Charging domestic batteries Hunter Legend 450

Jan 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 450 Passage Ipswich
I have recently purchased a Hunter Legend 450 Passage. The diesel engine is only charging the starter battery, not the domestic batteries. These charge through a battery charger when we have mains electric or the diesel generator. Am I missing something? Can I add a router switch to the system so that once the starter battery is charged it switches to the domestic batteries? Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks, Andrew

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Could you help us to help you a bit more, please? A basic description of your electrical system would be helpful. Do you have a basic 1-2-B switch or a number of individual switches for the house and start banks? Do you know if there is a battery combiner or other VSR (voltage sensing relay) installed? Where does the alternator output wire feed?

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
If your 450 is like my 410; you need to have the inverter switch selected to the batteries you want to charge

Jan 13, 2016
I notice you are in Spain, what is the voltage of your domestic applications?
Thanks for for reply.
The boats system is 12 volt. The mains voltage in Spain is 230 volts. Our appliances are English ie 240 volts, but all work well when we are plugged in to the Spanish mains.

Jan 13, 2016
I notice you are in Spain, what is the voltage of your domestic applications?
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I have 2x 190AH domestic batteries under the sofa in the saloon. Bythebatteries there is a "Hunter inverter draw selector" with a 1,2, Both selector switch. Under the selector switch there are two on/off switches labelled panel 1 and panel 2.
The batteries are charged by a Sterling Power Products Advanced Digital 4 step mode battery charger.

Jan 13, 2016
Could you help us to help you a bit more, please? A basic description of your electrical system would be helpful. Do you have a basic 1-2-B switch or a number of individual switches for the house and start banks? Do you know if there is a battery combiner or other VSR (voltage sensing relay) installed? Where does the alternator output wire feed?
Stu thanks for your interest,
I have 2x 190AH domestic batteries under the sofa. There is a Hunter inverter draw selector with 1,2 both positions. The batteries are charged by a Sterling Power Products Advanced Digital 4 step switch mode battery charger. The engine battery is above the engine room and seems to be completely seperate.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I have 2x 190AH domestic batteries under the sofa in the saloon. Bythebatteries there is a "Hunter inverter draw selector" with a 1,2, Both selector switch. Under the selector switch there are two on/off switches labelled panel 1 and panel 2.
The batteries are charged by a Sterling Power Products Advanced Digital 4 step mode battery charger.
The inverter selector switch determines which batteries get lined up to either charge or supply the inverter. That has to be selected to the batteries you want to charge.

The 2 on/off switches are the supply to the main DC panel.

You should go to the model info site here and see if there is a copy of your boats owner manual and download it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Thanks for for reply.
The boats system is 12 volt. The mains voltage in Spain is 230 volts. Our appliances are English ie 240 volts, but all work well when we are plugged in to the Spanish mains.
Makes sense, I was just wondering if the boat had been refitted to run dual voltage (12V and 24V) systems. Being that your installation seems to be OEM, I would concur with Don Lucas recommendation that you procure the boat owner's manual and get familiar with the use of the system as designed. Once you realize its virtues and shortcomings then you can start making changes to suit your specific needs.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Makes sense, I was just wondering if the boat had been refitted to run dual voltage (12V and 24V) systems. Being that your installation seems to be OEM, I would concur with Don Lucas recommendation that you procure the boat owner's manual and get familiar with the use of the system as designed. Once you realize its virtues and shortcomings then you can start making changes to suit your specific needs.
This should be straight forward
Firstly, as suggested go to the hunter site where the manuals are located
Charging the batteries from the engine has nothing to do with your inverter. The inverter converts 12v to 120vac (or 220)
On your boat you will likely have a VSR relay which shunts the house to the engine start.
I assume the house batteries are charging fine from the battery charger, or you would have mentioned that.
Is the engine battery charging when the shore charger is running? I suspect not. If I am correct, then the VSR is likely defective