Check your stern tube water nipple

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A reminder for those of you who run a Volvo Penta shaft seal that uses a water nipple. While you have the boat out of the water replacement of this regular maintenance item is easy and quick. I pulled mine this winter and the OEM brass fitting fell apart when pulled. Corroded. No big deal on the hard, but in the water I would have had a big hassle requiring a haul. Here is a picture of the newly installed fitting. Nipple installed and collared by an application of thickened epoxy. FYI, the good folks at Annapolis Yacht Sales parts department sell a kit for $25 that includes the nipple, the epoxy, some cabosil and instructions.
water nipple.JPG

Jun 24, 2014
Beneteau 461 Kent Narrows, MD
Shaft seal.jpg
I just needed the very same repair. I started another block on this issue and got good advice. I bought the repair kit from Annapolis Yacht sales. The lady who runs their parts department is awesome. She know right away what I needed and put it aside for pick-up. Unfortunately this happened in Fall last year. When I tried to pull the hose of the nipple I ripped the whole nipple off the stern tube. I guess after 16 years it was about to happen. I plugged the hole up with a wood peg and plumbers putty. Tight a cable tie around it and it lasted all winter. The boat stayed in the water.
A couple of weeks ago a SLOWLY motor sailed it to my haul-out marina about 5 hours away. There was no heat build up and no leakage. My mechanic replaced the hose nipple and epoxied it in with the repair kit from AYS. A fairly easy job if you have any experience working with epoxy. BUT, important you have to let it cure, harden for 24 hours, as stated in the instructions. We did all this with the boat, Oceanis 461 in the lift slings. Supported with blocks under the keel of course. I spent the night sleeping on board watching the hair dryer curing the epoxy. Next morning we replaced the hose, double clamped it and launched the boat. I did a long test motor run 6 hours to Annapolis in company with Calmat Nyckel from Wilmington, DE. Then another 5 hours to my marina. No leaks found.
Thank you for all the advices I received, much appreciated.
Peter Breit "BELVEDERE"

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Wonderful! Good to know that you can run the drive system without the raw water feed. As a general practice I would not recommend that anyone attempt to pull the raw water hose to inspect the nipple while in the water, you will very likely break it off and create a problem.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I know that I have posted this comment previously; however, it is really disappointing that Beneteau will not supply the OEM nipple. I also purchased a replacement nipple from AYS; however, it is a different size and also the wall thickness is not nearly as thick as the OEM nipple. And, I can not find a nipple as small as the one needed in Bronze. I did locate the original fitting & Epoxy kit from a Beneteau dealer in Great Britain. $143. US including shipping & VAT--- Insane!!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Gunni: Is the nipple brass or bronze? If it's not bronze...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Its Brass. Even the OEM fitting is brass, it just has a much thicker wall than any others that I have seen from AYS, McMasters, etc. That is a big concern for me because the thinner walled fitting is going to deteriorate much faster than the thicker walled OEM fitting. Will have to keep a close watch on it and replace more frequently.

Apr 8, 2016
Beneteau 361 Clipper Garrucha, Spain
Gunni, thanks for the tip, my boats out of the water next week, will check it out.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Brass, as noted by BigEasy. Not optimal and necessitates a regular replacement due to corrosion. My fitting is a standard off-the-shelf 1/4" pipe to 1/4" hose fitting. I found one in 316 SS at Fisheries Supply. If your thru hull is some odd size I recommend adapting the tail pipe to 1/4" for ease of maintenance parts availability.

The fiberglass epoxy stern tube where the nipple mounts can easily be reamed to the size you need. Grind any residual epoxy glue from the old fitting with a dremel tool, vac the dust, test fit the nipple by seeing if the threads engage, and then wipe everything (nipple too) with isopropyl alcohol prior insertion and thickened epoxy bonding.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
My first season with this boat but have read a lot about her systems and set ups. Gunni, will the 316SST fitting require constant replacement? I have not inspected mine but it looks pretty solid. I did try to remove the hose to look at the fitting but it was too difficult and I didn't want to damage it. I'm assuming if it's epoxied in the you have to grind it out to replace. The shaft tube isn't threaded to accommodate the fitting?
I'm on the hard, does this require winterizing???
On a side note I read somewhere that the Volvo seal requires maintenance but I can't find it again. How often and how do you grease the seal?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The seal needs to be greased and burped. I ordered the grease at the beginning of the season..... completely dripless.... you can google the seal and find a maintenance manual that explains how to service... I have one that came with the boat books.
thanks Gunni for the information on the shaft nipple. I will order one for winter project.... sure it has not been changed (2005) although it looks to be solid
And in good condition (probably until I bump into it).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We, in SBO, fear the word Brass and embrace the word Bronze for salt water service.
In truth there is not a lot of difference in the Brass and Bronze Alloys family.

