Chart Plotter Replacement

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have a iPhone 6 -so would not call you a Luddite. You can do this without an expensive installer. Once you select the new plotter just post here what you have and folks here will help you connect it up. The hard part is bolting parts down so they look nice and running wires from point A to point B.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
RM dose have a adaptor to convert its Seatalk2 to Seatalk Ng which is nmea2000 so you don't have to change out all your working Seatalk2 devices if they still work. Les has a knowledge of this as you should see his setup. So the bottom line is don't be scared to look at all brands of chart plotters and pick the best that your comfortable with as they all have pros and cons.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Seatalk Ng which is nmea2000
Almost, but SeaTalkNG, has a proprietary "fail safe" coding [words] and last I checked the wire color coding was different too.
I would look at your AutoPilot, if RM, you will need an expert to convert to other platforms.
Jim...

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
My RM Ap working with a Garmin 840sx with no problem for connections (plug and play) but over time I will be replacing other RM stuff with Garmin units.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My RM Ap working
I have no issue with that. The issue is "fail safe".
You Autopilot needs several signals to be "Good to Go" in Auto mode. RM will "fail safe" to "Standby" on loss of any key input signals.
Chart plotters are not key inputs.
Jim...

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The picture shows my current instrumentation mount. The available mount area is 10.5 x 7.5 inches. I really don't want anything larger, that would mean obtaining a new Sunbrella binnacle/instrumentation cover.

The Autohelm 4000 will hold a set heading, or it will said at a set angle to the relative wind. It doesn't follow a route set in the RC 435 chartplotter. The Autohelm 4000 useless above 12 knots of wind or 9 knots in a following sea (and I've only sailed in the Chocktawhatchee Bay or the GCIW so the "sea" has never been more than 2.5 ft). I've not taken the instrumentation pod apart to determine if the top bank of three displays are getting direct inputs from the sensors, or taking the data from RC435. I suspect the former. When next on the boat I will turn off the chart plotter and see what happens. That will be a week or so as Amazing Grace is on the hard for a bottom paint job. I trundled down to the local West Marine and viewed:
Garmon Echomap Plus 74cv
B&G Vulcan 7
Lawrence Hook 7
Lawrence Elite 7 TI
I've not yet seen a Raymarine Axiom 7, but it is on the list to view.

All have 7 inch diagonal displays. All appear to have the functions I need (they all have a lot more functions I will never use). I note all the screens have the long dimension in the horizontal rather than vertical. Vertical would be better, because the thing will be set for track up and it would be better to have more look ahead and where I'm pointed.
I've downloaded the manuals for the above and will be looking through them.

The Garmon has both NEMA 183 and NEMA 2000 inputs / outputs, which is a plus as all the existing instruments are NEMA 183. The touch screen seems nice, but one worries about greasy fingers on it. The included coast charts of the USA appear to be comprehensive. I cannot imagine needing anything more.
They all appear to desire their own transducers which is an issue. I'm not sure my existing transducer will work and I'm not sure the new ones will fit the exiting hole/threads. The Garmon certainly won't.

Anyone have a Garmon Echomap Plus 74cv? If so, how do you like it?

Attachments

Last edited:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
The RM ACU-100 is a self contained unit with it own brain and GPS that can be used by its self or hooked up to any MFD via NMEA-2000 the fail safe is built in for any failure within RM AP brain or its GPS. The main problem is update software I'll need a RM MFD or remove the unit and take it to a shop to have it done, but as it stands I have no reason to do this. RM is the only vender that has wheel AP all others are hydraulic control and I didn't want the extra hassle with installation, I use the AP in both modes Standalone and MFD control.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
It sure is an education.
BTW, I currently use an iPhone 5 and see no reason to buy a new one. I guess I'm just a Luddite!
Clearly this installation, whatever it will be, is beyond my tech savvy. Once a decision is made on a replacement chart plotter, then I will need to seek someone to install it, the bridges, and adaptor cables for all the other inputs. I really wasn't seeking an entire instrument system swap out.
Really you don’t need bridges, adapters, etc... With a Garmin echomap, all you will need to do wiring wise is connect power. It doesn’t need an antenna, it doesn’t need a network, it doesn’t need a transducer if all u want is chartplotter function. Your other instruments should continue to function the same as now. Most other chartplotter with built in antennas should be the same... if all you want is a chart there is no need to network it.

Oct 18, 2012
Replaced an old RC435 with the external antenna on my 2005 Catalina 28 MkII with an Axiom 9. Replaced the navpod to house the chart plotter. The navpod's holes were pre-cut by the manufacturer. Cutting the plastic on your existing navpod is also a potential option. My setup required a RayMarine Seatalk NG to NMEA 2000 adapter cable. This made things slightly more complicated but it wasn't too bad. With the help of a friend, we were able to install it ourselves (Actually, he pretty much did all of the thinking and work). Installation was not difficult. It took a few hours. The Axiom 9 is a vast improvement over the RC435. Against your set of requirements:
  • Charts - yes
  • Waypoint navigation - yes
  • Go to points - yes
  • GPS - yes. Much improved over the RC435 in getting signals from satellites.
  • Good depth display - yes
  • Access NOAA charts -yes.
The Axiom is infinitely faster and has much better features. You will be satisfied with it.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
If you want to keep it "real simple" you can do what I did; replaced my old Raytheon 420 chartplotter with a Raymarine A75 - now the Axiom. The unit has an internal antenna and I chose to not to link it over the network until I have the time to muck around. The unit has a great sunlight visible screen and is quite user friendly. It can do dozens of things that I will never use. Using the built-in WiFi I can link it to my iPad and do trip planning and see the same navigation screens down below. I can even control the boat from down below, not recommended, but if the Admiral is at the helm, I can kibbutz. One issue that I solved by throwing more $ at the project was the necessary modification of the NavPod. After reading about the problems of cutting a slightly larger hole, I opted to buy a new NavPod with a pre-cut hole for the A75.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
One issue that I solved by throwing more $ at the project was the necessary modification of the NavPod. After reading about the problems of cutting a slightly larger hole, I opted to buy a new NavPod with a pre-cut hole for the A75.
What was the issue with cutting a larger hole in the existing pod? I plan to keep the existing three instruments above the chart plotter and expand the hole to make the new one fit.

Seems to me either the Garmin Echoman Plus 74cv or the Axiom 7 would provide what I need and a lot of features I will never use. Both use Wifi to connect to phone or other device for updates, etc. Garmin is $150 less.

May 20, 2016
The Aciom 7 doesn’t come with any transducer or connection to drive one. The AXIOM DV or AXIOM RV models do come with optional transducers but are pricy. Depending on your existing sounder it may have an output that can be connected, or if you also have wind instruments you can add an ITC5 to convert the signals to SeatalkNG/NMEA2000 but you would loose the individual depth/wind displays you currently have.

Some one mentioned a Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter which depending on model of your instruments may or may not work. Yours looked like ST60’s which do have Seatalk connections. This adapter is about $100 + you’ll need both Seatalk and SeatalkNG to NMEA 2000 device cables.

Or keep them as discreet instruments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Defender has the Axiom 7 DV on sale for $530. A transom mount transducer is included, which I won't use but I don't care for that price. The RM CPT-S thru hull sonar transducer will work according to a RM Tech.
I plan on following Les's suggestion of using a ITC-5 to put depth data from my existing ST50 depth and speed transducers on my SeatalkNG backbone and read that data with the Axiom. Unfortunately that requires a i70S display to set depth offset, alarms and speed calibration so not sure how soon I will get it done.

One surprise with the Axiom is that you need to purchase a DeviceNet to SeaTalkNG adapter spur cable to connect the Axiom to a SeaTalkNG backbone. Something like $27 at Defender.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@KZW
I just reread your original post. The Axiom covers your requirements as a stand alone chart plotter. No need to network with anything else.
A big plus for me was the one on sale came with Navionics+ charts.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have a small Garmin chart plotter that mounts on the helm pedestal. It doesn't require a separate GPS antenna input, and works quite well.
I should have mentioned that the Garmin was able to input GPS data to the VHF to enable DSC.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The touch screen on my RM E7 is basically useless in fog and rain. Be sure the Axiom does not have those issues as there are no knobs and buttons to revert back to.

May 20, 2016
@Mark Maulden RM makes a knob and button box that gives the Axiom same grouping as on e7D or the Pro models. I wouldn’t buy an axiom without it.

Edit don’t know how I turned on strike thru but nothing should be crossed out

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
@Mark Maulden RM makes a knob and button box that gives the Axiom same grouping as on e7D or the Pro models. I wouldn’t buy an axiom without it.

Edit don’t know how I turned on strike thru but nothing should be crossed out
I think you have to buy the Axiom pro to get knobs and buttons. And the smallest is a 9” and a boat buck more. They still have legacy products on their website..