Changing water valve intake gasket on a 1992 macgregor classic

Jul 16, 2020
MacGregor 26C Pueblo
We are new to the forum. We have to change the gasket on our intake valve. We have read that the shaft is too long to take out when the boat is on a trailer. How long is the shaft? Is it possible to use leveling blocks to get the necessary height? Any other helpful hints greatly appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have the same set up on my H26. I crawled under the trailer and made a "damn" around the valve cover using masking tape. Then poured some "goop" into the reservoir and let it harden up. It has been three years and still holding strong.
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG

Jul 16, 2020
MacGregor 26C Pueblo
Thanks for the reply. My issue is how long the shaft is on the intake plunger. I would like to do it while the boat is on the trailer. Do i need to use leveling blocks to get the boat high enough to get the shaft out ?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I understood what you were asking. I also could not get mine off without taking it off of the trailer so I fixed it while on the trailer.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Crazy Dave is still available on this forum if you contact him with a private message if he doesn't see your post.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Kiss, when loading the boat let it set back 4inches so that the valve is not above a cross member. Take the boat home or to the parking lot and drive the trailer up on wooden blocks to the needed height. Change valve and go sailing. If you pull the trailer home, make sure you carry enough portable weight to have the proper tongue weight up front.

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
The picture I posted showing that the shaft was 16.5 inches is of a Mac 26S shaft that I had left over.