ChartPlotter

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I am looking to buy a chart plotter, looking at Garmin 700 series but that is a lot of toys that I may not use, so I am trying to gather information and am hoping to catch a deal at the Chicago Strictly sail show along with comparisons. But we also have a Navpod and would like to determine if there is an easy way to attach that to the Navpod (bracket etc) without getting crazy or having lots of holes drilled!
Thoughts or photos/recommendations would be nice. Thanks

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Garmin chartplotter

I went with a smaller Garmin on a home made mount. It works for me, since it does all I need it to do, and is out of the way, and not in my sight line.

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I went with the Standard Horizon unit. Also in a home made mount, which I am looking for the photos of. I like the unit because it has a slightly larger screen and, with the addition of a dome I have Radar in my Chart Plotter.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I just received my Standard Horizon CPF190i yesterday. Good prices on these units now. I plan on moving the compass on my H30 and mounting it in it's place. The compass will be relocated.

Oct 3, 2011
I have always had Garmin , but like Standard Horizon products, I have a color hand held but would like something with a larger screen that is wired directly in but am not trying to get so many add-ons (fishfinder/radar etc) because I will not use them-basic as possible. I like your mount though, easy to attach and stable. Nice !

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
try Garmin 421 (especially if on sale). You can get one for about $300. And it can accommodate depth (if it is 421s). And if you go for 431 or 441, you will get the maps of US waters included (inland/coastal respectively).

Aug 24, 2009
Found them. This was the original mount I made, that allowed me to rotate the plotter around if you were sitting under the dodger to see it.

Since then I have moved it down between the two support pipes on the guard, just above the compas... (no photo of that yet.)

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Found them. This was the original mount I made, that allowed me to rotate the plotter around if you were sitting under the dodger to see it.

Since then I have moved it down between the two support pipes on the guard, just above the compas... (no photo of that yet.)
I like your mount. I have the same chartplotter. Was the clamp a purchased part or did you make that too?. If you made it, is it out of wood...plastic...aluminum?

Aug 24, 2009
The mount (black part) is a standard $6.00 split rail mount. I made the white plate from some scrap Starboard. That way I could sink nuts into the 1/2" board and have blind fasteners on both the supplied swivel mount and the clamp. It I can find the project photos (changed computers this last fall) I will post. Total mount was under $10.00

Oct 3, 2011
Thanks For all the input, I am leaving for the Chicago Boat show and will try to get a deal there (BOAT SHOW SPECIAL!) but if not I can go to factoryoutlet.com or west marine, I like west marine because the can give technical support right there where I have our boat, but am a touchy feely guy likes to see it before I buy. I also want all the charts loaded on it as that saves alot also. I like your attachment system and will let you know what I end up with.

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Alan,

Garmin is very nice. I had the 546s. The difference between the 541 and the 546 is the number of pixels. The 546 is "high-def" and the display is much brighter and sharper. If you go to a dealer or WM you should be able to see both displays and judge if you like the higher pixels.

And of course the Garmins come with pre-loaded charts for all of U.S. coastal waters or U.S. lakes.

Have fun at the show.

Cheers,
Jim

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
While you can certainly find good deals on discontinued chart plotters, consider that your good deal is only because you have just chopped of 4-5 + years of product support and parts availability off the long end of the deal..

With many discontinued products, parts and product support only last as long as the company can get or has the parts to support the product. This can be as short as 18 months on some popular devices and as long as 3-4 years on others. On our own boat none of the plotters are still supported so when they die, they are gone. I could have still purchased these units new 2.5 years ago but I have had them much longer.. If I had purchased them new 2.5 years ago I would have had no repair support in just 2.5 years...:doh:

Buying a new current model, or the latest and greatest, will result in the longest product support life and in many cases 10+/- years of parts and support vs. 18 months to 4 years... I have many customers who have fallen prey to the good deal then been pretty unhappy when 18 months to 4 years later they can't even get the product repaired, even if they wanted to pay extra for it, because the parts simply do not exist.

Also keep in mind that a discontinued product you are buying may not have been discontinued yesterday or even last month.. Sometimes inventory of DC'd products can last 2+ years on the open market, especially with factory refurb items..... Despite you buying it new but discontinued it may now already 2 years into its discontinuation, as the clock runs... While this may not seem like a big deal on a simple small chart plotter it becomes a very big deal on a networked system with multiple installed displays and networking. It is also a huge PITA on auto pilots etc. that require extensive installations.

If you get lucky, and the product lasts as it should, then a discontinued product can be a good value, but do consider the options.

I always give my customers this same story. Over the last two summers I had many wait the extra three + months for the new Raymarine small "e" series (e7's, e9's and e12's) and last summer the new Garmin 741. I had only one customer jump at the DC'd Garmin 740 and the rest patiently waited for the Ray "e" series or the Garmin 741. IMHO they made a wise choice as they will have these units longer and be able to get a longer service life....

