challenges in the galley

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

We just got an 81 Catalina 22, and are trying to open the galley for service! 1) any ideas on operating instructions for the 2 burner alcohol stove by Kenyon? key things to be wary of? 2) the sink "faucet" pump spray water up from the stem as you pump. instructions or repair tips to fix the seal? thanks for the help!

J

john renfro

galley

hello ed,you will probably have to replace the pump. some are rebuildable some not. if you can get it apart, you can get new "o" rings at an auto parts store. my faucet would allways trickle a little water from the outlet, run back down the faucet and puddle around its base. i e-poxied a 1/4th length of 1/4th tubing in the outlet to allow the drips to drip free into the sink. what model kenyon marine stove? john

E

Ed

stove info

Thanks for the pump rebuild tips...the stove is a 2 burner, Kenyon, and says Homestrand on the valve handles.

J

john renfro

galley

hello ed, if it is a # 205-32a take the stove to a clear spot outside the boat, get a bucket of water for fire supression. pump about 20 stroks, open a valve until until about two table spoons (NO MORE) of fuel fills the little bowl under the burner, close the valve and light the bowl.when the little bowl burns out, open the valve and light the burner. if it won't continue burning, you will need to repete the fill the bowl and preheat part. you will need to do the pre heat part to the other burner if you want to use it also. practise lighting this thing a few times to get the hang of it and get used to the "ball of flame" that looks so huge inside the confines of the boat. john

E

Eddie

"Fire in the Hole!"

We used to always yell "Fire in the Hole!" when we lit the pre-heat fluid on our C27. Stove did work well for us though, and the preheat routine would take the chill out of the air on a cool fall morning as we were putting the coffee water on in the morning.

K

ken

stove'sink

ED.................. If 10 people answer your question..... there will be 10 different answers. My suggestion is: forget pumping the water from that reservoir (it is a breeding ground for fungus and bacteria)........... buy your water at the grocery store and bring it aboard as needed. Stove: sell that alcohol stove and invest in an inexpensive propane camping stove that you can get at KMart/Walmart for about $30. It uses those inexpensive ($3) cylinders. Alcohol stoves are messy and a pain in the ass to operate. Propane burns a lot hotter, cleaner and more even. Just my 2 cents worth.

B

Bayard Gross

I like my C-22 galley

I have a 1982 model C-22 (built in the later half of 1981). I installed a Par electric water pump. Unfortunately, I do not have the specific papers for it right now, but I will try to get them later. Nevertheless, the installation was quite straightforward and simple, as there is sufficient room for the electric pump on the inside of the galley allowing it to it to move along with the galley. The water outlet is quite low and clears the bottom edge of the bulkhead when you push galley rearward. Connection to the battery is easy too, as the battery is only a couple of feet away and there is plenty of space to run the wires. However, I only use the galley tank water for washing, because, as mentioned on an earlier response, things can get dirty. The pump will empty the tank quickly, so you must turn it on and off frequently if you want the tank water to last. I do not like the alcohol stove. It is tricky to light, flames up suddenly, and the alcohol will evaporate from its container, meaning no fish for dinner unless you are smart enough to bring along a gallon of alcohol stove fuel. In addition, as I leave my galley forward all the time to keep weight forward and have access to the handy drawer for whistles, flashlights, sun cream, etc., I prefer to use the space where the stove locates for various maintenance and fidgeting activities and foot placement in rough seas when affixing sail ties. Consequently, I removed the alcohol stove and placed a piece of half-inch oak, inexpensive from Home Depot, onto the fiberglass where the stove rested. I use the same holes to secure the oak that secure the stove, although through-bolted as opposed to just the simple screws that hold the stove. This is nice for rope cutting, hitting my bolt cutter and expanding the diameter on eye straps with a rubber mallet, and a thousand and one other interesting and amusing activities. I use a single burner Kenyon Express butane stove stored forward under the starboard seat just ahead of the galley with just enough room on top for a frying pan. (My stove is not the recalled version.) The stove lights automatically with some “magic” device of modern technology. No matches, no lighters, nothing but a turn of a knob. It heats up well, so be careful if you like your meat rare. However, there is a big problem with this stove in a C-22 of up to about 1985 vintage. The wood lip on the galley in front of the stove will ignite from the heat of the stove. Hence, you must install a metal barrier across this wood lip. I think this metal barrier should be about ¼ inch thick by about two inches by six to twelve inches. I use a backing plate from Boat US that is about 1/8 inch thick, about 6 to 7 inches long and about 2 inches wide. I use copper tube spacers of about ¼ inch between the plate and the wood to compensate for the lack of thickness allowing heat to dissipate from behind the plate instead of heating the wood lip. In fact, I removed the wood lip and ran flat head counter sink screws from behind the wood lip, through the spacers and then into the plate tapped for the screws which are ground down flat against the outside of the plate for a smooth surface. However, you also need to make an access hole in the middle of the plate to reaffix the wood lip onto the galley, which then should be closed with a screw, which unfortunately makes an imperfectly smooth outside finish.

R

Rod

i agree with Ken

I'm storing my galley in my basement right now. I have a grill on board and am considering an inexpensive microwave. For water, I just bring what I need on board with me.

A

Aldo

I'm getting ready to store mine too.

Ed: I'm getting ready to take my galley out of the boat too. My sons are telling me that we need the room. We are planning on building a much smaller storage chest to replace it. It was great when they were little, and I still like it, but we do need the room. I also added an electric pump to mine, and there are several tricks to get this to work reliably for a long time. The switch should be waterproof, or at least have a waterproof boot over it. Another thing is that after I replaced several of the cheap pumps, I went to a better and more expensive pump, ~ $45. I must warn you that if you ever saw what the inside of the clear hoses from the tank look like after water has been sitting in them for a summer or 2 you would question the value of even using the water from inside the tank to wash anything with. On your stove question. We only cook on our boat once or twice a year. I modified a little non-marine alcohol stove that came out of a catalog to take Sterno cans, and to gimbal. This has worked really well for us, and there is no mess associated with it, and it is safe. We have cooked chili, or soup, or sometimes breakfast on it. If sterno can's fit inside your stove without modification, I would at least check that out. My wife neeeeeds cappuccino every morning, so recently I added a 12 volt cigar lighter receptacle to the boat's electrical system, and she uses a coil that we bought at a truck stop, and this has worked well for us for 2 summers. Aldo

C

Campy

Galley

I chucked my galley. I bring two costco cases of water with us for drinking, keep it in the forward drop in. I bring a 10 gallon jug of water for cleaning and washing. I have a hose to refil it. I bought a really cool colemand grill that works way better than the alcohol stove ever did. I also gained a bunch of room for storage. I''m in the process of making new cushions for the starboard bench and I'm also making a back rest and door for the big hole in the side. Looks better. campy "Windsocket" 2226

E

Ed

Thanks All!

what a great set of replies! This was my first post on this site, you have each made it a great experience...I hope I'll be able to return the favor sometime. As for the galley, the spiders in the basement may soon have a new home...the bbq hung from the stern pulpit should take care of most of our cooking needs! Ed

V

Valerie Bass

stove

Our Catalina doesn't have a stove and I have been looking for one. Is it really safe to have propane on the boat? Our Catalina is a 1983.

K

ken

stove/valerie

Valerie............. I have been using the same propane stove for 4 years on my C22.... before that I used it for camping for 10 years. Like any other appliance.... you just need to use common sense safety procedures. I try to cook in the cockpit whenever practical (90% of the time) so I have plenty of ventilation. You can buy propane cylinder holders to store them outside of your cabin if you want to be super safe. 15 years of use....... never had a problem! kennybc22@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.