Changing the Oil Filter on a Yanmar 2GM20F

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Absolutely brilliant little device. I made one, last weekend. It took about 10 minutes in total and it worked brilliantly. Not a drop was spilled. I made mine a little longer than you showed and it reaches the catch container quite well, no hands required. Just unscrew the filter until the oil starts to flow and wait for a few minutes ubtil it has stopped.

Thank youvery much for posting!!

Matt

Attachments

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Sucking the oil out the sump with the Pela oil suction pump is neat and tidy as you please, but when the oil filter comes off, all hell breaks loose. Oil drains down the side of the block, oil splatters on to nearby boats, oil slick everywhere, the air turns purple with vitriolic curses, grandmothers faint, mothers cover their children's ears, and the heavens turn black with rage. Definitely not a good thing when I change the oil on our boat.
You do know that you're not supposed to remove the oil filter while the engine is running, right?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Made "the devise" using 1/2 copper pipe. Perfect idea! No mess....

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Ralph, in fig 3, you have a small cylindrical piece with wire under the drain tube. What is it? I don't have on my 2gm20f. Btw, I made the tube from 3/4" aluminium tube. Trying to complete the drawing for Chinese factory to mess ;) produce for $3.99 :D

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Trying to complete the drawing for Chinese factory to mess ;) produce for $3.99 :D
No doubt about it, any Chinese factory can do a good job of mess producing this little marvel, but for only $3.99 you say ? ? ? ? .................. there go my hopes for early retirement.

As for the cylindrical device in fig. 3, it's the transmitter for for the oil pressure indicator. The indicator is mounted on the steering pedestal along with the water temp. indicator.

Attachments

fredr

Oct 13, 2008
'86 Cal 33 Manatee River
I use zip lock bags when changing any of my filters. Loosen the filter about 1/8 of a turn, put zip lock bag over filter, remove filter.

fred

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
While the invention is terrific...my eyes and brain immediately went to an engine that looks brand new!

My 2GM20F is 25 years old, runs like a top, but I suspect it was NEVER that clean. I'm impressed.
Mine is 32 years old, and no where close to that clean.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE.... Just unscrew the filter until the oil starts to flow and wait for a few minutes ubtil it has stopped.

How about version "2.0" ? Put a cap on the downhill end of that pipe, and it can hold the oil so you can use the uphill end to pour the oil into a bottle or whatever? I get 10% of all sales.

Jan 4, 2006
How about version "2.0" ? Put a cap on the downhill end of that pipe, and it can hold the oil so you can use the uphill end to pour the oil into a bottle or whatever? I get 10% of all sales.
Patent changes, retooling the manufacturing plant, bribes to mainland Chinese officials, legal problems ..................... too much trouble. :banghead: You go ahead and keep the all the profits. Just don't spend them all in one place.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
My old Chevy pickup has a similar trough under the OF that ends up next to the crankcase drain. Of course I didn't know it was there at first. So first time I change the oil I'm laying on my back under the truck. Drain the pan, put the plug back in so it doesn't drip on the driveway, move the catch pan to under the OF and crack it loose. And the oil runs out to where the pan used to be. I just can't win.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a 3GM30F but similar situation on the location of the filter as is similar on my Northern Lights 5KW generator. I put oil absorbent sheets under my filter and put a zip lock bag over the filter. What oil drips out of the filter that doesn't go into the zip lock bag is absorbed by the oil absorbent sheets. I remove the absorbent sheets and immediately use a fresh one to wipe off any excess oil on the side of th block. Not a perfect solution, but works. I think you could use the pipe idea and just poke a hole in the filter and drain most of the oil into a bottle that way still,utilizing the sheets to catch what might spill out. When through, I seal all of it in zip lock bags (freezer size) and dispose of it at an approved facility.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Great fix...! Before I mounted our remote oil filter I used an awl to punch a top then bottom hole in the filter to pre-drain it.. Worked well but was still a tad messy..

Much easier now though with the filter mounted vertically and easier to get to....

Now THAT is the solution I'm looking for. We also have a V drive (with Yanmar 3GM30F) and the filter is almost inaccessible.

Did you get this from an auto/speed shop?
Do you use the same filters with it?

Great solution (so is the spill catcher that this thread is about).

Chris

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'd like to find a source for relocating the filter also. I'm setting this boat set up for my 60s and 70s so the easier the better. Meantime, I need to fab one of those tools.
Ralph, do you like the Pela oil extractor? Which model do you have? Practical Sailor likes the Jabsco electric pump but I think I could get by with a manual one.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
The Yanmar 2GM uses the same filter as my 2009 Hyundai Accent. Unfortunately I can't find a remote filter setup for the Hyundai though I could measure the diameter of the filter and the thread which would allow me to search for a remote filter setup that would work. I believe the remote housing is really nothing but a diverter. Other question is whether the Yanmar oil pump is robust enough to pump oil to/from a filter mounted about a foot away from the original.

Jan 4, 2006
Ralph, do you like the Pela oil extractor? Which model do you have? Practical Sailor likes the Jabsco electric pump but I think I could get by with a manual one.
Justin,
I find the Pela to do the job very well indeed and takes about 5 min. to remove 2 liters of oil. Tried one (the name of which escapes me) driven by an electric drill and it was hopeless. Just make sure the oil is warm to keep the viscosity down or you'll be at it all day.