Chart Plotter Replacement

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I've decided to go with the Garman Echomap 74 cv. It has charts already loaded, has the buttons the Raymarine Axiom 7 doesn't, NEMA 0183 and NEMA 2000 ports. The Axiom 7 and Echomap appear to have similar features. Plus the Garman was on sale. If I can install it and power it up then I will have the required chart plotter capability I need. If I can get the Raymarine version of NEMA 0183 to talk with the Garman version, that would be a big plus. I'm sure there are going to be plug issues (wire splicing) etc.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
To help you out look at RM E22158 SeaTalk one to SeaTalkng converter this could save you a lot of time.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
527F3452-C036-4D95-92DE-421CDDA589CB.jpeg
A9200F88-A649-443D-91AF-CE8FBDF349D5.jpeg
The ST4000 has a NMEA 0183 input (rx) connection in addition to Seatalk1 so there is no need for a converter. Just run the Tx (out - blue) wire on the Garmin to the ve+ connection on the ST4000 and the ground (Black) on the Garmin to the ve- on the St4000.

View attachment 159304
A9200F88-A649-443D-91AF-CE8FBDF349D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2013
Beneteau 351 Bluewater Bay
Craig
Come look at my 310 Whits End. I have a RM e7 networked to older standard VHF with AIS, the newer RM autopilot, and Older RM ST 60 wind/depth / speed instruments. Use SEa Talk backbone and converters. Backbone cable makes it easy to network devices.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Craig
Come look at my 310 Whits End. I have a RM e7 networked to older standard VHF with AIS, the newer RM autopilot, and Older RM ST 60 wind/depth / speed instruments. Use SEa Talk backbone and converters. Backbone cable makes it easy to network devices.
See private message on the installation.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Garmin Echomap Plus 74cv appeared under the tree yesterday. I took it to the boat this morning. More issues.
- I've been carefully measuring the existing NavPod hosting the RC435 for width. Turns out, no issue. The problem is height. The cut-out for the RC435 is higher than the cut-out required for the Garman by 0.75 inches. So, either I need some sort of mounting plate to cover the gap, or, a new NavPod, GS1500-01, which just happens to cost $330!!!!!#%&@#%!!!!!!
Picture shows the existing unit and overlay of the potential new Navpod and Garmin mounting.

- While I can splice in the existing 12VDC power to the Garman from the existing Raymarine plug and get the chart plotter function I need, that won't connect the NMEA 183. I appreciate the diagrams from LeslieTroyer, but once again there is a problem. The existing Raymarine Plug has the following six pins:
+12VDC
Ground
NMEA 0183 Input common
NMEA 0183 Output common
NMEA 0183 output
NMEA 0183 Input
The Garmin has a four pin plug:
+12VDC
Ground
NMEA 0183 output
NMEA 0183 Input
I can cut the Raymarine wires and connect to the Garmin plug, but there is nothing to which I can connect the Raymarine NMEA common lines. What do I do with those?

- The fasteners on the existing Navpod are as shown in the attached picture. They appear to be a standard hex drive, but there is a center pin preventing a hex drive to connect. I have no way to remove the existing pod. Any ideas?

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Garmin Echomap Plus 74cv appeared under the tree yesterday. I took it to the boat this morning. More issues.
- I've been carefully measuring the existing NavPod hosting the RC435 for width. Turns out, no issue. The problem is height. The cut-out for the RC435 is higher than the cut-out required for the Garman by 0.75 inches. So, either I need some sort of mounting plate to cover the gap, or, a new NavPod, GS1500-01, which just happens to cost $330!!!!!#%&@#%!!!!!!
Picture shows the existing unit and overlay of the potential new Navpod and Garmin mounting.

- While I can splice in the existing 12VDC power to the Garman from the existing Raymarine plug and get the chart plotter function I need, that won't connect the NMEA 183. I appreciate the diagrams from LeslieTroyer, but once again there is a problem. The existing Raymarine Plug has the following six pins:
+12VDC
Ground
NMEA 0183 Input common
NMEA 0183 Output common
NMEA 0183 output
NMEA 0183 Input
The Garmin has a four pin plug:
+12VDC
Ground
NMEA 0183 output
NMEA 0183 Input
I can cut the Raymarine wires and connect to the Garmin plug, but there is nothing to which I can connect the Raymarine NMEA common lines. What do I do with those?

- The fasteners on the existing Navpod are as shown in the attached picture. They appear to be a standard hex drive, but there is a center pin preventing a hex drive to connect. I have no way to remove the existing pod. Any ideas?
That hex fastener with the center pin is an anti-theft fastener. The manufacturer probably has them available, or you could try NAPA. I was able to get the tool at NAPA for a similar fastener.

May 20, 2016
1) I used a piece of 1/8 starboard to make a small plate (bought and cut hole for wrong fusion remote).
2) Nema output -> NMEA input (twice)
NEMA common (both) -> Garmin ground

I have the wrench you can borrow. And if you get a blank I’ll cut it on my cnc for you so you get the perfect fit.

Les

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018
Catalina 28 mk ii Port Orchard
Here you go.... $250 from Anchor Express.

https://www.anchorexpress.com/Navpo...DV-Space-On-The-Left-9-5-Wide-Guard-GP1500-01

I bought my NavPod 1040 from them, and they are drop shipped from the NavPod factory in Oregon. I have purchased repeatedly from Anchor Express, and have been happy with their service. They seem to usually have the best prices on NavPods.

Please don't be surprised: the GP1500-01 cut-out for the Garmin is NOT centered. There is actually room on the left for another 3.6" instrument (in fact, you can buy it with that cut-out, in the GP1500-11 model).

Once you get your existing NavPod open, I will bet that the flange around the lip (and the towers for the bolts from the back) makes it so the cut-out you have diagrammed for your Garmin 74 will not be possible.

Oh, and NavPod supplies the wrench with your new purchase.

Pro-tip: while you are replacing you Navpod, add a USB port to it... always handy.

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
This forum is great. I thank you all. I would not be able to accomplish this project (which I thought would be easy) without your assistance.

GP1500-11 has the chart plotter centered. I found it available for $260. The $250 at Anchor Express is the least expensive I've seen. Thank you! That being said, I'd like to keep the existing pod if at all possible. I need to crack it open first to ensure everything will fit. The required hex bit arrives on Saturday.
The USB port is a great idea!!!!

May 20, 2016
Here you can see the patch on the fusion remote. For yours you could follow the Garmin outline and patch woul only show on above and below the Garmin where the existing hole is bigger.

If you want pristeen. Call navpod for price of top only (most stores only sell complete nav pods).

Les.

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@LeslieTroyer , nice instrument layout. On the i70 display on left it says AWA and AWS. Is it really blowing 100Kts? Or is the AWS the 6.1Kts in the right bottom corner?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Here you can see the patch on the fusion remote. For yours you could follow the Garmin outline and patch woul only show on above and below the Garmin where the existing hole is bigger.

If you want pristeen. Call navpod for price of top only (most stores only sell complete nav pods).

Les.
Top Drawer.............:worship:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I upgraded to the e-7 two years ago and last year upgraded to auto helm. They communicate flawlessly.. A route can easily be laid in by touching the screen, and activating the " go-to".. Coupled with the color digital radar in over-lay it is the cat's meow...

KZW

May 17, 2014

Les.
Your advisee and information has been spot on - and is much appreciated. Very nice installation
I don't see any fasteners on the Starboard. Did you glue it down with 3M 5200?

May 20, 2016
I think I used polysulfide (boatlife). The new remote fastens the starboard down.

KZW

May 17, 2014
The rain / fog / damp let up enough this afternoon that I was able to open up the NavPod today. The good news is the Garmin will fit in the existing pod. I will still need Starboard as the RC435 cut-out is 3/4 inch higher than the Garmin cut out. The only wires were the Power/Raymarine NEMA0183 plug and the GPS Antenna plug. I won't need the GPS antenna and will pull that wire out. The splice job to connect the Garmin 4 -pin plug to the Raymarine 7-pin plug (one pin isn't used) looks straight forward.
I'm inclined to solder then slide heat shrink (the kind with the glue on the inside to cover the soldered splice. However, I've heard one should not solder, but only use crimp connectors in a boat. Anyone know why? These wires won't be carrying much current.
I've also measured for a USB plug. There is room.