Naval Brass works in Salt Water service.[Fe,Sn,Pb content up]
brass_composition.gif

I attached a PDF file for the Copper alloy ranges for your info, but I understand we can't always tell if Brass is ok unless we know the Brass Alloy and Bronze in general is ok.

Jim...

Attachments

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
It appears this nipple is a weak spot in our boats. It's located under the aft birth (on the 393). Not a convenient area to access. At least it's an area that won't accidentally get bumped. Why not a nylon (plastic) fitting. I use nylon fittings plumbing coolant for CNC lathes which take a beating. They're pretty rugged and I'm sure they won't be subject to corrosion.
Thoughts?

Attachments

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Looks like a better approach than the brass. My concern would be getting a tigh fit on the threaded end into the stern tube. Epoxy around the perimeter of the hole and tap to size?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
I tried to remove the hose from the fitting with no luck. I really tugged on it too. It's still pretty solid so I'm leaving it alone for now. I read too much sometimes but if I do try this I would drill and tap a piece of G10 and glass it in place that way I'd have full engagement with the fitting.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I tried to remove the hose from the fitting with no luck. I really tugged on it too. It's still pretty solid so I'm leaving it alone for now. I read too much sometimes but if I do try this I would drill and tap a piece of G10 and glass it in place that way I'd have full engagement with the fitting.
I like that approach, I have replaced some thru hulls using G10 epoxied to hull tapped for the 3 brass studs, also used it for new depth and speed thru hulls epoxied to hull as backing plates. glassing a piece to the tube and tapping it is how it should have been done from the factory. This would allow easy inspection and future replacement

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Definitely going to replace mine when I haul out in Spring. Checked the OEM fitting at last haul out and it was sound.
To remove the hose, you really have to cut it off the fitting and then, hopefully unscrew the fitting from the stern tube without the fitting breaking. I have read that some owners build up the thickness of the stern tube by using woven roving tape and resin, then tapping it for a new fitting. The added thickness provides a more robust attachment point and allows the fitting to be unscrewed for inspection and replacement if necessary. Still not sure what material I am going to use to replace the OEM fitting. I did purchase a fitting from Annapolis yacht sales; however, the brass fitting that AYC sells is much thinner than the OEM fitting. I May try a 316 SS fitting with a thicker wall.

galynd

Nov 1, 2009
Beneteau 36cc port arthur, tx
Mine broke a couple years ago, while out of the water. I had a mechanic epoxy a nylon (grey plastic) nipple in place. It's been fine since.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
I asked this before but haven't got an answer. What do you guys use to grease the Volvo seal? Would any waterproof Teflon grease work? I have a can of Dupont Teflon White Lithium grease that I use for my thru hulls and Jabsco pump assemblies in the spring. It has a thin straw (like WD40) that would be ideal as an applicator.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I bought a tube of the Volvo grease from a Volvo dealer..... figured it was a couple of bucks and might as well use the recommended stuff although sure other stuff will work as well..... used a straw and got plenty up there. Burp the fitting first. Had not a drop of water all summer with some long (unfortunate) motoring day’s.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I asked this before but haven't got an answer. What do you guys use to grease the Volvo seal? Would any waterproof Teflon grease work? I have a can of Dupont Teflon White Lithium grease that I use for my thru hulls and Jabsco pump assemblies in the spring. It has a thin straw (like WD40) that would be ideal as an app
I read on another site it is a silicone based grease.
Silicone grease is a waterproof grease made by combining a silicone oil with a thickener.
Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon based greases. It functions well as a corrosion-inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant.