portlight leaked, needs wood replacement there (both small areas)... service the perkins 4-108 motor, and the Onan generator... remove and service the ball cocks... replace rudder post packing gland... clean fallen engine room sound deadening foam and replace with new sound deadening material... recommend replacing all existing nave and interior lights with neon bulbs for better visibility.... replace portlights, as they are fogged over... install all required fire extinguishers, fire alarms, and co2 alarms in each compartment...

most of this he said he recommends because the boat has been sitting on the hard for so long...

his final remark was," This vessel, as described herin, was found to be in satisfactory condition for it's indended purspose"

my wife and I am looking forward to buying this boat....

sincerely
Jess