Changed oil and engine won't start???

Dec 8, 2013
Catalina 320 Vancouver
Okay what happened?
Started engine after sitting for a couple of months with no problem. Shut it down and changed the oil. Then hit the starter and nothing!!!. All looks normal ,power to gauges when the key is turned on, just nothing when I hit the start button ???
It's a Yanmar 3GM30 in a /96 Catalina 320
Any thoughts

I checked the voltage across the start button ... Seems to be working...

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may have low battries if they have been sitting for a while...check the voltage when you hit the starter button and see if it drops.......or maybe a bad connection on the starter or battery post....

regards

woody

Dec 8, 2013
Catalina 320 Vancouver
I checked the voltage when I first got to the boat and hey seemed fine, BUT now that I think the charger may have still been connected , Ill check it !

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I checked the voltage when I first got to the boat and hey seemed fine, BUT now that I think the charger may have still been connected , Ill check it !
also, check to see if you accidentally knocked the little wire off of the start solenoid.
it needs to get juice from the button to energize the starter....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Often there is a fuse between the start key or button and the starter solenoid which would exhibit this behavior if the fuseholder broke or the fuse had blown. It's usually the $1.83 fuseholder.

Dec 8, 2013
Catalina 320 Vancouver
I checked for any wires that might have been knocked off after changing the filter and cleaning that area but couldn't see anything out of place. Was going to check voltage at the starter solenoid but need to check which pin is which

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
This sounds like the classic amp drop at solenoid usually caused by aging wiring harness together with atoo many connections in the harness. Best bet is new harness. I did the quick fix on My boat by adding a 12vdc relay to the solenoid. It has worked perfectly for years...

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I checked for any wires that might have been knocked off after changing the filter and cleaning that area but couldn't see anything out of place. Was going to check voltage at the starter solenoid but need to check which pin is which
it should be a small wire connected to a small post on the solenoid near the large post where the battery wire connects.... it may have another small wire with it.... if there are two small posts, one will more than likely be a ground, as sometimes solenoids with isolated grounds are used, rather than a common grounded solenoid which grounds thru its mounting...
if it has two small posts, check to make sure one comes hot when you press the start button, and check the other one for ground...

Dec 8, 2013
Catalina 320 Vancouver
Thanks all!
Found the problem !!! After reading your inputs and a little research fond a corroded connecter between the start button and the starter solenoid .
I new changing the oil wasn't the problem !
Thanks again

Jul 6, 2014
catalina 27 sac.delta
if it has a low oil shut off sometimes the float will stick to the bottom from residual sludge disconnect the shutoff wire and check it again