Sure I could have made more money by selling each and every one of these customers a DC'd 740 or older Ray model but I chose to be honest. I made about 4% selling the 741's (there is no markup for installers). 4% Does not even cover the time it takes me to pick the product up, but I try to be honest with my customers and steer them towards the deal that will get them the most bang for the buck, over the long haul.

This service life issue is not limited to any one company and all manufacturers do this. That said I still like Garmin but install it all. Garmin is reliable, they don't use proprietary NEMA 2K cables, have little to no software glitches and have good tech support. Over all you get a good complete package with Garmin, support, reliability, lack of glitches, easy to use & easy to install... Some may have a good product but fall down on support while others may have a horrible product but stand behind it like there is no tomorrow.

I think all the products are and can be buggy these days but Garmin slightly less so. Navico group eg: Simrad, Lowrance and B&G are all the same basic products inside with varying software & shell/case differences. I think they have done a tremendous job in recent years getting into the game but still don't find their support nearly as good as some others.

When I install a Garmin system I stick the manual or CD in the customers chart table or leave it in the boxes. I never hear from them because the system is easy to use. When I install Furuno, Raymarine, or Navico (though slightly less so now days), I get multiple calls even after leaving the manual open and on the chart table. Each one of these calls or call backs exceeds the 4% I may have made selling the priduct and in every case it is an issue of not understanding the product or not comprehending the horse $hit written manual..... ;) With Garmin I can't recall the last time a customer called me to explain how to do this or that...

Unfortunately this is the little dirty secret of the electronics industry and very few installers or dealers will even mention it to you because they are often making MORE MONEY selling the DC'd products than they do when selling the latest and greatest. They also get to sell you a NEW unit sooner!!!! Caveat emptor....

If simple matters, then Garmin still owns that market.....

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
FWIW, I have a 2006-vintage Garmin 3206 that I got with a new-to-me boat a few months ago. Given its age and discontinued status, I had very low expectations for its performance and factory support. After using it, I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the screen, its redraw speed, ease of use, etc. Because of this, I decided to put the effort in to checking on software updates and found that Garmin has continued to update its software, most recently in November, 2013, to fix bugs and support its networking with the newer units. On top of that, they will ship you a preprogrammed upgrade card for a $50 deposit, of which $42 is refunded upon its return, which I think is a great deal. Even better, the card automatically updates the sounder if attached to the chartplotter.

I must say, I'm pleased with every aspect of Garmin ownership and plan to stick with them going forward.

No commercial interest, etc.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Thanks For all the input, I am leaving for the Chicago Boat show and will try to get a deal there (BOAT SHOW SPECIAL!) but if not I can go to factoryoutlet.com or west marine, I like west marine because the can give technical support right there where I have our boat, but am a touchy feely guy likes to see it before I buy. I also want all the charts loaded on it as that saves alot also. I like your attachment system and will let you know what I end up with.

I waited a long time and finally got this Seattle Boat Show special.............

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
We are back from the Chicago boat show and had a great time! we met and listened to, and learned from a LOT of great sailors, Dawn Riley, John Rousmaniere, the Pardeys, etc., Lots to take in, it was very worthy, we also met with the Garmin reps and found that they were quickly able to direct us to the unit that would fit what we needed. here it is..drum roll..Jim had it right, the Garmin echo map 50 series, priced at about $550. has an internal antennae, is viewable in the sun, waterproof with cover and U bracket mount, all software loaded, it also updates 10X a second! and they suggested we get it on Amazon, no tax/free shipping. Now all we need to do is get Maine sail to come by and install it, we will provide the beverages!
I will probably make the mount for the edson binnacle like Long did, That is a nice design!
Anyway, thanks for all the input, I will let you know what happens!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
the Garmin echo map 50 series, priced at about $550. has an internal antennae, is viewable in the sun, waterproof with cover and U bracket mount, all software loaded, it also updates 10X a second! and they suggested we get it on Amazon, no tax/free shipping. Now all we need to do is get Maine sail to come by and install it, we will provide the beverages!
I will probably make the mount for the edson binnacle like Long did, That is a nice design!
Anyway, thanks for all the input, I will let you know what happens!
Here's some instructions for a nice mount: Edson 4, 5, 6 & 7" Plotter Mount ;)

Oct 3, 2011
YOU ROCK!
I have A NAVPOD on top but that would look great! Thanks so much!

Oct 3, 2011
OK, New deal... We got an email SALE! from WM and they had a 1 day sale on Garmin 740s that was 25% off. based on all the research/information received I could not pass it up. So I made the call and it will be here Tuesday, Of course, the boat is still on the hard but..we are getting close!

Oct 3, 2011
If I install this in a navpod would it still affect my compass? The instructions say it should be 32" away from the compass... Our bracket (edson post) is straight up and than angles forward with our navpod instruments near the top. There is a grab bar spot on top we can attach it to but it would be high. I like the side attachment but would prefer the way Maine did it but not thrilled about swinging the compass or hiring someone to do it. Thoughts?