Changing Engine Hoses to Hot Water Heater

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
I have the 1997 Hunter P 42. The engine hoses to the hot water heater are leaking lots of coolant through numerous pin hole leaks. My service yard is unable to access the hoses for replacement. Has any P 42 owner had to do this? How?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
If the connections are accessible, which I'm sure they are, attach the new hose to the end of the old hose with very strong tape, like Gorilla or a tape designed to attach to rubber hose, and pull it through.
Remove any snaggers i.e. hose clamps and zip ties.
Wrap the tape on with many turns, but not too thick in one spot.
Like the picture. Except pretending that's 2 hoses attached to each other. Also you'd need tape longer down both ends of the hose to ensure it stays attached.

You'll have to analyse the hose route in your boat to determine if this is feasible.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
BBC I just did this on our 41DS. There were parts of the run that were not accessible as well. What Skipper suggests is good. I took it one step further. I uses PVC hose barbed insert coupler and then ran a 1/8" dowel through the hose and coupler making sure it was flush with the hose. Then put tape around it. Worked very well. Good luck!

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
Thanks anyway. My yard cannot get the floor out. Pulling through did not work. Probably wire tied.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Thanks anyway. My yard cannot get the floor out. Pulling through did not work. Probably wire tied.
Someone is going to have to get in there with a remote camera to find the snags and cut them. Ask a plumber.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
It helps to have someone pushing easily while someone else is pulling at the other end.

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
Yes, have done that with both sewer hoses. But if they are wire tied . . .

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'm not sure why. It's not easy but it's possible. I helped a friend do it about 10 years ago for the very reason you plan - his hoses were leaking.

As I recall, it's a jig saw puzzle to remove them in a certain order and it required removing part of a settee frame screwed to the floor boards. It took us two days of leisurely labor but worth it as he found a $100 bill which was buried under the frame.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
All the suggestions above are great, especially the connection method Nodak mentioned and the camera idea that Skipper mentioned. Why the floor boards won't come out I don't know, removing both fronts to the settees if probably the answer to that. If they're wire tied it must have been with the floor boards out. I would suggest coating the hoses with a heavy load of dish soap wherever you can get to them. The lubrication will help.

Sep 14, 2004
Hunter 42 Deltaville VA
Well, my yard got the floor up and the hoses are replaced, although I don't yet know how. Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@BBC16385 Yard Magic... They have these wands. They see a problem. Wave the wand and voila the problem is solved.
It is so secret they never share the information.
I thought they used crowbars at one time, but then there would be damage... So I am sure it is magic wands. If you learn otherwise, please share.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I thought the magic wand's purpose was to empty your wallet? :poke: