ChartPlotter

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I agree that placing the chart plotter above the pedestal is probably too high. You want to be able to read it while seated, as well as standing. Mine is placed at the same height as the table, which works for me. It's about a foot from the compass, but doesn't seem to effect the compass at all. You might be able to experiment by temporarily powering up the chart plotter and holding it in different positions.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Tom, Thanks, that was what I was looking for.. We will see, once the SNOW melts!
or sooner if I can clear it off! ;)

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
We are back from the Chicago boat show and had a great time! we met and listened to, and learned from a LOT of great sailors, Dawn Riley, John Rousmaniere, the Pardeys, etc., Lots to take in, it was very worthy, we also met with the Garmin reps and found that they were quickly able to direct us to the unit that would fit what we needed. here it is..drum roll..Jim had it right, the Garmin echo map 50 series, priced at about $550. has an internal antennae, is viewable in the sun, waterproof with cover and U bracket mount, all software loaded, it also updates 10X a second! and they suggested we get it on Amazon, no tax/free shipping. Now all we need to do is get Maine sail to come by and install it, we will provide the beverages!
I will probably make the mount for the edson binnacle like Long did, That is a nice design!
Anyway, thanks for all the input, I will let you know what happens!
What I liked about the mount design is that you can rotate it down 90 degrees and have it level or almost inside the binnacle, rather than up top and blocking your view. You can still swivel it to watch when sitting under the dodger in weather.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Here is how I mounted mine.

I went with a Humminbird chartplotter a few years ago. With the mount I used an old piece of aluminum l beam cut to size (came off an old dock), cleaned up and mounted to the rail with a SS antenna mount with a matching nut. Cheap and simple.

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Ray, That is a good Idea also, Does that effect your compass?
I need to get to the boat and place it, look at it, than figure it out.. When we have one snow storm after another, with INCHES being dumped, it can't happen. WE NEED SPRING!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
2 Comments

Ray, That is a good Idea also, Does that effect your compass?
I need to get to the boat and place it, look at it, than figure it out.. When we have one snow storm after another, with INCHES being dumped, it can't happen. WE NEED SPRING!
No impact to my compass. Really like the thing Mainsail showed.